R2C filter put to the test tomorrow

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
We'd sure appreciate an occasional pic or two at your chosen maintenance checks (mileage when photo'd). Don't be afraid to get some real close ups so we can actually see the pleats, plz.

Remember there have been 'some' instances where one of the two large o-rings running around the perimeter has been out of its groove.
Oh yes I will keep up with long term performance,, I'm looking to see how many miles the filter will handle its responsibility my filter monitor will keep me clued as well just by looking at it.

I did note in some past threads where the oring did work its way out of the groove or someone was not paying attention to it when they put the cover on enabling the oring to not be seated in its place, that would be bad JU JU for any motor. Myself I run a film of hard grease ( water proof Belray) around that edge for perfect sealing. After I lock down the clips I run my hand around the outside of the commection to make sure there is no oring protruding outside of the air box and it is in place. When ever I remove the cover I half to tug at it because the grease seals it down firmly.

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And the result is supreme filtration to say the least. I rode in the the most dusty ride I ever had ridden in and some of the freshly graded surface was like a powder, only place worse would maybe the desert. My intake tubes were squeaky clean as compared to the dirt filled air box as seen in the pic. I covered the intake tubes with the green UNI filter foam (lightly oiled) to catch any thing that got past the filter. After I cleaned the filter foam I could not find any evidence that anything got past. I cleaned the foam in a small clear glass container so I could see any debris. As always I oiled the inside of the air box to collect dirt and aid in extending the run time of the filter,

View attachment 219024 View attachment 219026
What was cleaning the R2C like?

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
What was cleaning the R2C like?
I found it easy to get it squeaky clean. First I blew it out from the inside with low pressure air, there was a lot of dust in it and I took my time till I saw no more dust blowing out of the fiber. I then sprayed mild soap inside and out soaking it down good and let it sit for a few. I rinsed it well with water from the inside out at first until I saw no dark water then I rinsed all over and both sides. I fiddled with it for maybe 20 minutes or so and I gave it 24 hours dry time. I think putting it in a dish washer would work really well also.

Are you going to break down and get one for yer self.
BTW I had it when I was at Waynoka and it worked great there keeping the sand out. I noticed you are a Okie so I figured you take in the Dunes there,,,, the take over is in about a month ya know?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I found it easy to get it squeaky clean. First I blew it out from the inside with low pressure air, there was a lot of dust in it and I took my time till I saw no more dust blowing out of the fiber. I then sprayed mild soap inside and out soaking it down good and let it sit for a few. I rinsed it well with water from the inside out at first until I saw no dark water then I rinsed all over and both sides. I fiddled with it for maybe 20 minutes or so and I gave it 24 hours dry time. I think putting it in a dish washer would work really well also.

Are you going to break down and get one for yer self.
BTW I had it when I was at Waynoka and it worked great there keeping the sand out. I noticed you are a Okie so I figured you take in the Dunes there,,,, the take over is in about a month ya know?
That’s great. I actually do have one, I just haven’t installed it yet. I don’t remember if it came with cleaning instructions, but that would be cool if it is dishwasher safe. I’m looking forward to using it. I’m going to install the Uni in the box, and cover the two intakes as well.
You know, I’ve never rode the Oklahoma sand dunes but would sure like to give it a go. Wasn’t aware that they have a takeover there. Do you go to that?

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
The takeover is Sept 19 about that date and lasts for several days I have not been to it but my son n law is going and I would go but I will be up in Colorado riding at that time. Son n law just bought a trailer (24 ft) for his family. Next year we all will go up to Colorado in August when the kids are not in school and then do the take over as well. I can not believe you live in OK and not been to the sand,,LOL

With the r2c filter it sets down low in the air box unlike the OEM filter that lays flat leaving a open area for the uni. The r2c leaves little gap for the uni to mount I doubt it will fit in there with the r2c.

Here is a install tip: You set the filter in the box and then the hold down plate goes on top of the filter and you struggle to align the screw holes up thru the plate and the rubber sealing flange to get a screw started. I always oil the sealing surface where the filter mates up with the box for a good dust proof seal and that makes the thing slippery and even more of a hassle to get a screw started and or not cross threaded. Go and get 6 5mm screws the same thread pitch about a inch long minimum and cut the heads off. Screw the screws (now alignment studs) in the mounting holes just a little ways and now you can set the filter in place and put the hold down plate in place without fumbling around with it to align up the holes. What you now have are alignment studs that you made. Just remove one stud and install the hold down screw and do the others the same way one at a time no fuss no muss. You dont need a alignment screw in each hole just space them out evenly thus you only need 6.

Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
The takeover is Sept 19 about that date and lasts for several days I have not been to it but my son n law is going and I would go but I will be up in Colorado riding at that time. Son n law just bought a trailer (24 ft) for his family. Next year we all will go up to Colorado in August when the kids are not in school and then do the take over as well. I can not believe you live in OK and not been to the sand,,LOL

With the r2c filter it sets down low in the air box unlike the OEM filter that lays flat leaving a open area for the uni. The r2c leaves little gap for the uni to mount I doubt it will fit in there with the r2c.

Here is a install tip: You set the filter in the box and then the hold down plate goes on top of the filter and you struggle to align the screw holes up thru the plate and the rubber sealing flange to get a screw started. I always oil the sealing surface where the filter mates up with the box for a good dust proof seal and that makes the thing slippery and even more of a hassle to get a screw started and or not cross threaded. Go and get 6 5mm screws the same thread pitch about a inch long minimum and cut the heads off. Screw the screws (now alignment studs) in the mounting holes just a little ways and now you can set the filter in place and put the hold down plate in place without fumbling around with it to align up the holes. What you now have are alignment studs that you made. Just remove one stud and install the hold down screw and do the others the same way one at a time no fuss no muss. You dont need a alignment screw in each hole just space them out evenly thus you only need 6.

All the screws went right in on mine with zero fumbling.

You might have a bad one.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
For Talon owners who rather not or can not for what ever reason install a Hondabob type snorkel I think the r2c filter will be a viable option as opposed to the OEM filter. I'm going to keep the UNI foam cover over the tubes for safety sake for a while until I feel confident that the r2c is doing what is expected from it. I have a vacuum monitor installed that I tested and the slightest restriction will show on the gauge. I plan to start building up miles on the filter to see how long it goes and performs like it should. I find that taking the air box cover off for inspection a simple task. As I find no issues from inspection I will extend the inspection frequency each time,, I will rely on the green foam cover over the intake tubes to show what is getting past the filter if anything.

There was mention of the 8 screws that hold the filter in place wearing down the threads. I coat the threads with silver anti seize to lube them and I use light torque to protect the threads and not squish the soft rubber seal around the filter material. I suspect this filter will go some good distance before it needs maintence,,,, I will find out in time and miles.
What UNI foam filter are you using over the intake tubes?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I’ve been to 23 group rides and have two more next month. There’s never been one at the OK sand dunes, so I guess that’s why I’ve not been. I’ve been near them via auto, but never realized that there was a UTV park. I’ll give it a look.

SMF says he has no trouble with alignment on his R2C, so maybe I won’t either, but if I do, I’ll keep in mind your solution.

If the Uni won’t fit in the box with the R2C, that’s disappointing......I’ll see which performs the best, R2C alone or OEM filter with Uni, and use whichever seems to work best.

Where did you get the sheet of green Uni filtering material that you put over the two intake tubes inside the box, and what do you secure it with?

Thanks for the information.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve been to 23 group rides and have two more next month. There’s never been one at the OK sand dunes, so I guess that’s why I’ve not been. I’ve been near them via auto, but never realized that there was a UTV park. I’ll give it a look.

SMF says he has no trouble with alignment on his R2C, so maybe I won’t either, but if I do, I’ll keep in mind your solution.

If the Uni won’t fit in the box with the R2C, that’s disappointing......I’ll see which performs the best, R2C alone or OEM filter with Uni, and use whichever seems to work best.

Where did you get the sheet of green Uni filtering material that you put over the two intake tubes inside the box, and what do you secure it with?

Thanks for the information.
My Honda dealer ordered the green uni filter foam for me. It comes in one piece about 18 inches square and you cut it to fit. I just ran a wire tie around the outside of the intake tube and snugged it up but not killer tight. I had to put two ties together to make the length I needed. Any air restriction from the foam is a non issue

As far as the dunes are concerned do a google search for Little Sahara sand dunes Waynoka Oklahoma. Over a thousand acres of sand trails and tall dunes. Camping slots and showers etc etc.

Check it out all in your back yard in Oklahoma

15708987384301 15708987379411

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My Honda dealer ordered the green uni filter foam for me. It comes in one piece about 18 inches square and you cut it to fit. I just ran a wire tie around the outside of the intake tube and snugged it up but not killer tight. I had to put two ties together to make the length I needed. Any air restriction from the foam is a non issue

As far as the dunes are concerned do a google search for Little Sahara sand dunes Waynoka Oklahoma. Over a thousand acres of sand trails and tall dunes. Camping slots and showers etc etc.

Check it out all in your back yard in Oklahoma

View attachment 219919 View attachment 219922
Nice! I’m on the Arkansas border, so my back yard is WPG, Bear Creek, Mulberry, etc......
But with campgrounds and bath houses, I can see we would make a group ride there in the future.

I see you’ll be riding Colorado during Little Sahara’s Takeover. Are you going to be at Silverton with us?

advertisement
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Nice! I’m on the Arkansas border, so my back yard is WPG, Bear Creek, Mulberry, etc......
But with campgrounds and bath houses, I can see we would make a group ride there in the future.

I see you’ll be riding Colorado during Little Sahara’s Takeover. Are you going to be at Silverton with us?
I' m going to be at a campground called Castle Lake and their address shows Lake City as their town and mailing address. I have never been in that area before but There is a couple that I know and they will be there also so they will be my tour guide LOL. They went on their first ever poker ride with me and my Daughter and family last weekend. They have a Talon x and stock OEM filter so he had to spend 50 bucks for a new one and he started out with a new one for the poker run,,, 100 dollars total. LOL

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I' m going to be at a campground called Castle Lake and their address shows Lake City as their town and mailing address. I have never been in that area before but There is a couple that I know and they will be there also so they will be my tour guide LOL. They went on their first ever poker ride with me and my Daughter and family last weekend. They have a Talon x and stock OEM filter so he had to spend 50 bucks for a new one and he started out with a new one for the poker run,,, 100 dollars total. LOL
Lake City was part of the forum group ride last year. You’ll enjoy it there.

T

TalonJohn

Jun 2, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Installed the S&B Particulate Seperator and a R2C filter, Big difference in filtration. This is after 1900 miles

IMG 2799 IMG 2796

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm doing something similar to Hondabob's idea. I'm extending the intake tube straight up through the bseparator. The passenger seat and mounting a 6" tall x 6" diameter K&N filter to the top with an outerwear cover on it. Sure beats the hell out of the price of a partical seperator.
Once you get that done please put a picture up. Thanks!

Reactions: Montecresto
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Once you get that done please put a picture up. Thanks!
I don't have as many good pics as Bob but I copied his snorkel idea with the exception that I didn't run mine up to the roof, my filter stands right behind the passenger seat. I think the biggest advantage of roof level is rain protection but I don't ride in much rain. Saying that - one of my first rides was several hours in a drizzle and I didn't notice any running issues.

Some pics in posts 18 & 19.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Could we have the part #s for the red and black tubes? What's the O.D. of the black tube?

Black 3" aluminum tube is just Summit brand turbo pipe. It was $16.99.

Red silicone 3" coupler and 3" band clamps are Misimoto, also from Summit Racing. Less than $25 for all 3 pieces if i remember correctly.

The only other piece I bought besides the filter was the outer cover.

One thing to note.... Im running the PwrTune intake tube on my airbox. Its aluminum and 3" diameter. I cant say if the plastic s*** I took off is the same 3" size. I didn't bother measuring it and that tube is long gone.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Black 3" aluminum tube is just Summit brand turbo pipe. It was $16.99.

Red silicone 3" coupler and 3" band clamps are Misimoto, also from Summit Racing. Less than $25 for all 3 pieces if i remember correctly.

The only other piece I bought besides the filter was the outer cover.

One thing to note.... Im running the PwrTune intake tube on my airbox. Its aluminum and 3" diameter. I cant say if the plastic s*** I took off is the same 3" size. I didn't bother measuring it and that tube is long gone.
Thanks for the details. 👍

Are you going to use HondaBob's idea and keep the stock intake chamber? It's very close to 3" O.D. once the intake air horn is trimmed down (right under the 'hat').

The air horn is visible here - (photo thx to Lil_Steve)
I JxZSRKM L

Trimmed results in this -
I 7HPhcsr M

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the details. 👍

Are you going to use HondaBob's idea and keep the stock intake chamber? It's very close to 3" O.D. once the intake air horn is trimmed down (right under the 'hat').

The air horn is visible here - (photo thx to Lil_Steve)
View attachment 220946

Trimmed results in this -
View attachment 220947

No, like I stated above im using the PwrTune intake kit. It came with a throttle body adapter plate and an aluminum intake tube to replace the plastic tube you posted pictures of. Think I have a picture of it.....

Veli Talon 1 1

I doubt it actually does anything to make more power but seemed like a good way to mount my prefilter to something that wasn't plastic. And it bolts to the airbox unlike the factory tube with the plastic push pin.

Veli Talon 1 1

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!