P1000 Rear end-transmission noises

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Do your machines have wining noises that start and stop with throttle pressure. 30 40 mph range. If so are they as loud as the tire noise on payvment. Im at about 3500 miles. The origional noises have left but this one persists. I have synthetic in the diffs, and Honda synthetic blend in the motor

Reactions: my99svt
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do your machines have wining noises that start and stop with throttle pressure. 30 40 mph range. If so are they as loud as the tire noise on payvment. Im at about 3500 miles. The origional noises have left but this one persists. I have synthetic in the diffs, and Honda synthetic blend in the motor

Yes that's normal. Honda uses straight cut gears which are noisy. I don't really think synthetic oil would help but heavier weight oil does help.

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I don't have a whine, never has. Now I have 2200 miles and at 2000 miles mine started a loud rattling noise from 20 MPH and up just before it shifts then goes away until it is about to shift again. The sound comes from where the solenoid use to clunk before it would shift until it got broke in. Now it is quiet but it rattles before it shifts. Anybody have that noise.

Last edited:
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have a whine, never has. Now I have 2200 miles and at 2000 miles mine started a loud rattling noise from 20 MPH and up just before it shifts then goes away until it is about to shift again. The sound comes from where the solenoid use to clunk before it would shift until it got broke in. Now it is quiet but it rattles before it shifts. Anybody have that noise.

Unit has >1000 miles...I don't have the noise you described, but it does have the "straight cut differential gear whine". What I have that bugs the crap out of me is a persistent and very prominent rattle in 4WD at higher speed...like about 38mph. I have my suspicions from posting here about it being the front locker mechanism but it still sucks this unit has SO many weird noises to deal with. Honda's are reknown for being smooth and silent...not in the case of the P1K's...

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Unit has >1000 miles...I don't have the noise you described, but it does have the "straight cut differential gear whine". What I have that bugs the crap out of me is a persistent and very prominent rattle in 4WD at higher speed...like about 38mph. I have my suspensions from posting here about it being the front locker mechanism but it still sucks this unit has SO many weird noises to deal with. Honda's are reknown for being smooth and silent...not in the case of the P1K's...
Just curious, but why would you be going that fast in 4wd? Maybe Im doing it wrong, but I only use 4wd when needed, and its never over 15 mph, if I am going above 15 or maybe 20 at most, my thoughts are I shouldn't need 4wd

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Valves need adjusting?

Reactions: sporttrac4x4
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious, but why would you be going that fast in 4wd? Maybe Im doing it wrong, but I only use 4wd when needed, and its never over 15 mph, if I am going above 15 or maybe 20 at most, my thoughts are I shouldn't need 4wd

Well...I don't run fast in 4WD anymore...and the reason is, because of the destructive sound the unit makes...But what got me here in the first place was...I came from Honda 4-wheelers, Rincon, Rancher etc. On those machines, you can run in 4WD as fast as you want, and on ANY surface you want. They are pretty much indestructable. In fact, one old Rancher my buddy had only had 4WD, 2WD was not an option. he ran the piss out of that thing for YEARS...and it never complained.

Another reason for running fast in 4WD is, out west here, there are essentially 100 MPH dirt roads that run across Nevada for hundreds of miles. Much of it is loose dirt and gravel with a mix of anything in between. When you run say an hour or so at 40-60 mph, sliding in and out of curves and up ad down loose inclines, the Pioneer in 4WD feels like a little SCORE class 3 truck.

At first I thought I'd run the fooker until it broke then I take it in under warranty and we would ALL know what the problem..But I gave up on tearing it up...run in 2WD or TURF and gave the little bugger a break.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a noise similar to what you're describing. Honda decided to hold up the floor board with a network of rods that hook from below the seat, then run under the floor board forward and back up to under the dash. Stupidest design I could've never thought of. Well these rods are twisted around each other and held together with zip ties. They rattle like crazy at certain engine RPMs, which might explain your noise only before shifts. I stuffed a ship load of foam all up under the floor and these rods and duct taped the crap out of the twisty connections and it is quiet now. Looks like a red-neck Walmart lawnmower under there but it's quiet now lol!

Reactions: CID
X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I had a noise similar to what you're describing. Honda decided to hold up the floor board with a network of rods that hook from below the seat, then run under the floor board forward and back up to under the dash. Stupidest design I could've never thought of. Well these rods are twisted around each other and held together with zip ties. They rattle like crazy at certain engine RPMs, which might explain your noise only before shifts. I stuffed a ship load of foam all up under the floor and these rods and duct taped the crap out of the twisty connections and it is quiet now. Looks like a red-neck Walmart lawnmower under there but it's quiet now lol!
Thanks for the update, I will definitely look into that. Thanks again!

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Thanks for the update, I will definitely look into that. Thanks again!
I found those rods making a s*** ton of noise too. Our town is full of utv driving around and for the most part our honda is quiet comparatively. I do hate how noisy the rear diff and main engine to trans gears are cut, but what are you gonna do?

advertisement
P

Petera

Jul 2, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Unit has >1000 miles...I don't have the noise you described, but it does have the "straight cut differential gear whine". What I have that bugs the crap out of me is a persistent and very prominent rattle in 4WD at higher speed...like about 38mph. I have my suspicions from posting here about it being the front locker mechanism but it still sucks this unit has SO many weird noises to deal with. Honda's are reknown for being smooth and silent...not in the case of the P1K's...
Mine has the same rattle, only in 4wd at same speed. It only has 100kms on it. Disappointing.

Reactions: Smitty335