Repo Talon...Blown Motor

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well guys, pardon the ignorance for buying such a project but I bought it sight unseen on an online auction as a repo unit with "Right rear damage", turns out they threw a couple handfuls of gravel over the hole in the crankcase, so that a fellow couldn't see the REAL damage, so long story short, its going to need to be rebuilt. I've never done any in-depth engine work (put lower gearing in my YXZ and some things like that but never engine work) but with a little common sense, and some oversight by my uncle @GPR1500SC we can get this ready to play. So this definitely will be an interesting project for me, probably plenty interesting... 😬

20230426 200709 20230426 200823 20230426 200932

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well guys, pardon the ignorance for buying such a project but I bought it sight unseen on an online auction as a repo unit with "Right rear damage", turns out they threw a couple handfuls of gravel over the hole in the crankcase, so that a fellow couldn't see the REAL damage, so long story short, its going to need to be rebuilt. I've never done any in-depth engine work (put lower gearing in my YXZ and some things like that but never engine work) but with a little common sense, and some oversight by my uncle @GPR1500SC we can get this ready to play. Although probably not in time for takeover! So this definitely will be an interesting project for me, probably plenty interesting... 😬

View attachment 386529 View attachment 386530 View attachment 386532
Nothing a little Flex Tape can't take care of 😉

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well guys, pardon the ignorance for buying such a project but I bought it sight unseen on an online auction as a repo unit with "Right rear damage", turns out they threw a couple handfuls of gravel over the hole in the crankcase, so that a fellow couldn't see the REAL damage, so long story short, its going to need to be rebuilt. I've never done any in-depth engine work (put lower gearing in my YXZ and some things like that but never engine work) but with a little common sense, and some oversight by my uncle @GPR1500SC we can get this ready to play. Although probably not in time for takeover! So this definitely will be an interesting project for me, probably plenty interesting... 😬

Seriously though, it'll be a good project for sure and if you got a good deal on it probly save thousands 🤷‍♂️

What does the "right rear damage" consist of?

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo

Looks like it threw a rod ?
Looks like it - in line with the cylinder (and crank) and the break is from the inside coming out?

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nothing a little Flex Tape can't take care of 😉

View attachment 386533
Ha ha, genius...and make sure I get clear so I can check oil at a glance! But anyhow, unfortunately it wont save as much as I was hoping, as everyone including me thought that the "damage' was simply a rear fender torn off and bid accordingly. The good thing is that its still a straight solid machine with a clean title, so rebuild the engine i should be good to go. 😏

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks like it threw a rod ?
Looks like it - in line with the cylinder (and crank) and the break is from the inside coming out?
Yeah definitely a rod, I haven't looked at it much yet but hoping they ingested water and didn't starve it for oil and destroy the crank but we will find out i suppose. At 1100 miles its definitely had something odd going on.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah definitely a rod, I haven't looked at it much yet but hoping they ingested water and didn't starve it for oil and destroy the crank but we will find out i suppose. At 1100 miles its definitely had something odd going on.
Crank can get messed up with water too. Looks like a pretty good project, your uncle is a very knowledgeable guy to lend a hand. Document the process it’ll be fun to watch

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
9K though...😬

And please don't use the term "Trans"..... it's offensive to our KRX and Yamaha members........
Stoped by the BS to pick up some Keystone light on the way home today, they only had 2 15 packs of Keystone, no 30 packs or 6 packs. They were fully stocked with Bush & Bud Light and hadn't been restocked since Sat. morning?????? Is the boycott working?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Stoped by the BS to pick up some Keystone light on the way home today, they only had 2 15 packs of Keystone, no 30 packs or 6 packs. They were fully stocked with Bush & Bud Light and hadn't been restocked since Sat. morning?????? Is the boycott working?
Classic

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
You big spender

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Is that what you used to hold that custom windshield in that talon last week?
Yes it was!! Still mounted that way....it actually feels permanent to me!! 🤣 Shoot, glad you brought that up though! I used it all and got to replenish it!!

Haven't you guys watched the commercials??? HELLO....I can even turn my Talon into a boat with flex seal....sheesh! 🤓 🤣 :p

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm still working through the thread, but Marine Tex might also be in your future - watch the grey and white colors.
StewB
PS: My heart's with you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!