R2C filter put to the test tomorrow

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
And the result is supreme filtration to say the least. I rode in the the most dusty ride I ever had ridden in and some of the freshly graded surface was like a powder, only place worse would maybe the desert. My intake tubes were squeaky clean as compared to the dirt filled air box as seen in the pic. I covered the intake tubes with the green UNI filter foam (lightly oiled) to catch any thing that got past the filter. After I cleaned the filter foam I could not find any evidence that anything got past. I cleaned the foam in a small clear glass container so I could see any debris. As always I oiled the inside of the air box to collect dirt and aid in extending the run time of the filter,

20200816 1241141

Last edited:
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good report! I may look at these closer when it's time to change my oem filter.

Reactions: TerryH
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And the result is supreme filtration to say the least. I rode in the the most dusty ride I ever had ridden in and some of the freshly graded surface was like a powder, only place worse would maybe the desert. My intake tubes were squeaky clean as compared to the dirt filled air box as seen in the pic. I covered the intake tubes with the green UNI filter foam (lightly oiled) to catch any thing that got past the filter. After I cleaned the filter foam I could not find any evidence that anything got past. I cleaned the foam in a small clear glass container so I could see any debris. As always I oiled the inside of the air box to collect dirt and aid in extending the run time of the filter,

View attachment 219024 View attachment 219026
So how dirty was the green UNI filter foam????

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
The UNI foam had a light coat of foam oil as any foam filter material should have. I washed it out in a small clear glass container with purple power and thoroughly cleaned the foam. I saved the water and soap mixture and let it sit to see if any sediment collected at the bottom. The water was cloudy due to the soap and oil that was dissolved. To the naked eye I could not see any sediment that settled at the bottom of the glass container. If there was anything there it was so minute I could not detect it.

I will most likely keep running the uni foam over the intake tubes just for added confidence that nothing but clean air is going down my motor and additionally I can not detect any power loss what so ever.

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
not to start an arguement, but why wouldn't you want to put a foam filter ahead of main filter to pre filter rather than after. That way you don't have to wear out the bolt holes in main air box getting into it to clean all the time (plus removing your storage box to get at it). With good pre filter you should not have to open main air box for 1000+ miles and probably longer. That is basically what we had with YXZ system, and it worked great. Main filter was like "Look at it at 2500 miles" thing as long as you did the 1st one on regular basisi.

Reactions: CID
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
not to start an arguement, but why wouldn't you want to put a foam filter ahead of main filter to pre filter rather than after. That way you don't have to wear out the bolt holes in main air box getting into it to clean all the time (plus removing your storage box to get at it). With good pre filter you should not have to open main air box for 1000+ miles and probably longer. That is basically what we had with YXZ system, and it worked great. Main filter was like "Look at it at 2500 miles" thing as long as you did the 1st one on regular basisi.
I think the purpose was to verify nothing was getting by the main filter and into the throttle bodies. The oil on the Uni filter would catch matter on the surface and be easily identifiable. Not many reviews of the R2C filters from Talon owners so I would be skeptical too if I were an early adopter.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i totally understand why he did the green foam ones (I would be careful too), but there have been several people that put extra filters inside the box in addition to normal one. I can see it helping the life of the big filter, but you still have to get in there to clean something. Just saying it is pain in butt to pull out storage box to get in there and those bolt holes won't last forever

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree, even if I end up with an R2C, I'll leave the 'hondabob snorkel' and Uni prefilter in place. But that could be a loooooonnnngggg time from now.

This plus the R2C would be Baja ready.
I gXGK7GX M

My filter at 1137 miles, good for a looong time.
I 2fqCwcL M

The Uni pod filter at 1066 miles. :oops:
I KRxxBDV L

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
What UNI filter are folks running over the stock intake tubes? But I certainly like the Hondabob snorkel intake. In the Midwest we ride in more mud then dust. But I plan on keeping my Talon for a long time, so keeping dust out of the intake is a priority. I had a RZR 800 that I had to have the motor rebuilt due to poor filtering. I don't want to pay for that again.

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What UNI filter are folks running over the stock intake tubes? But I certainly like the Hondabob snorkel intake. In the Midwest we ride in more mud then dust. But I plan on keeping my Talon for a long time, so keeping dust out of the intake is a priority. I had a RZR 800 that I had to have the motor rebuilt due to poor filtering. I don't want to pay for that again.
CID’s above looks to be pretty nice....just a little body cutting....
I bought the R2C and like (on a temporary basis) the test that @fartsalot is doing until a confidence can be built in it. But as @bjniceguy pointed out, the housing screws could be compromised over an extended period, not to mention the hassle of removing the storage box often and getting in there.

Reactions: PhilCod
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
CID’s above looks to be pretty nice....just a little body cutting....
I bought the R2C and like (on a temporary basis) the test that @fartsalot is doing until a confidence can be built in it. But as @bjniceguy pointed out, the housing screws could be compromised over an extended period, not to mention the hassle of removing the storage box often and getting in there.

Doesn’t the filter housing use threaded metal inserts for the hold down screws? I agree with it being a hassle to remove any storage boxes to get to the filter housing and not to mention every time you open it you need to be very sure the housing is closed up correctly and all the latches are secured. The long seal around the housing lid is a big leak risk, IMO. Seems like it would have been easier to design a cylinder shaped housing and filter where the installation of the filter and housing cover is much easier to get installed correctly. I guess the design guys thought cylinders took up too much space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Doesn’t the filter housing use threaded metal inserts for the hold down screws? I agree with it being a hassle to remove any storage boxes to get to the filter housing and not to mention every time you open it you need to be very sure the housing is closed up correctly and all the latches are secured. The long seal around the housing lid is a big leak risk, IMO. Seems like it would have been easier to design a cylinder shaped housing and filter where the installation of the filter and housing cover is much easier to get installed correctly. I guess the design guys thought cylinders took up too much space.
I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse but with hondabob's snorkel idea, I won't look at my stock filter again until 10,000 miles (well ok, maybe at 5,000) and then it will only be 'for the record' photos - it's really that good. I'm glad I won't have to access the stock filter very often for the reasons you mentioned.

Bob put his filter under the roof just forward of the ROPS, and about centered, making it rain proof. On one of my first rides, it drizzled much of the day and I forgot about my filter location - I was too new to SxSs, having too much fun and never thought about it. I never had a problem, the filter sits under the roof line and when moving it's pretty sheltered - it'll have to be a downpour to cause problems and I'm unlikely to be out then. It rarely rains that hard and those storms are short, I can wait them out.

The intake vacuum 'should' be able to pull water through the foam and it will accumulate in the airbox but never(?) get 'up' to the stock filter ... I hope. :p

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse but with hondabob's snorkel idea, I won't look at my stock filter again until 10,000 miles (well ok, maybe at 5,000) and then it will only be 'for the record' photos - it's really that good. I'm glad I won't have to access the stock filter very often for the reasons you mentioned.

Bob put his filter under the roof just forward of the ROPS, and about centered, making it rain proof. On one of my first rides, it drizzled much of the day and I forgot about my filter location - I was too new to SxSs, having too much fun and never thought about it. I never had a problem, the filter sits under the roof line and when moving it's pretty sheltered - it'll have to be a downpour to cause problems and I'm unlikely to be out then. It rarely rains that hard and those storms are short, I can wait them out.

The intake vacuum 'should' be able to pull water through the foam and it will accumulate in the airbox but never(?) get 'up' to the stock filter ... I hope. :p
My stock filter got wet with oem intake tubes.
Fyi.

• Wow
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
  • Haha
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm doing something similar to Hondabob's idea. I'm extending the intake tube straight up through the bseparator. The passenger seat and mounting a 6" tall x 6" diameter K&N filter to the top with an outerwear cover on it. Sure beats the hell out of the price of a partical seperator.

Reactions: Montecresto
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
For Talon owners who rather not or can not for what ever reason install a Hondabob type snorkel I think the r2c filter will be a viable option as opposed to the OEM filter. I'm going to keep the UNI foam cover over the tubes for safety sake for a while until I feel confident that the r2c is doing what is expected from it. I have a vacuum monitor installed that I tested and the slightest restriction will show on the gauge. I plan to start building up miles on the filter to see how long it goes and performs like it should. I find that taking the air box cover off for inspection a simple task. As I find no issues from inspection I will extend the inspection frequency each time,, I will rely on the green foam cover over the intake tubes to show what is getting past the filter if anything.

There was mention of the 8 screws that hold the filter in place wearing down the threads. I coat the threads with silver anti seize to lube them and I use light torque to protect the threads and not squish the soft rubber seal around the filter material. I suspect this filter will go some good distance before it needs maintence,,,, I will find out in time and miles.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For Talon owners who rather not or can not for what ever reason install a Hondabob type snorkel I think the r2c filter will be a viable option as opposed to the OEM filter. I'm going to keep the UNI foam cover over the tubes for safety sake for a while until I feel confident that the r2c is doing what is expected from it. I have a vacuum monitor installed that I tested and the slightest restriction will show on the gauge. I plan to start building up miles on the filter to see how long it goes and performs like it should. I find that taking the air box cover off for inspection a simple task. As I find no issues from inspection I will extend the inspection frequency each time,, I will rely on the green foam cover over the intake tubes to show what is getting past the filter if anything.

There was mention of the 8 screws that hold the filter in place wearing down the threads. I coat the threads with silver anti seize to lube them and I use light torque to protect the threads and not squish the soft rubber seal around the filter material. I suspect this filter will go some good distance before it needs maintence,,,, I will find out in time and miles.
We'd sure appreciate an occasional pic or two at your chosen maintenance checks (mileage when photo'd). Don't be afraid to get some real close ups so we can actually see the pleats, plz.

Remember there have been 'some' instances where one of the two large o-rings running around the perimeter has been out of its groove.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!