P1000 Question about PARK

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone notice while in turf mode and shifting back to Park, the 2WD LOCK indicator comes back on, then back off again shifting out of Park?
Mine does it sometimes.
Not sure if there is a switch that connects Park to 2WD LOCK or if mine just wants to be different than the other P1's.
Also, even when my indicator shows it's in turf mode, my axle stays locked until I can shake it free. I assume I just need to adjust the linkage, correct?

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone notice while in turf mode and shifting back to Park, the 2WD LOCK indicator comes back on, then back off again shifting out of Park?
Mine does it sometimes.
Not sure if there is a switch that connects Park to 2WD LOCK or if mine just wants to be different than the other P1's.
Also, even when my indicator shows it's in turf mode, my axle stays locked until I can shake it free. I assume I just need to adjust the linkage, correct?
Yea I was wondering about that. Usually drive around town in turf mode and indicator shows that both rear wheels are locked. I quess maybe it doesn't have to ability to distinquish between turf mode and rear wheel lock? If any mechanics out there please advise.

Reactions: 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I was wondering about that. Usually drive around town in turf mode and indicator shows that both rear wheels are locked. I quess maybe it doesn't have to ability to distinquish between turf mode and rear wheel lock? If any mechanics out there please advise.
Ya, I don't trust my indicator. I turn on asphalt to verify inside tire isn't chirping to know whether or not I'm engaged.
I still can't figure out why shifting into park causes the dash indicator to change without touching the mode selector.
Curious if Honda wants the rear locked in Park so that (2) tires are holding the unit from sliding instead of just (1).

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is an adjustment under the bed on the drivers side.

02f0539501c12efab93b47cd4f6d50e5

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I copied this pic from an earlier post. Let me see if it can link it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've seen that posted before, but can't find any causation regarding Park being related to mode selector?

If you have the cable adjustment box open, you can see that moving the drive selector will move those cables. Mine did the same thing and I adjusted the cables to fix it.

Of coarse moving the mode selector will also move those cables. I'm not sure why they are together, but they are.

Reactions: DGann
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another thing that I need to check to be sure, but I think the only sensor for the rear diff is actually in the rear diff. I don't believe there is another switch or sensor anywhere else.

advertisement
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

I think the purpose of the cable adjustment box behind the drivers seat is to make the rear diff lock engage when in park.
@Hondasxs posted a patent a while ago that says this (just because a patent exists doesn't mean those parts are on the vehicle but it dose look like it in this case).
This box has cables from both levers on the dash coming in to it.
When it is adjusted correctly either cable can engage the diff lock.
The springs in the box allow for both cables to try and engage the lock at the same time with out problems.
Link to that post:

Arrangement of a vehicle assembly member - Patent 9346352

FYI, the rear lock mechanism is a spring loaded lost motion device - when you pull the cable a spring is trying to engage the lock.
The lock may not engage right away, the parts need to align correctly then it will snap in.

Apparently when you have a brake on the prop shaft the wheels might counter rotate threw the differential.
This arrangement should prevent that from happening.
The P500 and P700 have a single brake disk / parking brake on the prop shaft but no differential.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the purpose of the cable adjustment box behind the drivers seat is to make the rear diff lock engage when in park.
@Hondasxs posted a patent a while ago that says this (just because a patent exists doesn't mean those parts are on the vehicle but it dose look like it in this case).
This box has cables from both levers on the dash coming in to it.
When it is adjusted correctly either cable can engage the diff lock.
The springs in the box allow for both cables to try and engage the lock at the same time with out problems.
Link to that post:

Arrangement of a vehicle assembly member - Patent 9346352

FYI, the rear lock mechanism is a spring loaded lost motion device - when you pull the cable a spring is trying to engage the lock.
The lock may not engage right away, the parts need to align correctly then it will snap in.

Apparently when you have a brake on the prop shaft the wheels might counter rotate threw the differential.
This arrangement should prevent that from happening.
The P500 and P700 have a single brake disk / parking brake on the prop shaft but no differential.
Ya. just went out and played around with the P1, and it engages no problem. Issue I have figured out is it is not releasing unless I turn hard in reverse both Left and Right at a slow speed. When it finally does release, it pops pretty loud - which is obviously the collar sliding back. I am going to adjust in accordance with the manual and see if this quiets down the pop when the collar releases back to turf mode. I realize you are supposed to shift mode selector at 0mph, which I do, but it requires mechanical force to release the collar or sleeve by reversing and turning on mine at the moment.