P500 Researching a P500. 2015 vs 2016 (or wait for 2017)?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Agreed. Tho, I would suspect most tip overs are from uneven terrain or slope, as opposed to fast driving. It's pretty flat around here where I ride in Mississippi. And I drive pretty slow. :)
to the bolded, that says it all.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This subject has been beaten to death !
We are talking about a single machine here ,that is 50" wide and weighs 1100#. you cannot compare it to any other machine except another 50" wide machine !!!
All machines are limited to what they are capable of , just don't go beyond them !!!
Adding spacers or greater offset wheels just allows you/me to go beyond the limits of a stock machine !
It's not dead yet, we'll continue to see this subject discussed as more and more people buy the P5 and join forums to discuss them. I'll agree with you that we have to know its limitations. I learned early on that I couldn't drive the P5 like I have taken for granted with my other SxS. I've driven other 50" machines, I find none that are butt clenching like the the P5. But I bought the P5 because I wanted the dependability of the Honda. In almost every other side by side comparison of 50" machines, the P5 is strides ahead of the rest. I love my P5 and intend to be using it far into the future. Pointing out the obvious on the P5 IS recognizing its limitations.

Reactions: Chooglin and SBuckJ
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
That's one thing I like about this forum compared to the RZR forum I belonged to. In order to improve a product sometimes you have to see it's limitations and downfalls....here we acknowledge what could be better (and many with the skills improve them) whereas on the RZR forums if you brought up an issue most everyone tried to defend the problem...of course here we don't need to defend as much :) I get grief from many who had (or still have) RZR's who wonder how I can go from that machine to this one...it IS realizing there are things I can't do with this that I could with the RZR (but only one or two) but I'm saving money on maintenance!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It's not dead yet, we'll continue to see this subject discussed as more and more people buy the P5 and join forums to discuss them. I'll agree with you that we have to know its limitations. I learned early on that I couldn't drive the P5 like I have taken for granted with my other SxS. I've driven other 50" machines, I find none that are butt clenching like the the P5. But I bought the P5 because I wanted the dependability of the Honda. In almost every other side by side comparison of 50" machines, the P5 is strides ahead of the rest. I love my P5 and intend to be using it far into the future. Pointing out the obvious on the P5 IS recognizing its limitations.

I bet yours is tippier than most monte, you took it up but didn't take it out. Not that the machine wasn't tippy out of the gate,
but I tried the 26's with no spacers, it was a pucker fest. Totally different experience with more stability. ;)
I wouldn't have an issue with higher side bars either way.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I bet yours is tippier than most monte, you took it up but didn't take it out. Not that the machine wasn't tippy out of the gate,
but I tried the 26's with no spacers, it was a pucker fest. Totally different experience with more stability. ;)
I wouldn't have an issue with higher side bars either way.
I did go out equal to up! I just didn't use offset wheels. Mines less tippy now with the sway bar detached than it was stock. I don't have an issue with higher side bars either. I did have an issue with Honda asking me to put their new sticker over the safety compliant one however.

Reactions: SBuckJ
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I did go out equal to up! I just didn't use offset wheels. Mines less tippy now with the sway bar detached than it was stock. I don't have an issue with higher side bars either. I did have an issue with Honda asking me to put their new sticker over the safety compliant one however.

You went out the extra width of the tire right?
I never got asked to cover any sticker?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You went out the extra width of the tire right?
I never got asked to cover any sticker?
Yes, I raised it an inch and went an inch wider on tires for balance. I'm surprised you didn't receive the "new" sticker along with Hondas request that you place it over their original safety compliance sticker??? The P5 was on the market perhaps a year when they did this. Must of been much feed back from the machines tippiness and flops.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If there is a problem with the p500 toppling over , it is because they are exceeding the limitations of the machine....PERIOD !!!!!!!!
Yep
know your machine
be honest with yourself
about your driving abilities

Reactions: Chooglin
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I raised it an inch and went an inch wider on tires for balance. I'm surprised you didn't receive the "new" sticker along with Hondas request that you place it over their original safety compliance sticker??? The P5 was on the market perhaps a year when they did this. Must of been much feed back from the machines tippiness and flops.

They probably knew I was putting spacers on mine. :D

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think that part of my sticker was covered when I got it. Interesting.
Yeah, I can see where you might get upset over that, after you bought it already.
Right! That's why I threw their mailed sticker away. They sold me a compliant machine. I do of course understand why they reneged on that.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
By the way...It looks like the 2017 is in compliance again, according to the sticker on the back of the ROPS.
Hon 1

Also I'm not sure if the ROPS on previous model years were actually ROPS as indicated on the sticker left side just rear of driver.
Hon 2

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Hi All,

I'm currently researching SxS options. I'm in Newfoundland, Eastern Canada & while we don't have trail width restrictions a 50"(ish) machine makes a lot of sense as we I do like to ride tighter trails & I'm guessing I can get a P500 and my Arctic Cat ATV to fit together on a trailer reasonably easily.

(Snip)Rockhopper

Hey Rockhopper: I might have missed it but what did you finally decide on? I'm on Vancouver Island; the opposite Coast, and went with the 2017. There were no 16s left when I bought.
Al

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!