Public land and access

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
So, with the recent multiple designation of millions of acres of wilderness areas and Monuments I started diving deeper into access to OUR public lands. I was concerned that these national
Monuments areas would restrict my ability to fish, hike hunt etc these areas. I learned gratefully that I will still be able to do these things.

I also read further about a Republican house bill that has passed which would return federally managed lands to the states. Of course this raised some very real concerns by me that states would not be able to manage them financially, and would cause sale to private companies for drilling, mining and other economic development with no regard to conservation or our access.

Living here in AK access isn't an issue, if I want to go up a hill, I find a game trail and wander on up. Albeit through devils club, alder and salmonberry thickets. Regardless, I can still go and recreate wherever I please.

You guys in the lower 48, has this been something you're concerned about? I plan to retire in or around Boise, and a big appeal of Idaho, is that nearly 70% of the state is public land.

Not tying to get political or anything like that, just curious what fellow outdoorsman, hunters and fisherman are dealing with near them.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is my biggest concern of the upcoming US and Idaho administration. We are very lucky here and I think you have chosen a very good area to retire. I live about an hour and half east of Boise and love it. We are surrounded by BLM on all sides and have the luxury of riding, hunting and fishing right out my back door. We have a pretty sustainable elk herd that live within 3 miles of me and I don't know many people that can say that. But if the state takes over this will be all gone. The BLM has already restricted cross country travel so the pics that you see CP aren't possible around here but if the state takes over you will see many "State Property No Trespassing" or Private Property Signs. I sat in on a few meetings from our local state representatives and you get conflicting (political jargon). Our local rep from Fairfield said there is no intention of taking over the land and selling it (he was up for reelection at this time), but 1 year before that he said it is written in the state constitution that the state has to get the most bang for it's buck on state properties. That means they will have to sell it. We had a fire about 2 hours north of me this summer that burned for more then 2 months. The last estimate they said is that it cost over $94 million to fight it and I heard closer to $110. This is just the cost of fighting it and does count the cost to rehabilitate it for the next 5 to 10 years. There is no way that state can pay for that without selling a little chunk here and there. Thankfully enough it sounds like Trumps pick for Dept of Interior head from Montana is not to keen on the state take over but we will see. Believe me, I don't think the US BLM and Forest Service are doing there best to manage that lands, but I really think the state will do worse. So if you plan on retiring you better get here soon or maybe you could buy your own piece when they have to sell it off.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
That is my biggest concern of the upcoming US and Idaho administration. We are very lucky here and I think you have chosen a very good area to retire. I live about an hour and half east of Boise and love it. We are surrounded by BLM on all sides and have the luxury of riding, hunting and fishing right out my back door. We have a pretty sustainable elk herd that live within 3 miles of me and I don't know many people that can say that. But if the state takes over this will be all gone. The BLM has already restricted cross country travel so the pics that you see CP aren't possible around here but if the state takes over you will see many "State Property No Trespassing" or Private Property Signs. I sat in on a few meetings from our local state representatives and you get conflicting (political jargon). Our local rep from Fairfield said there is no intention of taking over the land and selling it (he was up for reelection at this time), but 1 year before that he said it is written in the state constitution that the state has to get the most bang for it's buck on state properties. That means they will have to sell it. We had a fire about 2 hours north of me this summer that burned for more then 2 months. The last estimate they said is that it cost over $94 million to fight it and I heard closer to $110. This is just the cost of fighting it and does count the cost to rehabilitate it for the next 5 to 10 years. There is no way that state can pay for that without selling a little chunk here and there. Thankfully enough it sounds like Trumps pick for Dept of Interior head from Montana is not to keen on the state take over but we will see. Believe me, I don't think the US BLM and Forest Service are doing there best to manage that lands, but I really think the state will do worse. So if you plan on retiring you better get here soon or maybe you could buy your own piece when they have to sell it off.

Yeah the most exhausting part seems to be none of the politicians give explicit answers for anything. Trump definitely worries me with his strong connection to corporate and mineral folks in his cabinet. But, there is a Field and Stream article where he seems to oppose a move to transfer land back to the states. The wildfire you mentioned is a perfect example. I don't think many states have 100s of millions sitting around to fight fires every year. I wish this was getting more national attention outside of the western states. I feel the vast majority of Americans would adamantly oppose transferring of lands. I lived in Alabama for 5 years and the lack of public land is appalling. Would hate for all of the places that I grew up roaming around getting closed off, polluted and abused.

where you live sounds exactly why Idaho is topping my list of places! Being back in AK I'm so spoiled. Couldn't live here forever though. So trying to replicate my experiences here best I can in proximity to a decent city.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Boise is too big for me. The only thing that is nice about it is Cabelas. HaHa. I live north of Twin Falls which is getting to about 50,000. The town I live in is about 400 with last years graduating class of 13. We are still in the mentality that you don't lock your doors or if your in the middle of the street talking to someone, if someone pulls up behind you, you expect them to go around. It's nice and peaceful and like I said the public land is a big draw. I can jump on my atv, utv, snowmobile, or horse at my house and hit the blm in 2 minutes. I just worry about were we are headed. I'm really afraid of what will be left when my kids get old enough. Thankfully all around me is BLM and I don't see too many people being interested in purchasing it. Time will tell.

S

slowpoke

Dec 18, 2016
Flagstaff, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was in Montana this fall and read articles not editorials on Zinke. He was cited as being a member of groups that wanted states to take control of federal lands, but then, depending on the audience, advocated the federal government retain control. Hard to know the real story cause he's a politician and the local newspapers are politically motivated. What worries me there are a lot of big money political contributors who'd like to have that public land deeded to them.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I've heard some similar things about zinke being overwhelmingly pro drilling. Which hey I get it, I'm not anti mineral harvesting at all. My truck burns gasoline, and so does the Honda. But at the same time, oil and gas production is at an all time high in the US. These privatized drilling operations aren't held to ecological and watershed standards. I just hope that support for turning over lands comes from a thoughtful long term strategy rather than shortsighted creation of wealth for a few and fairly minimal creation of jobs for communities.

There is so much skewed information from both sides, it's difficult to get to the real meat of what's happening and what intentions are.

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the real meat of the deal is that someone thinks they can benefit by the privatization of federal lands. I couldn't find the exact numbers here in Idaho but a rancher pays $1.69 per cow/calf pair on the federal land here. The last numbers I heard are about $8 here in Idaho. Now why would a rancher want to pay more to feed there cow on state land vs federal if they didn't think they could buy it for pennies on the dollar and feed it on there own land.

Thanks for the info on Zinke. I just read a little glip on facebook by a prohunting sportsman group that they thought he was a good choice. I guess everything on the internet is not true.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I promise (pinky promise) that this will be my last post but I found a youtube series that might be interesting. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Jedi consider St. Maries for retirement. Great town with enough of what you need. So far from everything I've seen that's where I'll be on my current path. I don't think you'll find more wildlife near a town then there.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I promise (pinky promise) that this will be my last post but I found a youtube series that might be interesting. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Deep in the video series. Glad to see some real data, and numbers. Randy Newberg seems to come from a very pragmatic and factual viewpoint in delivering the information. I'll be writing my senators here in AK. It appears Sen Murkowski is an enemy to access and public land, and has proven so for many years trying to get rid of the Antiquities Act and various other land protection laws. And with AK officially in a recession you can bet that our legislature will be selling off land faster than anywhere. Thank you for sharing!

advertisement
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Jedi consider St. Maries for retirement. Great town with enough of what you need. So far from everything I've seen that's where I'll be on my current path. I don't think you'll find more wildlife near a town then there.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna add that part of the state to the list of where to explore!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I should have said "crossing my fingers promise" instead of pinky promise. Don't just take Randy's word about the land "transfer" debate. The senator from Utah, Ken Ivory, gave a good example of why we need to give it back to the states. I think it was because the Chinese will want it, so the states will keep it safe. After that I turned him off.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Wow, I feel a little sick to my stomach that a Senator would actually say that. But given the current state of US politics, I'm not surprised. I'll be getting involved in fighting these land transfers. If it goes through, this will likely be the biggest theft from the American people in my lifetime.

Reactions: JTW
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that's what I was just doing a little researching on. He was on the Glenn Beck show talking about this and Beck was a big supporter of the State "Transfer". I remember though, that Beck has a ranch up some canyon a few miles from my inlaws here in Idaho. I will only assume that it has Public Federal Land around it and would be very convenient for him to pick him up some more land for a rock bottom price. I guess he in unlike "us" deplorable's that couldn't afford our own public land.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to cause trouble, but this thread has brought up a question in my mind and thats:

Where does everyone do there riding at? Is most of the riding done on public or private lands and leases. I don't know what Bull Run and Windrock are?? Are they private riding destinations or open to the public? Thanks

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
People with large sums of money will benefit and the rest of us will be barred entry... My riding is done on mostly public stuff here on Kodiak. There are portions of land that were returned to native corps since the last time I was stationed here, that I now begrudgingly pay the annual fee to access without harassment.

Reactions: tjoreo
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Hah you're welcome! Land is pretty reasonably priced there compared to the rest of the PNW, with really the same quality of recreation and access to major cities and airports.

J

JTW

Hah you're welcome! Land is pretty reasonably priced there compared to the rest of the PNW, with really the same quality of recreation and access to major cities and airports.
Yes.. it's similarly priced to here. But I need a getaway.. a far away get away! My concern at this stage in life.. 31, is the amount of time I'll get to spend there between family and running a business. But ya never know... I haven't been to Idaho yet.

R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This guy is a con. I know of a few public lands own and run by states and the public can access it with no trouble. The public lands will alway remain. It will just be managed by the states rather than the federal government. Which by the way do a lousy job.

Bears Ears... poeple can access it, ATV, hunt,camp get dead wood and run livestock on it. Now that obama made it a national monument,it will be roped off with a few walkinging paths and orental tourists in front and behind you by the thousands.

Keep allowing the corrupt government to do this and all fedural lands will be limited access. I'll take my chances with the states managing it any day. Besides you can make regulations , like the state can't sell it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!