Rear diff very noisy & pops

A

Ahanson

Dec 31, 2015
I drove his and it made a popping noise Honda sent the axles but the rest of the rear end will not come til mid February I suspect a redo of something in the rear end. No news on what was making the noise he may get anew case also news to follow in feb

A

Ahanson

Dec 31, 2015
It made the noise going slow or fast no problems with mine yet changing the oil is a pain

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I drove his and it made a popping noise Honda sent the axles but the rest of the rear end will not come til mid February I suspect a redo of something in the rear end. No news on what was making the noise he may get anew case also news to follow in feb

Thanks for the information, we are always sharing information among other owners of both good and not so good experiences with our equipment. Please let us know how it turns out. Meanwhile feel free to post some pictures of your P500 and rides you have been on. We all like a good adventure story. :D

Reactions: Hondasxs
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine had the roaring noise but no popping... Royal purple gear oil and I don't even hear the gear roar. I'm just having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd when the motor is cold.

A

Ahanson

Dec 31, 2015
Thanks for the information, we are always sharing information among other owners of both good and not so good experiences with our equipment. Please let us know how it turns out. Meanwhile feel free to post some pictures of your P500 and rides you have been on. We all like a good adventure story. :D

Honda finally sent a complete new rear end and extended his warranty by 3 months. The short stub axles were toast also. It has been at the shop since December of 15.

H

Hondafreak

Feb 10, 2016
Rienzi Mississippi
Mine made all kinds of racket until I changed rear end oil to Mobile1 75w 140. Mine made a rattling sound when holding it at a steady speed and letting off the gas a little. After I switch oil it's fine now.

Reactions: Montecresto
W

Wyoming

Apr 25, 2016
Wyoming
Nice to see Im not the only one with this problem. I have been after my dealer for a repair for this issue since last may when we bought a new 500. So far the only answer I have got is that they all make that noise and its normal. B.S.! Im a mechanic and that is definitely not normal Its trying to come apart!
I think its the loudest during deceleration. We also have the rear windshield and this seem to magnify the already loud noise. Almost makes you not want to drive it for fear of being stranded. Its going in for its first service soon so I will find out if they have any updates, if not I will try the oil trick.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the oil is not a trick the noise you hear is the play in the rear diff putting in a better heavier oil stops the problem

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i had the same noise u have now i changes the fluids and its gone and i put my p5 through hell

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
I can't find the spec's on what type the rear differential is, locker, limited slip or open. I use to get a noise like that in my 700 Rincon. Be driving along and all of a sudden a loud pop when letting of the gas. I changed the rear fluid to a 100% synthetic (non-Honda) and the noise never returned. It sounded a lot like the Limited Slip Differential in my Firebird when the clutches were sticking. This is what I used Severe Gear® 75W-90 Synthetic

Has anyone tried changing the fluid?

Last edited:
advertisement
Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
Then I would not be using oem branded gear lube, its lacking or uses weak additives or it gets contaminated too easily.

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
Don't think I would use a 75W-140 if a 75W-90 or 80W-90 is recommended. Thicker lube makes the gear case run hotter because it causes more friction.

That's a viscosity used in heavy duty trucks like the Ford SDF350 dually.

Here is a Severe Gear® 75W-110 Synthetic Lube

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can't find the spec's on what type the rear differential is, locker, limited slip or open. I use to get a noise like that in my 700 Rincon. Be driving along and all of a sudden a loud pop when letting of the gas. I changed the rear fluid to a 100% synthetic (non-Honda) and the noise never returned. It sounded a lot like the Limited Slip Differential in my Firebird when the clutches were sticking. This is what I used Severe Gear® 75W-90 Synthetic

Has anyone tried changing the fluid?
The rear "diff" isn't as much a "diff" as it is a spool... It's locked all the time - both wheels spin the same speed 100% of the time. I see others use the 75w-140 with good luck, but I chose to stick to the grade recommended by the book. I'm an Amsoil dealer, so I used the ATV/UTV gear oil they offer now. 80W-90 I believe... It did quiet the noise a bit. Between the fluid and working the machine very hard, pulling a disc, trailer, etc it has quieted down a lot now. I really do think that they need some time to break in. Others here have noticed the noise quieting down after getting some miles on.

A

Ahanson

Dec 31, 2015
New rear case, new axles as they were chewed up inside the case, no noise now but it took 3 months for the parts to come.
Call the Honda rep if the dealer is not taking care of your problem

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!