P500 Rear end noise??

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Okay, so we have all came to the conclusion the rear end makes noise and I have gotten use to it. But today I noticed if I back up and turn the wheel sharp it clunks very loud, then when I straighten up it clears and it starting to do this some in first and second gear at low speeds of course. I changed to the heavier weight mobile one gear oil and it didn't change much. I even made sure my clutch adjustment screw was dialed in to be safe. It's running fine but I hog hunt and have a 2 bay dog box on the back, I would say about 400lbs fully loaded. It's this normal, does the noise get louder with time from wear and tear on the P500's? I have 800 miles on it. What are the early signs if the rear end starts to go?

Last edited:
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Mine use to do that. I replaced all the rear CV boots and it doesn't do it now. IDK if it will work for you but it fixed mine. I had holes in my boots so thats why they all got replaced. New grease. oh 700 tho

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Mine use to do that. I replaced all the rear CV boots and it doesn't do it now. IDK if it will work for you but it fixed mine. I had holes in my boots so thats why they all got replaced.
Mine use to do that. I replaced all the rear CV boots and it doesn't do it now. IDK if it will work for you but it fixed mine. I had holes in my boots so thats why they all got replaced. New grease. oh 700 tho

Attachments

• IMG_20151004_190059272.jpg
    IMG_20151004_190059272.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 353
joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Right rear boot has a dent, I did not even think about the U-joint being bad? It is more of a loud pop that you can feel. Can the U-joint go bad in just 6 months?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I don't think it will be bad but the new grease and you checking it out wouldn't hurt. I have thought for awhile the joints is what is making the noise. Said it on other post too. Rear end noise post like this one. The pop crack noises.

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
I don't think it will be bad but the new grease and you checking it out wouldn't hurt. I have thought for awhile the joints is what is making the noise. Said it on other post too. Rear end noise post like this one. The pop crack noises.
There is a clunking noise for sure but this could be one of the U joint, I am going to check them and order new outer boots and grease them if it's possible.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Yep. You might should go ahead and get inner boot too. Just to have if nothing else.

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
I pulled the dented boot off, it still has grease in it and I could see some water beads. I added grease the CV joint and the noise has not changed, is the rear end a positive traction? When I am in reverse and have the wheel turned as far as it goes either to the right or left on concrete there is a popping noise in the rear, it does this on both side depending which direction I go. I checked the axles and there is no play in them and they have grease. I only have 90 hours on my P500. Can this popping be normal, once I straighten the wheel the popping stops. I did change the rear end oil and it looked fine. Any thoughts or suggestions? I drive in a lot of water in my hunting club but find it hard to believe the axles are going in just 6 months.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I attempted to re-grease a joint on my P700 after tearing a boot. The joint looked good and it was full of grease after I reinstalled it. It still popped like crazy and sounded like it was in the rear end. I ended up buying a new joint and the problem was fixed.

I hope this helps.

Joe

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
I attempted to re-grease a joint on my P700 after tearing a boot. The joint looked good and it was full of grease after I reinstalled it. It still popped like crazy and sounded like it was in the rear end. I ended up buying a new joint and the problem was fixed.

I hope this helps.

Joe

It sounds like both sides popping depending on the direction I turn. Just find it hard to believe the joint is worn this soon?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe it got some grit in it when the water entered? That's what happened to me but I had a badly torn boot.

I like the chances that the two issues are related instead of a coincidence that you have a popping sound and just so happened to have a seal breach on a CV joint.

Do you know anyone with a Nother 500? If so you could borrow an axle to test it

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Maybe it got some grit in it when the water entered? That's what happened to me but I had a badly torn boot.

I like the chances that the two issues are related instead of a coincidence that you have a popping sound and just so happened to have a seal breach on a CV joint.

Do you know anyone with a Nother 500? If so you could borrow an axle to test it

No, I think it's CV joint versus differential. If the joint is bad I will just put a new axle on it but don't want to if this is normal for other P500 owners.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sure it isn't just the rubber CV Boot making the noise? Other members have traced the noise to that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled the dented boot off, it still has grease in it and I could see some water beads. I added grease the CV joint and the noise has not changed, is the rear end a positive traction? When I am in reverse and have the wheel turned as far as it goes either to the right or left on concrete there is a popping noise in the rear, it does this on both side depending which direction I go. I checked the axles and there is no play in them and they have grease. I only have 90 hours on my P500. Can this popping be normal, once I straighten the wheel the popping stops. I did change the rear end oil and it looked fine. Any thoughts or suggestions? I drive in a lot of water in my hunting club but find it hard to believe the axles are going in just 6 months.
Rear is a solid axel no differential on rear of 500/700, just a ring and pinion gear set.

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Got a new axle coming, will see if that helps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!