P1000 Reflections on this purchase

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Between the heat problems, water ingestion problems, clutch problems, clanky shifting, and every door and moveable part rattling to beat the band, I don't think I would pick this brand again for a SxS. I am a long time Honda customer and this is the first really disappointing purchase I have made. I have friends with new Kawasaki and Yamaha SxSs and they have none of these issues. You might say why don't you just sell it (2016 P1000-5)? My kids spent $18000 on this thing and we have put another $1000 in accessories on it. They bought us this present because it was a Honda and thought it would last because we are retired and on a fixed income that doesn't provide for an $8000 loss to make a change. I say all of this to encourage prospective buyers to really spend the time to research all the brands and don't just assume the Pioneer is the best just because it has a Honda name tag.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is no such thing as the "perfect" machine.

They all have their own particular issues.

I owned a Yamaha Viking for 2.5 years. It was a great machine. EXCEPT;
*Every week or so, someone else on the forum blew up a tranny because of one particular bolt that backs out. Yamaha will not fix it.
*blown head gaskets were common
*Exhaust pipes breaking off at the head
*rear shocks sagging within the first year of ownership
Add to that the fact that it has crappy suspension (far less travel than the Honda), is underpowered, and is NOISY. One of the things I love about the Honda is how quiet it is.

Kawasaki Tyrex;
*you think the Honda seat gets warm? It's nothing compared to the Kawi, or the CanAm, for that matter. The Pioneer will walk all over the Tyrex in the power area. Honda also has better suspension, and a more comfy cabin.

Polaris;
Where do I start....

Every machine except the Honda run belts. Some are better than others (Yamaha) but they still get shredded from time to time. That'd be a nice job to do on the trail don't ya think? Not.

The bottom line is Honda makes a dam good machine, it's not perfect, but it can be made to be darned near. If you've had the udates, your clutch should be golden. The clanky shifting will smooth out over time as it gets broken in. Water ingestion is fixed quite simpy by using the kit from a member here. Not a big deal. The doors rattle a little bit.. RG3 makes new hinge inserts that should help that a lot. The bed rattle on a lot of machines can be simply adjusted out. On mine I had to put a short piece of fuel line on the bed side of the latch.. works like a charm.

I also am a long time Honda ATV and motorcycle owner. My 2002 Rancher has somewhere just south of 10,000 miles on it. I replaced the shift drum at about 5K, the angle sensor at 7K, and am on my 3rd bar-mount E-brake holder. Pretty damn good service for sure.
I'll bet that if I take care of my Pioneer the same way I have the Rancher (after I do the little stuff that Honda forgot to do) it'll last just as long.

Relax. IMO, your kids picked the right machine. Trust me, I did my research before I switched from the Yamaha.

You own the best game in town.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Between the heat problems, water ingestion problems, clutch problems, clanky shifting, and every door and moveable part rattling to beat the band, I don't think I would pick this brand again for a SxS. I am a long time Honda customer and this is the first really disappointing purchase I have made. I have friends with new Kawasaki and Yamaha SxSs and they have none of these issues. You might say why don't you just sell it (2016 P1000-5)? My kids spent $18000 on this thing and we have put another $1000 in accessories on it. They bought us this present because it was a Honda and thought it would last because we are retired and on a fixed income that doesn't provide for an $8000 loss to make a change. I say all of this to encourage prospective buyers to really spend the time to research all the brands and don't just assume the Pioneer is the best just because it has a Honda name tag.
I've felt the same way about my '16 P1K-3 in the past. Did Honda miss the ball on several issues? Absolutely! But as time goes on and I fix Honda's screw-ups, I'm beginning to like my machine more and more. As others have noted on other threads, the clanky shifting really does keep getting better and better over a few thousand miles. Instead of it showing signs of age and fatigue and wearing out at about 6,000 miles, it actually feels like it's just getting worn in. Like a new pair of boots. My advice would be to:
1: just go ahead and accept the fact that Honda made a few really stupid and frustrating mistakes on this machine (that's the hardest one)
2: get all your updates done
3: make your own improvements to the stock shortcomings
Once you do these, I think you'll like your machine a lot more. (you'll still be pissed at Honda, but you'll like your machine). It has worked for me anyway. Good luck and I hope you grow to like your P1K!

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've felt the same way about my '16 P1K-3 in the past. Did Honda miss the ball on several issues? Absolutely! But as time goes on and I fix Honda's screw-ups, I'm beginning to like my machine more and more. As others have noted on other threads, the clanky shifting really does keep getting better and better over a few thousand miles. Instead of it showing signs of age and fatigue and wearing out at about 6,000 miles, it actually feels like it's just getting worn in. Like a new pair of boots. My advice would be to:
1: just go ahead and accept the fact that Honda made a few really stupid and frustrating mistakes on this machine (that's the hardest one)
2: get all your updates done
3: make your own improvements to the stock shortcomings
Once you do these, I think you'll like your machine a lot more. (you'll still be pissed at Honda, but you'll like your machine). It has worked for me anyway. Good luck and I hope you grow to like your P1K!

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My post on this is a lot shorter and not as good as the first 2 above me did but I have a 2016 factory up grades done and have had no problems, Love this machine !

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 1400 miles on it so far and I intend to get all the updates done. I would be interested in where to buy the quieter hinges. I guess I wouldn't be so disappointed if I didn't know Honda can do better. I have a 1998 Recon that still runs great. I have also owned 4 new Honda autos, Honda lawnmower, Honda weed eater, at least 5 Honda dirt bikes all bought new and were flawless till the day I sold them.
We have taken our Pioneer to Colorado twice and rode all over the mountains so I want be happy with this and if I can get all these upgrades done maybe I will be. On a side note, why is it that we have to come here to find out what is available and most of the dealers act like its news to them?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
On a side note, why is it that we have to come here to find out what is available and most of the dealers act like its news to them?
Because these guys (and gals) are the best there is when it comes to the Pioneer!

Dont forget, yours was the first year model. I know that does not help but it explains a lot.
2016 needs some love. Most is free or cheap. Except the door bushings. I will assume you followed a few threads on those issues.

My 2016 along with many others are pushing lots of miles and absolutely love it.

RB3 sold the bushings to weller racing. See if I can find a link.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Between the heat problems, water ingestion problems, clutch problems, clanky shifting, and every door and moveable part rattling to beat the band, I don't think I would pick this brand again for a SxS.

Which of these issues did you personally experience? On my 16' I heard about water concerns and addressed it for $20. Heat problem $15, and fixed all the rattles for $5. I never had a clutch or shifting issue but got the clutch update done, it's free.

As stated there is no perfect machine and it sucks dropping close to 20k and then having to fix stupid little things. I'm with ya. I've also said trucks aren't perfect either and it sucks buying a $50k truck and having to fix stupid things. I think its the world we live in today.

I recently sold my 16 and bought an 18 limited. It rides better, drives better, shifts better, does it all better. My 16 shifted VERY smooth but the 18 is noticeably better. Sometimes you can't even tell it shifted.

Theres a thread with how many miles people put on. Someone is over 14k miles. I think you'll come to find this Honda will still outlast all the other brands.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

It’s been said before but I’ll say it again... the PK5 is a jack of all trades and master of none. The suspension and power aren’t going to be on par with a rzr. The killer with all these machines is how we ride them.. they’re big and heavy and yet we drive them like a 4 Wheeler. Speed and weight are just hard on them. Same with all the other brands.. ours is just heavier and all the s*** we throw on them just adds to it. There are some issues but Honda has actually done a decent job of addressing them.

advertisement
J

JTW

Which of these issues did you personally experience? On my 16' I heard about water concerns and addressed it for $20. Heat problem $15, and fixed all the rattles for $5. I never had a clutch or shifting issue but got the clutch update done, it's free.

As stated there is no perfect machine and it sucks dropping close to 20k and then having to fix stupid little things. I'm with ya. I've also said trucks aren't perfect either and it sucks buying a $50k truck and having to fix stupid things. I think its the world we live in today.

I recently sold my 16 and bought an 18 limited. It rides better, drives better, shifts better, does it all better. My 16 shifted VERY smooth but the 18 is noticeably better. Sometimes you can't even tell it shifted.

Theres a thread with how many miles people put on. Someone is over 14k miles. I think you'll come to find this Honda will still outlast all the other brands.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
@hondabob

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve actually had a few problems and before most did. Was called out on things just to see updates based on the same issues shortly after.
Guess what...bought another. It’s a hard machine to beat especially for its size. There are more positives then negatives and I believe it’s worth a chance from anyone especially after said updates and just a few upgrades. I can’t imagine how much they’ve spent on the updates in hopes to fix prior mistakes and bad publicity, but they are doing it rather then building the same issue for years until gov mandated like some.
I will say it’s engine/transmission design is overly complicated for an off road vehicle but it’s damn good. Been enjoying our new one, currently awaiting the clutch upgrade in hopes of many more miles of enjoyment.

J

JTW

I’ve actually had a few problems and before most did. Was called out on things just to see updates based on the same issues shortly after.
Guess what...bought another. It’s a hard machine to beat especially for its size. There are more positives then negatives and I believe it’s worth a chance from anyone especially after said updates and just a few upgrades. I can’t imagine how much they’ve spent on the updates in hopes to fix prior mistakes and bad publicity, but they are doing it rather then building the same issue for years until gov mandated like some.
I will say it’s engine/transmission design is overly complicated for an off road vehicle but it’s damn good. Been enjoying our new one, currently awaiting the clutch upgrade in hopes of many more miles of enjoyment.
We all know it’s really due to your excessive drinking and destructive nature.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I got my 700, I confess that I was disappointed with the refinement level. Not what I expected from a Honda. I really don't think this is the same company that brought us CBR-F's and 300 4x4's.
In my brief time in the 1000 (all of 5 minutes), it seemed to have that refinement the 700 was missing...which makes sense as it costs quite a bit more. And consider that Honda has really only been a serious player in the SxS game since 2014 (sorry BR guys). In some areas, they certainly have some catching up.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Meh I got one of the first 2016s sure it doesn’t ride like a car, it’s not silent and the seat gets warm. Again all of these things are fairly easy fixes. Mine been up past the dash in water, climbed rocks and flipped more times than I can count. Have I tinkered with the old girl, you bet I have expect that out of every first year model.

I can’t tell you how many miles it has on it anymore (literally) but it has a lot and all of them have been on some of the hardest trails and it keeps surprising me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh no, sorry to hear this Jbird!!!!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
One thing that I don't think can be argued is that the Honda (Pioneer) accessories for the most part suck. Fit like a saddle on a sow.
I install this stuff just about everyday, and before I went to work at a Honda dealer, I was as big of a Honda fanboy as a person could be. But with that said, I will still only buy Honda powersports products.
But I would also like to add Kawasaki sucks equally as much, actually more, and I will never bring a Kawasaki of any kind home with me :eek:.
Okay, rant over ;)

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!