P500 Rear Panel- What are you using?

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Took a good ride yesterday and noticed a ton of dust coming in, figured a back panel would keep the dust out. I see the honda oem one is only 140$. What are ones you have purchased and do you like it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Took a good ride yesterday and noticed a ton of dust coming in, figured a back panel would keep the dust out. I see the honda oem one is only 140$. What are ones you have purchased and do you like it.

It helps a lot but not 100%. I always use mine in the down position.

Reactions: 393stroker
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm wondering the same thing,I also looked at the Koplin rear panel for $180.00 it is solid lexan,I am leaning towards this,I am also wanting to see if anyone has used this.

393stroker

393stroker

May 26, 2015
I agree with joeymt33. I went through this last summer. I bought the oem honda front and back window. And have already noticed how dusty it gets inside cab. The best way to keep the dust under control is no windows front or back. But I like the Windows for rain and wind protection. I guess you have to choose the lesser evil for yourself. As soon as it warms up a little more I am taking both of mine off for the summertime.

miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
oceanside long island new york
I have the oem one but it sucked one day of riding and the center panel had split in two spots and the roll bar ruined side glass due to rubbing so I had my canvas guy install / replace center glass with a thicker piece and had side panels replace with thick black canvas
IMG 0991

Reactions: trigger and Eltobgi
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I've been running the OEM panel for over 2,000 miles (8 months). It has held up well, and keeps the wind and rain out. That's really all I expected it to do, and it has done so with no problems. In fact, out of all the components of the cab enclosure (windshield, roof, doors, etc.), it seems to be the best fitting and most well-designed. I cannot say that vinyl/canvas would have been my first choice, but if it keeps me warm and dry, I don't see that stainless steel would serve my purposes any better. Ha! The aluminum cab enclosure looks really nice, and if they come out with doors in the near future, I will probably be spending some more money. But, for now, I am happy with the OEM panel. It's well worth the money spent.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I use an old koplin atv cab that I cut the back off. It has pockets in it and cuts the dust by about 30%. Cracking the front window make a huge difference.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I made a rear panel using black 3mm thick UHMW and clear Lexan for the window. I also integrated this with synthetic truckers tarp from the bottom of the panel to under the seat deck. This works with my custom clear Lexan roof, front window and snorkel. Rear panel, front windows are attached in such a way they come off using no tools using Honda ROPS clamps and Velcro straping. Hopefully will keep more of the dust, rain, mud and other keerap out gonna try it today and will let you know how it works.

Pix here: Dropbox - P5 mods

Cheers
jrc

JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got some heavy vynol from Walmart and heavry Velcro then cut to size and Velcro on works good easy cheap

Reactions: Montecresto
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda OEM rear panel and it really works good, never any dust but then again every time I go out it rains like heck or hails.

advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This might be apples to oranges, but we have the both the mid panel and the rear panel for our 700 and really like them. We use the rear in the summer with the family and the mid in the winter when it is just me plowing. One thing I like about the OEM versions is the ability to unhook and roll them up while trailering. I would be nervous about a hard panel in the rear.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't up to this point had a issue with the Honda soft panel. I think it was about $70 from Amazon. My rear view mirror sees okay out of it and it has kept stuff out. Only issue is with the heat from under the seat when its closed so unless its raining we usually crack the window. Dust is in my opinion going to be a problem no matter what. If the road is dry and dusty you will be coated with the stuff.

Reactions: JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't up to this point had a issue with the Honda soft panel. I think it was about $70 from Amazon. My rear view mirror sees okay out of it and it has kept stuff out. Only issue is with the heat from under the seat when its closed so unless its raining we usually crack the window. Dust is in my opinion going to be a problem no matter what. If the road is dry and dusty you will be coated with the stuff.

I got this one
has a horseshoe
zipper window
works great....
dust / dirt / mud /
all part of riding...
goggles....helps

20160810 144823

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think you're right, dust is coming in. Vinyl breaks down and soon rear view mirror vision is diminished.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I have the Honda front windshield and the back fabric one (the one Rocmar has)...even with all the dust this year, no issues...I open the zipper on the back window while riding alone and, with the front one open also, the dust seems to dissipate..BTW I have 2900 miles on that back windshield and, though vision is diminished, it's not horrible

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Look at my Stomper
after riding 4 days

20160529 113537

Reactions: JTW and Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda front windshield and the back fabric one (the one Rocmar has)...even with all the dust this year, no issues...I open the zipper on the back window while riding alone and, with the front one open also, the dust seems to dissipate..BTW I have 2900 miles on that back windshield and, though vision is diminished, it's not horrible
I hear ya. ...Bro

Reactions: SBuckJ
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with joeymt33. I went through this last summer. I bought the oem honda front and back window. And have already noticed how dusty it gets inside cab. The best way to keep the dust under control is no windows front or back. But I like the Windows for rain and wind protection. I guess you have to choose the lesser evil for yourself. As soon as it warms up a little more I am taking both of mine off for the summertime.
Half windshield and cab net in rear...never had a dust problem.

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
TUSK makes a rear screen window for $60 through ROCKY MOUNTAIN ATV. We use one and it makes a big difference.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!