P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealer has been great! But Honda Motor corp, not so much.There are 3 updates out and the only way I found out them was from this site, REALLY?
I called my dealer the first day someone posted the heat fix on this site and he "couldn't find anything" from Honda on it. Called him back a couple days later told him exactly what it was named and It still took him half a day to get back to me on it which tells me they really don't want to do it or Honda is not doing a very good job of getting this stuff out to the dealers before releasing info to the public.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Smitty335
aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going in today for the comfort kit - I will hit my dealer up to get on a "list" for the clutch cover.
Inquired about clutch fix and my dealer said he's done 3 and Honda will not let him do any right now that aren't slipping.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

C

Cambo

Jun 3, 2017
Denver colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 53932

ITS OFFICIAL.
Honda has finally released the UPDATE CAMPAIGN set to fix all the issues many of us have been having with the clutches.

Who is eligible for this update?
  • ALL 2016 Pioneer 1000's are eligible.
  • ALL 2017 Pioneer 1000's are eligible.
  • 2018's are expected to come with this pre-installed.
This "UPDATE", alters the oil flow to clutch 1 delivering cooler oil in an effort to keep it from overheating. This will help prolong the life of the clutch and help eliminate the chatter you receive.

It is also important to note that this "update" will not fix user abuse or error. Please continue to follow directions found in your user manual for operating the Pioneer 1000 DCT system.

View attachment 53927
View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53920 View attachment 53921 View attachment 53922 View attachment 53923 View attachment 53924 View attachment 53925 View attachment 53926

Also, Here is a PDF version just in case you need the "letter".
Ok so I just called my dealer and gave them my vin number of my 2017 5 place and they said my unit is not on this recall service advisory. Am I to assume that not all pioneers are affected ?

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I just called my dealer and gave them my vin number of my 2017 5 place and they said my unit is not on this recall service advisory. Am I to assume that not all pioneers are affected ?
FALSE. Not a recall either, Its a campaign

Reactions: ohanacreek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If he is checking the recall listing... Ya , He's right. There is no recall.

Have him check the service bulletins.
See post 1.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

For future knowledge, I learned this myself somewhat recently.

Recall = Safety concern repair REQUIRED by CPSC to be performed within a set (usually short)timeframe.

Update/Repair/Service advisory/ETC - Voluntary repair/update/fix where warranty coverage is most times excluded, can go on for years and to future owners at manufacturers discretion.

Reactions: sharp and Ktemplien
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got curious and called my dealer today. He said they're taking names of people that want to get the fix installed but they can't even order parts yet. Now I wait to see how long till they are actually getting parts in.

Also it appears that my rear diff oil seal is leaking at the main drive shaft. They sure as hell better fix that under warranty.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got curious and called my dealer today. He said they're taking names of people that want to get the fix installed but they can't even order parts yet. Now I wait to see how long till they are actually getting parts in.

Also it appears that my rear diff oil seal is leaking at the main drive shaft. They sure as hell better fix that under warranty.

I got pretty much the same response from dealer which I believe is the largest Honda dealer in the Houston area..

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow there are a lot of posts here and I'll be honest I didn't read them all in case I missed something!

But where I stopped I hadn't seen mention of the fact that I'm proud of Honda for stepping up and doing this!!!

I was the first to say really bad things that they weren't going to fix the water intake Issue under warranty so I have to say I am quite shocked they're stepping up to fix this.

Fixing the intake issue was of very little cost but the rewards were great, saving a complete engine rebuild. Bang for buck I would think that was something that should've been under warranty as well.

In either case it appears that Honda has been listening to everyone's gripes and are not trying to do this as they did the water intake issue and I have to say I am very very proud of them for such!!!

As another add-on, I don't think too many people, if any, have ever put as severe a load on the 1000 as I did.

As I said before, I carry well in excess of 1000 pounds of cargo in my bed, driving up and down steep grades, all day long when I was laying base and crusher run on my roads in the mountains.

Because of that I am doing very low speeds under load, clutch riding (the automatic way) and use of reverse.

I've never even FELT slippage much less had a problem, so I am always shocked when I hear reports of the clutch giving out!!!

I too am in no rush as one of the posters said, let's give Honda and the mechanics a few months to wet their whistle on these installs, I hate being the guinea pig :)

Last edited:
Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow there are a lot of posts here and I'll be honest I didn't read them all in case I missed something!

But where I stopped I hadn't seen mention of the fact that I'm proud of Honda for stepping up and doing this!!!

I was the first to say really bad things that they weren't going to fix the water intake Issue under warranty so I have to say I am quite shocked they're stepping up to fix this.

Fixing the intake issue was of very little cost but the rewards were great, saving a complete engine rebuild. Bang for buck I would think that was something that should've been under warranty as well.

In either case it appears that Honda has been listening to everyone's gripes and are not trying to do this as they did the water intake issue and I have to say I am very very proud of them for such!!!

As another add-on, I don't think too many people, if any, have ever put as severe a load on the 1000 as I did.

As I said before, I carry well in excess of 1000 pounds of cargo in my bed, driving up and down steep grades, all day long when I was laying base and crusher run on my roads in the mountains.

Because of that I am doing very low speeds under load, clutch riding (the automatic way) and use of reverse.

I've never even FELT slippage much less had a problem, so I am always shocked when I hear reports of the clutch giving out!!!

I too am in no rush as one of the posters said, let's give Honda and the mechanics a few months to wet their whistle on these installs, I hate being the guinea pig :)
Well said plumber, I agree 100 percent!!! Anything can be broken if you put your mind to it. I have 5k miles on my p1k/5 with no problems other then the heat and intake, all easy fixes. My machine continues to get better with continued use unlike all the other units I've owned over 60 years of riding, my CanAm Maverick 1k was about shot at 4000 miles. I used to race endro snowmobile races, if you didn't know your machines limits you were in for a failure and a short race!!

H

HondaTech

Most OEM's don't pay enough of a labor rate to the dealers I don't believe, nothing new there. Warranty work can keep the tech busy, but isn't a money maker for the shop usually.

When your highest paid tech (me) is making almost a 5th of the labor rate $70/he then the shop isn't hurting.

The clutch upgrade pays 1.6 If your not replacing the clutch as well. So in my case the shop makes $112 plus parts allowance and pays me $24 for the work if I take the whole 1.6 to do it. This business is not a money maker for us techs, atleast not in my area. I'm probably at the top of the pay scale around here when it comes to bike dealers. It pains me to say it but I may soon have to leave this Industry behind.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When your highest paid tech (me) is making almost a 5th of the labor rate $70/he then the shop isn't hurting.

The clutch upgrade pays 1.6 If your not replacing the clutch as well. So in my case the shop makes $112 plus parts allowance and pays me $24 for the work if I take the whole 1.6 to do it. This business is not a money maker for us techs, atleast not in my area. I'm probably at the top of the pay scale around here when it comes to bike dealers. It pains me to say it but I may soon have to leave this Industry behind.

I was faced with that same realization 11 years ago, had to get out if you want to be able to actually enjoy your passion otherwise can't afford any of the toys you work on or have time to use them. Sucks.

I'm just saying, warranty work alone won't keep the lights on. They make less than $88 on the job as they only get parts credit for dealer cost unless something has changed. That's not very much when you look at all their expenses. If they pay you 15/hour, it probably costs them around 20. I learned a lot more about running a business after I left the dealer and went to work for my fathers business.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

It's always bugged me how specialty dealers get much more pay per hour yet pay the employees less per hour. People that are good and love what they do should be compensated correctly.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was faced with that same realization 11 years ago, had to get out if you want to be able to actually enjoy your passion otherwise can't afford any of the toys you work on or have time to use them. Sucks.

I'm just saying, warranty work alone won't keep the lights on. They make less than $88 on the job as they only get parts credit for dealer cost unless something has changed. That's not very much when you look at all their expenses. If they pay you 15/hour, it probably costs them around 20. I learned a lot more about running a business after I left the dealer and went to work for my fathers business.
Basic rule of thumb pay a tech $ 25.00 need to collect $75.00 for overhead.That covers taxes, vacation, sick pay and pure stupidity!

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's always bugged me how specialty dealers get much more pay per hour yet pay the employees less per hour. People that are good and love what they do should be compensated correctly.
I agree, but Honda is short changing the dealers on labor!

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree, but Honda is short changing the dealers on labor!
I'm talking to my self again, HA! That's why the dearer ships are dragging there feet on repairs, you can't have money losing months on end in the service dept with out getting a butt chewing by Honda! You have to spread the warranty service out over several months.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm talking to my self again, HA! That's why the dearer ships are dragging there feet on repairs, you can't have money losing months on end in the service dept with out getting a butt chewing by Honda! You have to spread the warranty service out over several months.
I wonder how many P1's Heartland Honda sold in 2016, bet it was a bunch!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!