P1000 Question about transmission mode (turf, 2wd, 4wd)

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question.
What transmission mode should be used on concrete? I am assuming 2wd or Turf mode. But not really sure which? Leaning toward turf mode.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll wanna run turf on concrete it'll turn easier and won't eat up the tires as bad

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question.
What transmission mode should be used on concrete? I am assuming 2wd or Turf mode. But not really sure which? Leaning toward turf mode.

AH, that would be Turf, only one wheel drive. If you were in 2 or 4 wheel drive turning will put a ton of stress on your differentials.

Reactions: sharp
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree with the above posts. Turf mode is supposed to let one side free wheel so it doesn't damage the turf or the tires.

What I have noticed on my rig is that it works great as long as I'm turning right. But if I'm turning left, the left rear tire tears up the yard and tears up the tire on a hard surface. Is this normal?

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with the above posts. Turf mode is supposed to let one side free wheel so it doesn't damage the turf or the tires.

What I have noticed on my rig is that it works great as long as I'm turning right. But if I'm turning left, the left rear tire tears up the yard and tears up the tire on a hard surface. Is this normal?

That means the left rear is locked and the right rear is freewheeling

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

You need to make sure that you are actually shifting into Turf mode and not still stuck in 2WD with the indicator not lighting up. It shouldn't do that. That is specifically how I used to test to make sure I was actually in Turf mode.

It isn't technically 1 wheel drive. It is an open differential. Which means that power goes 50/50 to each wheel, it just allows each wheel to spin at different speeds. People think it is "1 wheel drive" because if one tire starts to spin you don't go forward but that is because from the point of view of the diff it is the equivalent of pivoting the vehicle around in a circle on one tire. All the rotation goes to the spinning tire while the tire with traction stops spinning.

If your inside of the turn tire is tearing up the ground, it is spinning faster than it should which usually indicates it is locked into the outside tire (which has to spin faster).

Of course, you could also be turning really fast and the tearing is because you are sliding. ;)

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That means the left rear is locked and the right rear is freewheeling
Well... not really. The only way that one wheel is freewheeling is if the other wheel is also freewheeling. As Crow_Hunter said... it's an open differential. One wheel drive would be like an old skool go-cart where the power is literally transferred to only one wheel. If one wheel were "locked", the vehicle would simply move forward with no turf damage, unless of course you floor it!

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I found this video very informative about how an open diff works. The Pioneer has a few extra parts but if when in turf mode this is the basic workings!

I love the narrators epic baritone voice. @ 3:14 "It is called...the differential". Like he's introducing baby Jesus to the world.

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found this video very informative about how an open diff works. The Pioneer has a few extra parts but if when in turf mode this is the basic workings!

Thank you so much for sharing this. Now i understand how a differential works!

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
agree with others - I run turf all the time until I start to loose traction or I'm on steep downhill sections. I'm pretty amazed at what it will go thru in turf mode but then again i'm not into the mud boggin deal.

Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!