Repo Talon...Blown Motor

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm still working through the thread, but Marine Tex might also be in your future - watch the grey and white colors.
StewB
PS: My heart's with you.
Well the way it broke away the starter mount and i don't have all the pieces, i reckon im probably down to simply shelling out the 1800 for new crank case.

H

HondaTech

Ok, whats the updated cases?? Well,see the pictures to know what i meant, when the rod came out the side it blew off some of the starter "bracket".

They added material to the engine case around the motor mounts due to cracking. They also added longer bolts with spacers on one side for some reason.

You can get the newer cases and not do the spacers, but id probably do both.

Here's the difference between the cases, thr top one is the updated version.
20210902 161458
20210902 161449

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They added material to the engine case around the motor mounts due to cracking. They also added longer bolts with spacers on one side for some reason.

You can get the newer cases and not do the spacers, but id probably do both.

Here's the difference between the cases, thr top one is the updated version. View attachment 386588perfectView attachment 386589
Gotcha! 👌

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I bought it sight unseen on an online auction as a repo unit with "Right rear damage", turns out they threw a couple handfuls of gravel over the hole in the crankcase, so that a fellow couldn't see the REAL damage
The seller hid the engine damage. I can see why it was a repo Talon. Parts and labor may cost $10,000. The seller should refund at least half of the payment.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well guys, pardon the ignorance for buying such a project but I bought it sight unseen on an online auction as a repo unit with "Right rear damage", turns out they threw a couple handfuls of gravel over the hole in the crankcase, so that a fellow couldn't see the REAL damage, so long story short, its going to need to be rebuilt. I've never done any in-depth engine work (put lower gearing in my YXZ and some things like that but never engine work) but with a little common sense, and some oversight by my uncle @GPR1500SC we can get this ready to play. Although probably not in time for takeover! So this definitely will be an interesting project for me, probably plenty interesting... 😬

View attachment 386529 View attachment 386530 View attachment 386532
You might be money and time ahead by just buying a full crate engine from Honda. Now that they have 3yrs worth sitting in shipping containers and no chassis to put them in should be easy to get ahold of.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The seller hid the engine damage. I can see why it was a repo Talon. Parts and labor may cost $10,000. The seller should refund at least half of the payment.
Those auctions don't refund, and they do almost zero assessment of damages to a machine.

Whoever blew it up just stopped making payments and let the bank have it because he couldn't afford to fix it.

RSX3

RSX3

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Those auctions don't refund, and they do almost zero assessment of damages to a machine.

Whoever blew it up just stopped making payments and let the bank have it because he couldn't afford to fix it.
EXACTLY, i would say thats what happened. I mean i realize that i was the one taking the chance on it but it still felt like a dishonest blow i wasn't planning on. But as for the people wondering what i gave for it, put it this way, if i would pay myself time for fixing i would have been better off buying a brand new unit in the perspective of money, and as for figuring in the PIA factor, by far shouldve went with a new unit, but i suppose they say you learn from experiences! :mad:🤬

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
EXACTLY, i would say thats what happened. I mean i realize that i was the one taking the chance on it but it still felt like a dishonest blow i wasn't planning on. But as for the people wondering what i gave for it, put it this way, if i would pay myself time for fixing i would have been better off buying a brand new unit in the perspective of money, and as for figuring in the PIA factor, by far shouldve went with a new unit, but i suppose they say you learn from experiences! :mad:🤬
That's a tough effin' lesson to learn. :(

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!