P1000 Pulls left under acceleration....right when decelerating?

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
So I hadn't ridden my Pioneer in a couple weeks. Took gf and daughter for a quick little 15 mile trip yesterday evening. I noticed the machine felt like is was sort of wondering in the gravel. When we hit the blacktop, I noticed that when I hit the fuel, the buggy pulled left. It almost felt like the left front was rising a little. Then when I'd let of the fuel, it'd pull back right.

I check my tire pressure and did have the left rear reading 8 lbs, when all three other tires were at 12.5. I figured that was the culprit. I filled it to match the other and still got the same problem.

It is most noticeable in turf mode. Less noticeable in 2wd. Hardly noticeable at all in i4WD. I jacked the front and rear end up. All four wheels spin freely both ways and show no sign of play in anyway. Steering rack is in tact. No slop or movement in the tie rod ends. No hot brakes or calipers.

I did notice that the passenger side rear axle/cv joint was pretty warm. Driver side was warm as well, just not as warm as the passenger side. I don't think this is uncommon on these machines?

Buggy is a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3.

Can't see any other obvious things wrong. Hoping someone else had experienced this and can give me something to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I hadn't ridden my Pioneer in a couple weeks. Took gf and daughter for a quick little 15 mile trip yesterday evening. I noticed the machine felt like is was sort of wondering in the gravel. When we hit the blacktop, I noticed that when I hit the fuel, the buggy pulled left. It almost felt like the left front was rising a little. Then when I'd let of the fuel, it'd pull back right.

I check my tire pressure and did have the left rear reading 8 lbs, when all three other tires were at 12.5. I figured that was the culprit. I filled it to match the other and still got the same problem.

It is most noticeable in turf mode. Less noticeable in 2wd. Hardly noticeable at all in i4WD. I jacked the front and rear end up. All four wheels spin freely both ways and show no sign of play in anyway. Steering rack is in tact. No slop or movement in the tie rod ends. No hot brakes or calipers.

I did notice that the passenger side rear axle/cv joint was pretty warm. Driver side was warm as well, just not as warm as the passenger side. I don't think this is uncommon on these machines?

Buggy is a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3.

Can't see any other obvious things wrong. Hoping someone else had experienced this and can give me something to look for.

Thanks in advance.
With the engine off and the driver's side rear wheel off the ground, put your trans in Drive. The wheel should be hard to spin by hand if you can spin it at all. If your driver's side spins freely, you have an axle or rear diff issue.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Checked the toe. It was OUT about 7/16". Adjusted to 3/16" toe IN.
Raised rear driver tire off the ground. I can spin it while in Turf Mode, but no in 2WD. This seems normal, correct?

Equal pressure in tires.

I checked all of my springs to make sure one wasn't broken. I can't find any bushings or anything like that on the a-arms that have play. No play in wheel bearings or anywhere for that matter.

The machine still pulls left under hard acceleration and right under deceleration. This is most noticeable at higher speeds. 35 mph+. Also more noticeable in turf mode than 2wd.

I've never adjusted the preload on my Fox QS3's. The rears aren't adjusted at all. I mean, I can see not threads above the two nuts on the shock body. I've been meaning to adjust them, but have never ordered the spanner.

Could my springs have broken in enough to be to soft without the proper preload causing the buggy to pull under hard acceleration or deceleration? Like, maybe the right rear is pulling and the rear springs are soft enough to cause the right rear to squat enough for the left front to raise a little causing a pull to the driver side?

I appreciate the suggestions. Please feel free to shoot more my way.

Also, if you are in your P1K anytime soon, and are on blacktop, run it up to speed and see if you notice any pull when you let off the throttle. Maybe this is the nature of the beast and I just haven't noticed it in the first 2,300 miles, lol.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to more.

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're on the right track, it's due to being in turf mode and only having one wheel doing the pulling and braking. Lock the rear and see if it still does it.
I second the motion. If all else is tight and good then you are most likely feeling the push and pull from only "1" rear tire making power while in turf mode. If it drives straight in "2wd" then that will confirm the above hypothesis.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second the motion. If all else is tight and good then you are most likely feeling the push and pull from only "1" rear tire making power while in turf mode. If it drives straight in "2wd" then that will confirm the above hypothesis.
I run my P1k5 in turf mode most of the time on pavement and haven’t noticed any type of pulling while accelerating or letting off the throttle. As far as only one wheel pulling when you’re in turf mode on pavement, unless you have enough power to break your tires loose, both tires will be pulling the same. The rear diff works just like your car.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll throw in one more alignment tip - even though you got your toe corrected, it's still possible that you could have the two front tires pointed off to the left or right. Getting them all square, then toed in is important.

When you adjusted the toe, did you bring both tires in a little, or just one?

Reactions: Lady01
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Both tires same amount of 'turns'.

I picked up a spanner wrench this weekend. I'll adjust the preload when I get a chance and be sure to report back on the outcome.

Thanks for all the replies. I love this forum!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, so even since you *did* bring each side in a little, are you sure that your front tires weren't both pointed off to one side in the first place? They could have been, and *still* be toe-out!

I recently went thru all of this with my front end, so it's pertinent to make sure you're thinking of the possibilities.

I'm going to make you a sketch to show what I'm saying here, hold on...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I'm talking about. The two outside lines are parallel lines for reference. I have exaggerated the tire angles a lot to make them visible:

Both tires are pointed off to the left, but we still have a toe-out situation because the left tire is pointed more left than the right tire.

You could adjust both tie rod ends to bring it to toe-in, but you'd still have two tires pointed off in the same direction.

That's what I struggled with for a while.

Toe

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Don’t appear to be, lol. I know that means nothing. I need to pull two parallel lines on the ship floor and check. Seems like a new problem as I haven’t noticed the first 2,xxx miles.

I did notice this. I went for a ride a couple weeks ago across a freshly graveled road. My tires were covered in fresh dust. I rode an additional mile on blacktop to the house. You could easily see where the tread patch was making contact with the blacktop as that portion of the tire was clean or free of dust.

My passenger side tires are contacting the pavement farther inside on the trad than the driver side. I measured the threads showing above the locknut on the shock body. Rears are adjusted all the way out. Front passenger has slightly less preload than the driver side.

Still hoping that I can adjust them to equal in front and add some preload in the rear and help with the pull??? I’ll check the center of both tires as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Turf mode would be my guess too. The 700 is lighter and has a shorter wheel base and would be more effected by it. Turf Mode was tried and made to work for the 500 but was too dangerous due to the lurching. FWIW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!