R2C filter for Talon intake air snorkel projects

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I missed a few comment notices yesterday!

I've been thinking about your setup chris. If parts have to be made for this then the ideal design would be a one piece plastic or aluminum tube to minimize parts and reduce weight.
Making the tube 1 piece wouldn't be a big deal. You would just have to find a source for 90° aluminum elbows that have a long leg on one side. Mine is 2 piece with a silicone coupler because I started off with a PwrTune intake kit that came with the 90° elbow. I wanted the filter above the body work so I used the extension pipe to accomplish that.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I found a company last year to source bends from so I’m sure once I have the dimensions needed they could bend the unequal lengths for me. Steel pipe pipe be kinda heavy though unless very thin wall. I’ll do some more research.

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
You should be able to source 3" aluminum tube bent as I described. To maximize profit I'd be looking for ready made tubes that have the dimensions required that may just need trimming on one or both ends to be exact. Much cheaper for you to cut down pre-existing pipes as opposed to getting them made. Use the K.I.S.S. methods when designing stuff....

Don't use steel pipe!!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Back at work today. I have a coworker with a 3D printer so we have been brainstorming this intake modification today.

Here's what we are thinking so far:

I like the S&B part that uses the air intake grate for pipe routing rather than cutting plastic. Even I don't want to cut my plastic for this mod! If the grate can be replaced with something similar to S&B then that's great. So we are going to look at 3D printing something like this possibly with a connection for the filter to clamp directly onto. There are a lot of options and problems we will have to figure out for this whole setup. I may have to fabricate a grate that will work first then make a fusion cad model to 3d print from.

Screenshot 2021 07 05 at 13 26 08 Honda Talon Particle separator

I'd rather use a flexhose for the connection between the air box and grate piece. This removes all accuracy required for installation. Plus the hose can have a little slack and still fit inside the inner fender cover. It's also light weight.

These are preliminary thoughts on options we are considering.

Key design goals:
1. No plastic cutting required
2. Easy clamp in fittings and flexible hoses
3. Light weight
4. Non-corrosive material

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Back at work today. I have a coworker with a 3D printer so we have been brainstorming this intake modification today.

I like the S&B part that uses the air intake grate for pipe routing rather than cutting plastic. Even I don't want to cut my plastic for this mod! If the grate can be replaced with something similar to S&B then that's great. So we are going to look at 3D printing something like this possibly with a connection for the filter to clamp directly onto. There are a lot of options and problems we will have to figure out for this whole setup. I may have to fabricate a grate that will work first then make a fusion cad model to 3d print from.

View attachment 282139

I'd rather use a flexhose for the connection between the air box and grate piece. This removes all accuracy required for installation. Plus the hose can have a little slack and still fit inside the inner fender cover. It's also light weight.

Key design goals:
3. Light weight
I'll be your first order if I haven't bought anything by then.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
While
I’ve got the mic here I’ve also been kinda working with another company as a guinea pig for a totally different type of prefilter setup. I ran their design a couple weeks ago riding in dusty conditions and it worked.

Desertcraft of California has been making a foam buddy prefilter for Rzr xp 900 for years. It’s a very simple concept that has been successful so they cooked up a prototype and sent to me for testing. Here’s a look.

BA7EAC3E 3808 4C02 BFEB EE628C19A665

A6DCA80A A157 4F60 A531 6A3D112B285B

Basically it’s an oiled single stage foam filter that prefilters the intake air inside the air box. The grate keeps the oiled filter from contacting the oem filter which it is designed to protect and extend the life of. This will be marketed as a less expensive and simple prefilter option to extend oem filter life. It also will not require any snorkel equipment for those like me who do not like holes in their factory plastic.

According to desertcraft they may be available in about 4 weeks cost about $50. This is their first offering for the Talon. Their market is rzr and X3. They make an excellent high quality dry element filter for those machines. Nice people too. Husband and wife small business. I’ve been a dealer for them since I started my business. Once available I’ll get them listed in my online store and notify the forum.

This is another option that’s becoming available soon for the Talon engine air intake.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

View attachment 282139

Key design goals:
3. Light weight

Super atv is selling a snorkel with a through plastic fitting.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Damn i must of missed meeting him! Maybe next year:rolleyes:
I missed meeting many people this year. We had a tent setup next to Hillbilly Brake in the evenings. The best part was meeting customers!! That was awesome!
I'd like to go back there and just ride for a solid week. We try to hit new locations as often as we can. This was our first trip to Royal Blue. Brutal drive from SW Louisiana!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got my new RC2 intake filter and cover in the mail yesterday, It's very well made! I don't think it was mentioned or pictured at the beginning of this thread, but the top of the filter also has a cone shaped filter in it giving it more surface area. :cool:
20210707 165517

20210707 165522

20210707 165703

20210707 165634

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 282139

Key design goals:
3. Light weight

Just a bit of advice on this.....

Nothing screams cheaply made and poor performing like dryer hose intake piping. I don't care who uses it on what, it's garbage. Using that stuff is going to turn some people away from buying your product and probably a bunch more people than trimming a half moon in the rear quarter and bed to make the single aluminum pipe fit.

Think about it.......

3d printed parts, dryer hose, adapters, mounting hardware, filter, ect

VS

Single aluminum pipe, templet for hole in body and 1 filter.

Which one do you think would be easier and more profitable for a guy doing this as a hobby to manufacture?

KISS

Reactions: Adam490 and 906UP
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
While
I’ve got the mic here I’ve also been kinda working with another company as a guinea pig for a totally different type of prefilter setup. I ran their design a couple weeks ago riding in dusty conditions and it worked.

Desertcraft of California has been making a foam buddy prefilter for Rzr xp 900 for years. It’s a very simple concept that has been successful so they cooked up a prototype and sent to me for testing. Here’s a look.

View attachment 282168
View attachment 282169
Basically it’s an oiled single stage foam filter that prefilters the intake air inside the air box. The grate keeps the oiled filter from contacting the oem filter which it is designed to protect and extend the life of. This will be marketed as a less expensive and simple prefilter option to extend oem filter life. It also will not require any snorkel equipment for those like me who do not like holes in their factory plastic.

According to desertcraft they may be available in about 4 weeks cost about $50. This is their first offering for the Talon. Their market is rzr and X3. They make an excellent high quality dry element filter for those machines. Nice people too. Husband and wife small business. I’ve been a dealer for them since I started my business. Once available I’ll get them listed in my online store and notify the forum.

This is another option that’s becoming available soon for the Talon engine air intake.

If you have to remove the air filter just to see if it's dirty or to clean it I'd say that product isn't something most people would want. The point of adding a pre-filter to the Talon air box is so that you don't have to change/check the stock filter all the time. This defeats the purpose entirely...

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
J
Just a bit of advice on this.....

Nothing screams cheaply made and poor performing like dryer hose intake piping. I don't care who uses it on what, it's garbage. Using that stuff is going to turn some people away from buying your product and probably a bunch more people than trimming a half moon in the rear quarter and bed to make the single aluminum pipe fit.

Think about it.......

3d printed parts, dryer hose, adapters, mounting hardware, filter, ect

VS

Single aluminum pipe, templet for hole in body and 1 filter.

Which one do you think would be easier and more profitable for a guy doing this as a hobby to manufacture?

KISS
I agree with where you are coming from. Fewer parts and connects is always more reliable. I’m just thinking out loud of all the possibilities.
I do like the super ATV snorkel but it hugs the roll cage too close to fit a filter on the end.

A

ADVman

Apr 6, 2019
Tacoma
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Super atv is selling a snorkel with a through plastic fitting.
This is my first option since it has a single lower pipe and the passthrough grate cover. I think would marry well with the RC2 dry cover. The Super ATV has been on backorder for a very long time but also includes vent valves for the diff's and gas breathers. They are supposed to get the orders flowing on or about next week. If 10-80 had a comparable I'd give him the biz but I doubt this is something within his short term capacity and margins may not make it worth his time.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I just ordered one as well. Do you have the rest of the parts sourced yet?
Not yet. I’m just getting started on this. And I have my irons in many fires!! A coworker will be helping on this task.

edit: He kinda wants in on this adventure I’m having and he’s excellent with cad. He rides dirt bikes with us.

Ive got to get some talon underseat boxes welded up evenings this week to get powder coated next week.

Last edited:
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
J

I agree with where you are coming from. Fewer parts and connects is always more reliable. I’m just thinking out loud of all the possibilities.
I do like the super ATV snorkel but it hugs the roll cage too close to fit a filter on the end.
You don't think the upper pipe can be rotated to allow the rc2 dry filter?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
H
Got my new RC2 intake filter and cover in the mail yesterday, It's very well made! I don't think it was mentioned or pictured at the beginning of this thread, but the top of the filter also has a cone shaped filter in it giving it more surface area. :cool: View attachment 282467

View attachment 282468

View attachment 282469

View attachment 282470
Chris,
I’m going to add your good pics to my item listing to help other people. At least until I can take more pics when I get some of these in.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!