P1000 removing dash

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Has anyone removed the dash. I want to put rubber under the shifting levers to stop all the wind. The wind is more than the Honda heater puts out and is cold this time of year.

Reactions: Lady01
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has anyone removed the dash. I want to put rubber under the shifting levers to stop all the wind. The wind is more than the Honda heater puts out and is cold this time of year.
You must be hauling ass it's usually heat from the radiator coming out of mine:)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Mine is hot all the time. I would like to keep it in the winter and block it in the summer.

I'll be watching what you come up with.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I had the same idea. It's crazy - on a warm day I start driving and I get a rush of hot air coming into the cab. But in winter I get a cold blast of air. How did you mange that Honda?

My thought was to use a sheet of rubber (pond liner) about 6 inches down the lever so it won't pinch or pull when shifting. Then attach the edges to the back of the dash. Much like a boot in reverse. Not sure about attaching it. I might use gorilla tape and see how long it holds.

Just sharing ideas - but I haven't tried to remove the dash yet. I guess I was hoping I could reach in there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Someone had brought up using a manual shift boot for cars in reverse (I'm truly sorry I can remember who to give the credit to and I looked hard to find your post) but that sounded like the best idea to me. I looked back there and I see no reason that won't fix it. That with some good automotive grade 3m double back would solve that I'm sure. Haven't spent much time looking but might be quicker to drop shift linkage to set something up in there. The 4x selector will be lots more difficult

Reactions: joeymt33
M

MackyD

Apr 3, 2016
S.W Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed last weekend while I was riding that I started to feel heat coming thru my gear shift area. I hadn't noticed it up until last weekend. The only thing that I had done was add a JBL-PRV175 to my dash. After I got back home I started nosing around under the hood and noticed a couple of things. First is that there is a rubber barrier that is supposed to keep heat from coming into your dash from the radiator area. On mine, it had come undone on the passenger side area and was hanging down. The only thing that holds it up is a slotted tab. I put it back on the tab and straightened it back out. The second thing I noticed wast there was in fact a rubber barrier installed on my gearshift. I had gotten it all out of whack while I was running the wiring to the stereo. I straightened it back out. After I did those 2 things I took her for a ride and feel any more of the heat coming thru the hole.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have hardly any heat coming from my dash openings, but I also haven't had it apart yet either.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't get any noticeable air movement through the openings in my dash.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
It must depend on what else you got.
I have hard top, glass windshield and hard mid-panel.
I get enough air coming thru the shifter that I'm gonna block it. Not a big problem but I think it should be easy enough to solve once I get around to it.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It must depend on what else you got.
I have hard top, glass windshield and hard mid-panel.
I get enough air coming thru the shifter that I'm gonna block it. Not a big problem but I think it should be easy enough to solve once I get around to it.

I stick a glove in the hole after I'm in gear and know I won't be shifting for a while.

It cut my dust in cab syndrome down by at least half or better.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I stick a glove in the hole after I'm in gear and know I won't be shifting for a while.

It cut my dust in cab syndrome down by at least half or better.
It looks like on mine I have no rubber that keeps the air from the radiator from conning thru. It is way more than the heater puts out

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It looks like on mine I have no rubber that keeps the air from the radiator from conning thru. It is way more than the heater puts out
I have the rubber on my shifter but it's totally trashed. They installed it wrong or something because it doesn't fit up tight to anything. I can look straight through the shifting well and see the ground. I am going to order some Universal boots off of Amazon and screw one on the inside of the dash for the gear selector. One on the outside for the 4 wheel drive selector. I'll post pics when they get here they're on the way.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Anyone pulled the dash yet? It looks like you'd have to tear the entire front end off to do it. I'm probably going to do it to solve the heat coming through the gear selector issue. I like the idea of the inverted shifter boot. I think it will work.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone pulled the dash yet? It looks like you'd have to tear the entire front end off to do it. I'm probably going to do it to solve the heat coming through the gear selector issue. I like the idea of the inverted shifter boot. I think it will work.
Do it and post the pics....:cool:

Reactions: russknight
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
8246C89B F54F 4909 B165 CD377D78CFB4
Yes, I have had all the plastic off from the front hood to the seat... not hard except getting the shifter levers off. I used a heat gun to heat the knobs and they slid off pretty easily.

The guide for installing the winch and controls has a step by step procedure if you need one.

P1k - WINCH MOUNT KIT 2017 - 08L73-HL4-F01 - Instructions

Also, buy yourself some new plastic clips and a tool from amazon... it will save you some effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Push-type-Fa...ement-Fastener/dp/B078B64QKN/?tag=sxsweb24-20

FredD

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
View attachment 125369
Yes, I have had all the plastic off from the front hood to the seat... not hard except getting the shifter levers off. I used a heat gun to heat the knobs and they slid off pretty easily.

The guide for installing the winch and controls has a step by step procedure if you need one.

P1k - WINCH MOUNT KIT 2017 - 08L73-HL4-F01 - Instructions

Also, buy yourself some new plastic clips and a tool from amazon... it will save you some effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Push-type-Fa...ement-Fastener/dp/B078B64QKN/?tag=sxsweb24-20

FredD

Thanks Fred, already have the clips on the way. Do you have any other photos ?

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Shifter1
Shifter2

Well, here's my solution to the hot air intrusion issue. Haven't ridden it yet, but I suspect it will work. Used stainless hardware with small fender washers on the backside. Countersunk the screw heads flush on the front.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!