Rear Axle Failure

G

Greeny

Sep 4, 2019
Colville Wa 99114
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been asking about this popping sound on this forum for awhile now. Is your popping sound like a hammer tapping on metal? Does it happen when hitting medium size ruts, bumps not only in a turn? Honda warranted my rear wheel bearings at 3,500 miles, (Thank you Honda), I brought my Talon R in specifically for this issue (popping) noise, new bearings did not fix the popping sound. Just got my sub-trans recall I will ask about the axles when I set my appoint to address that. Glad I'm not the only Talon owner that this is driving crazy! Any Info you you can provide me is appreciated.

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok so I replaced both rear axles with aftermarkets. The brand is Trak Motive. Maybe these won't start popping at 400 miles. I will tear the oem ones down soon and try to figure out the popping issue.

Reactions: Biteme and IDIOT
spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been asking about this popping sound on this forum for awhile now. Is your popping sound like a hammer tapping on metal? Does it happen when hitting medium size ruts, bumps not only in a turn? Honda warranted my rear wheel bearings at 3,500 miles, (Thank you Honda), I brought my Talon R in specifically for this issue (popping) noise, new bearings did not fix the popping sound. Just got my sub-trans recall I will ask about the axles when I set my appoint to address that. Glad I'm not the only Talon owner that this is driving crazy! Any Info you you can provide me is appreciated.
This is the second time I have replaced the rear axles, first oem now aftermarket. Both times it has fixed the popping sound while turning on hard surfaces.

Reactions: Biteme and IDIOT
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I had the same popping sound. It got worse over time. Tried to warranty and the dealer denied saying the axle was bent and creating a bind on the inner cv. Went with another oem as it’s made in Japan and the aftermarket ones were made in China for more dough. If I have more problems and go with an aftermarket brand I’ll do both at the same time.

Reactions: IDIOT and Biteme
K

kidamer

Jun 20, 2019
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I had the same popping sound. It got worse over time. Tried to warranty and the dealer denied saying the axle was bent and creating a bind on the inner cv. Went with another oem as it’s made in Japan and the aftermarket ones were made in China for more dough. If I have more problems and go with an aftermarket brand I’ll do both at the same time.
May be an issue my left cv axle fell apart when they were looking at it during its service, when I took it in for its second service 700 miles and its used to ride around on the farm this thing has been babied, Got some popping noises 3 days prior.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CID
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
May be an issue my left cv axle fell apart when they were looking at it during its service, when I took it in for its second service 700 miles and its used to ride around on the farm this thing has been babied, Got some popping noises 3 days prior.
Mine was left side (driver) as well

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine was left side (driver) as well
I get that same popping/knocking noise in my left side also. Does it when I turn sharply from a stopped position and just start to move. No noise when I go straight forward however. Definitely a design problem or we all would not be dealing with the same type noise, 2600 miles BTW.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok so I replaced both rear axles with aftermarkets. The brand is Trak Motive. Maybe these won't start popping at 400 miles. I will tear the oem ones down soon and try to figure out the popping issue.
Can you order directly from Trak Motive? They offer a HD version for the talon

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Woulda been my dream machine then. Give me my base talon x2 with the manual diff modes from my pioneer 1000. Done, perfect machine!
I’d like that as well

Reactions: TripleB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh, and you guys do realize that these "aftermarket" axles are nothing more than cromoly shafts with the same size CV's that it comes with from the factory? Unless your snapping the shaft itself, you are wasting your money buying those inferior Chinese CV joints.

When a company such as RCV starts making complete drop in shaft assemblies thats when ill think about going aftermarket. Until then I'm sticking with genuine Honda parts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh, and you guys do realize that these "aftermarket" axles are nothing more than cromoly shafts with the same size CV's that it comes with from the factory? Unless your snapping the shaft itself, you are wasting your money buying those inferior Chinese CV joints.

When a company such as RCV starts making complete drop in shaft assemblies thats when ill think about going aftermarket. Until then I'm sticking with genuine Honda parts.
YEP! Probably need to revisit your lift and most important your spring sang, 1.5 is a good start.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
YEP! Probably need to revisit your lift and most important your spring sang, 1.5 is a good start.

I dont know what the X rear suspension looks like fully extended but on my R, at full droop the CV joint angles are on the extreme end of the spectrum. That itself will wear the joints out prematurely.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wouldn't that make it a Pioneer??? 🤣

Haha! Pretty close LOL. I didn't want anything much crazier than my pioneer though. Just wanted about 5-6" more travel, a little more ground clearance, 32s on stock suspension without breaking axles, and the more comfortable interior. Now having owned one, I think there are definitely more pros to the talon in my opinion than just those. But when I bought it, that is all I was after.

If they ever release a "base" talon with the manual cable selectable diff modes... I'll sell mine in a heartbeat, no matter how set up I have it.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Haha! Pretty close LOL. I didn't want anything much crazier than my pioneer though. Just wanted about 5-6" more travel, a little more ground clearance, 32s on stock suspension without breaking axles, and the more comfortable interior. Now having owned one, I think there are definitely more pros to the talon in my opinion than just those. But when I bought it, that is all I was after.

If they ever release a "base" talon with the manual cable selectable diff modes... I'll sell mine in a heartbeat, no matter how set up I have it.
I would buy 1 too.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!