P1000 Pros and cons, Winch Mounts: Top vs. Bottom vs. Receiver

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I made mine, didn't really want my winch mounted down low in the hole.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to weigh my options for the upcoming winch project now that my dual battery is complete. There are many pros and cons to each of the three ways to mount a winch on a P1K. Mine will mainly be used for property management, so plowing, moving logs, potential recoveries. Very little mud or deep water issues, lots of snow and salt considerations, Heavily wooded lots with narrow trails. Higher end I'm considering a KFi Stealth 4500 but because the winch will see light duty except in the winter, I was also considering lower end one like a Badlands or a Traveler.

I know a bottom mount is the most efficient because of it's lower center of gravity and stronger mount to the frame, but isn't is a pain to free spool the winch because of access? Harder to access if you bury the front end in mud or snow?

A top mount means I have to buy a $400-$700 bumper to mount it on and it will sit up higher which means it's not gonna pull as well as a bottom mount. Top mount is exposed so it's much easier to free spool and it's not buried in the mud. Access is much better but then it's exposed to elements. I could get a cover for it.

A receiver hitch mounted winch is attractive to me because I'll only have to have it out there when I need it. Of course where to store it on the rig will become a concern. Access to the winch would be very good. Also will it work with a plow set up? I fear it might stick out to far forward to lift a plow properly. I think wiring a second rear quick connection point to be able to use the trailer hitch would be useful at times.

Just wondering if anyone else had some input or advise on the direction they went when deciding to mount their winch and why?

Thanks!

Build you own, I did this with scrap laying around my shop.

20161021 164204 20161021 164030

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!