P1000 Clunk sound when decelerating

M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve started to notice a clunk noise when I quickly take my foot off the accelerator of my 2018 p1000-5, mostly while driving over 20 mph. I just had my machine in the shop to replace a bad pinion seal in the rear differential. It almost sounds like, but not quite the same noise it makes while shifting.

The issue is I don’t remember if that clunk was there before it went in the shop or if I’m just paranoid now and worried something is not put together right.

Are others getting this noise on their P1000 or is there something loose on mine.
Thanks

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve started to notice a clunk noise when I quickly take my foot off the accelerator of my 2018 p1000-5, mostly while driving over 20 mph. I just had my machine in the shop to replace a bad pinion seal in the rear differential. It almost sounds like, but not quite the same noise it makes while shifting.

The issue is I don’t remember if that clunk was there before it went in the shop or if I’m just paranoid now and worried something is not put together right.

Are others getting this noise on their P1000 or is there something loose on mine.
Thanks
I've never noticed any clunk in mine. Might sound silly, but check under your seat area and skidplate etc for a tool or part that may have accidentally been left from the repair. (Mechanic: "Where the HELL is my 13 mm deep socket???")

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never noticed any clunk in mine. Might sound silly, but check under your seat area and skidplate etc for a tool or part that may have accidentally been left from the repair. (Mechanic: "Where the HELL is my 13 mm deep socket???")
Not silly at all. I have worked as a mechanic all my life, have seen many tools "disappear" due to being left on a frame etc. and the tech heard something clank while on a test drive. Some have been fortunate enough to find them on the road on the way back, most not so lucky. 👍

M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked everything and couldn’t find anything loose. I went for a drive on the weekend and noticed it only makes the noise while in turf mode or 2wd. When in 4wd it wouldn’t do it at all.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I checked everything and couldn’t find anything loose. I went for a drive on the weekend and noticed it only makes the noise while in turf mode or 2wd. When in 4wd it wouldn’t do it at all.
Could be shaft play (movement) in front shaft (no homo NTC) hence only during Turf and 2WD

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably a bit of a shot in the dark, but any drivetrain noise is worth an adjustment to your rear diff shift alignment. Most of them could use it anyway for faster and smoother engage/disengagement.

Follow this procedure, not the one in your service manual. Diff should lock and unlock within a half turn of the wheel.

M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my machine in the garage for maintenance today and noticed the clunk again when turning the rear wheels. Turns out the entire rear diff was moving a few mm. The bolts were tight, but obviously not tight enough, now the noise is gone. 😁

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!