Programmer that will change tire size

M

ManofManyStangs

Apr 25, 2020
P'Burg KY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've searched for a programmer that ill allow me to change the tire size. I know about the SpeedoDRD but thought if I was going to spend $79 id just go ahead with the programmer. Anyone know of one that you can change it with. I seen where you can have the computer flashed not really wanting to do that.

Reactions: TxDoc
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
What are you trying to accomplish? Fix the speedo/odo, the shift points or both?

As far as the speedo/odo, the PCM does not feed the speedo/odo, the VSS feeds its signal directly to the speedo so if you are trying to correct the speedo, the only way to do that is with a SpeedoDRD (or similar device). Flashing the PCM or writing table corrections will not correct the speedo, it will only affect the shift points.

As far as the shift points go, there is not a simple table for tire size, shaft/wheel/axle revs or anything like that where you could simply place a few compensation factors. There are MANY tables that base the shift points on output shaft speeds. Correcting the shift points in the tune is a matter of adjusting a whole bunch of tables to compensate for the different shaft speeds.

In my opinion, it would be much easier to install 1 SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo and another 2 units to correct the shift points then it would be to mess with so many tables.

The Talon has 6 speed sensors and it is somewhat of a complex subject as discussed in this thread. You can read the entire thread but the meat of the matter starts here...

M

ManofManyStangs

Apr 25, 2020
P'Burg KY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What are you trying to accomplish? Fix the speedo/odo, the shift points or both?

As far as the speedo/odo, the PCM does not feed the speedo/odo, the VSS feeds its signal directly to the speedo so if you are trying to correct the speedo, the only way to do that is with a SpeedoDRD (or similar device). Flashing the PCM or writing table corrections will not correct the speedo, it will only affect the shift points.

As far as the shift points go, there is not a simple table for tire size, shaft/wheel/axle revs or anything like that where you could simply place a few compensation factors. There are MANY tables that base the shift points on output shaft speeds. Correcting the shift points in the tune is a matter of adjusting a whole bunch of tables to compensate for the different shaft speeds.

In my opinion, it would be much easier to install 1 SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo and another 2 units to correct the shift points then it would be to mess with so many tables.

The Talon has 6 speed sensors and it is somewhat of a complex subject as discussed in this thread. You can read the entire thread but the meat of the matter starts here...

Appreciate the insight yes speedo and shift correction.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I used the SpeedoDRD to fix the shifting rpm in the pioneer with the gear reduction. 1 on the front diff and 1 for the subtrans. It works also for the rear diff to change the speedo for tire size. I run a Talon ecu in the pioneer and have tweaked the shift points with the Powervision 3 also.

Reactions: ManofManyStangs
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used the SpeedoDRD to fix the shifting rpm in the pioneer with the gear reduction. 1 on the front diff and 1 for the subtrans. It works also for the rear diff to change the speedo for tire size. I run a Talon ecu in the pioneer and have tweaked the shift points with the Powervision 3 also.
That is promising information. The only difference is the location of the VSS sensor. See chart here...

Reactions: snuffnwhisky

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!