BOX1

Question for Camping in Colorado in Wyoming and Southern Montana along I-25, then I-90.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are some good camping areas along the I-25 corridor? I’m staying a night in Palo Duro Canyon State Park just below Amarillo Texas and if the weather permits, I’ll head north over the Raton Pass and onto I-25. My length is 40’ if that has any bearing on campsites. After Colorado I plan on continuing to head north into Wyoming and pick up I-90 in Southern Montana. Any thoughts on camping in southern Montana, heading west, would be welcome as well. Thank you!

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
What are you looking to do/see when in SW Montana? There’s an RV campground near me in Alder, MT.

Lots of history (gold rush, Vigilantes hanging robbers) great fishing (Ruby, Jefferson, Big Hole). Hiking and mountains that will knock your socks off.

About 2 hours to West Yellowstone. Dillon and I15 about 50 minutes away, I90 about an hour north. Bozeman 85 miles.

About an hour towards Bozeman there’s RV camping near Beartrap Canyon at Red Rock Mountain on Norris Road right on the Madison River.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you looking to do/see when in SW Montana? There’s an RV campground near me in Alder, MT.

Lots of history (gold rush, Vigilantes hanging robbers) great fishing (Ruby, Jefferson, Big Hole). Hiking and mountains that will knock your socks off.

About 2 hours to West Yellowstone. Dillon and I15 about 50 minutes away, I90 about an hour north. Bozeman 85 miles.

About an hour towards Bozeman there’s RV camping near Beartrap Canyon at Red Rock Mountain on Norris Road right on the Madison River.

You live in a beautiful area.

UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Red Lodge Mt has several campgrounds at the start of the Bear Tooth HWY, very scenic drive.
When we stayed there last year we had moma moose and her calf run through our campsite

You might like the site “The Little Big Horn” where Custer met his match, just of I90 on western edge of South Dakota

9E6EABC6 77DD 4380 BB07 EB38AFDAE2E2

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I live in Butte, Mt. Lots of areas to camp and explore not far off of I90. There is a large state campground where the highway from Bozeman to Norris crosses the Madison River. It is called the Beartrap. Your 40 foot rig would go into there. Also down at Quake Lake there is a large state campground with beautiful views. Lots of camping south of Ennis. Trouble is your 40 foot size and most of the areas could still have snow and mud until the first of June. Fairmont Hotsprings just west of Butte is a close stop off of I90 with pools, golf course, and restaurant. Also right next to mountains for good trail riding.

Reactions: ChadD
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I think it’s called Red Mountain campground. Beartrap Canyon is incredible.

My wife and I have an appointment in Deer Lodge today. I’ll wave as I pass Butte.

X2 on snow up high. The gates are opened on the Gravelly Range Rd area July 1. FWIW- that’s griz country.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Try this:

I've been an RVer adn RV traveler for longer than many of you have been alive. Over the years, IMO, RV parks have become more and more expensive and many have created so many rule, regulations, and restrictions I found them more trouble than convenience. Flor years my wife and I have traveled with an RV and spent nights in Walmart, Sam's Club, Cabellas, and similar big box store parking lots, interstate highway rest stops, county and city parks, and truck stops. No fees, few rules, and usually no hassles.

Palo Dura and Caprock Canyon State Parks are beautiful.

Reactions: Rick49274
J

JCutah

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are some good camping areas along the I-25 corridor? I’m staying a night in Palo Duro Canyon State Park just below Amarillo Texas and if the weather permits, I’ll head north over the Raton Pass and onto I-25. My length is 40’ if that has any bearing on campsites. After Colorado I plan on continuing to head north into Wyoming and pick up I-90 in Southern Montana. Any thoughts on camping in southern Montana, heading west, would be welcome as well.

Where are some good camping areas along the I-25 corridor? I’m staying a night in Palo Duro Canyon State Park just below Amarillo Texas and if the weather permits, I’ll head north over the Raton Pass and onto I-25. My length is 40’ if that has any bearing on campsites. After Colorado I plan on continuing to head north into Wyoming and pick up I-90 in Southern Montana. Any thoughts on camping in southern Montana, heading west, would be welcome as well. Thank you!
In New Mexico at Raton I have stayed at the NRA Whittington Center. Its a neat place with lots of wildlife. Big pull throughs. Despite being a massive shooting range its so huge you won't be near the noise. And you walk the roads for miles to stretch your legs. They have a firearm museum on site .

Wyoming has Sheridan. Never camped but that town is close to perfect. I'm sure they have a cool campground. Someone mentioned the Bighorns. My rig would struggle pulling those grades. But its a pretty mountain.

Montana I have stayed at the KOA in Three Forks. Safe and it is a great area. After Butte not sure if you are headed north or south. South has Dillon MT. There is a campground on town. It was good enough. North is Flat Head lake. I have forgotten all the camping locations I have been to. Never had a bad experience and its a Big Sky dream.

Hope it helps. I'm jealous of your adventures . Have fun and be safe.

Reactions: Rick49274
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I second the NRAWC just south of Raton, NM. You can drive your Honda on the roads which are all dirt. They have full hook ups and the East Campground has bathroom facilities and washer/dryer facilities. Those sites are 30 amp. The West Campground is is all 50amp with a little better shade. The entire facility is covered in wild game. You do not have to be a NRA member.

There are two RV parks in Raton. Also there is a small campground/RV park at the top of the pass and another at the bottom on the Colorado side. The Walmart in Trinidad allows overnight stays. At the Aguilar exit, I'm guessing mile marker 36 or so, there is another RV park. There is a Bass Pro on the north side of Colorado Spring but I have never been there. There is a Cabellas at the Lone Tree exit just before getting into the Denver Metro area. I have never seen any rigs overnight there but they do have a dump.

Concur on the Three Forks KOA. If you want more specifics on Colorado and NM, just ask as I might can find more info.

s/f Steve

Reactions: JCutah
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!