P1000 Reverse light hookup?

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
I'm not around my Pioneer at the moment, but I had intended on installing some reverse lights. Does anyone know off hand what I can tap into so I get power to the lights when in reverse? Looking for wiring diagrams now. Thanks.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Here is what I did with my 700. The 1000 will probably be different but at least should give you some ideas.

I mounted two 18 watt LEDs to the rear bumper. I wanted them to only come on if I had the headlights on, and in reverse.

I started by taking the source voltage ( hot ) from the left rear tail light, and connected the ground to the wire coming from the gear selector switch. Every time you shift to reverse, the gear selector switch grounds the circuit and turns the lights on.

Not sure if the 1000 uses a similar gear selection switch, but this should give you something to think about.

Good luck

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Heres what I did on my 700, I bought a mechanical limit switch and mounted it up under the dash near the shifting mechanism. When you put the gear selector in reverse in hits the switch and turns on the lites. My reverse lights are also wired to a 3 position switch on the dash, with the switch in the up position the reverse lites will be on, middle position is completely off and down position they will come on in reverse only. Having the ability to have them on without being in reverse is really handy. I don't have any pics of the switch installed (i'll get some when I put power steering in) but this is what I used

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MLYRHG8?tag=sxsweb24-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: PineTree and TheBob
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm not around my Pioneer at the moment, but I had intended on installing some reverse lights. Does anyone know off hand what I can tap into so I get power to the lights when in reverse? Looking for wiring diagrams now. Thanks.
Find the sub transmission gear position switch wires under your seat.
5 wires - White, Light Blue, Light Green, Gray, and Blue-Red.
They are all ground triggers.
Gray is the reverse ground trigger.
Tap this and use it as your trigger for a relay.
Then... Lights will come on when in reverse.
Run it through a switch if you like for the daytime.
0r.. For small power draw lights. @Springer's method will work just the same.

1447947503357 1

Last edited:
Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
I got em installed tonight. Thanks to @Springer and @Hondasxs. I ran two 9w eagle eye LEDs mounted on the corners of the bed. They fire off perfectly when put in reverse.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Gray is the reverse ground trigger.
The ground trigger concept is new to me. I read something about it somewhere else on this forum and I think I got it but still a bit confused.
Can someone confirm:
- the pioneer electrical system uses mostly a positive trigger system.
- some circuits use negative trigger (like the gear position switch)
- all of our add-on's will use positive trigger

I'm about to start wiring my accessories - hopefully I don't need to re-learn what I thought was common sense.

advertisement
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
When using the ground as a trigger (say on a back up light), you would supply the light itself with a constant positive and "switch"the ground. All your light needs is a complete path from positive thru the light to ground, all you need to do is open either side of the circuit to turn the light off.The pos. side would be a pos trigger, the neg. side would be a neg trigger.

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
@HondaProKevin just posted up a factory harness option to power reverse lights as well...I would have probably gone that route instead of tapping into my sub trans harness.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
@HondaProKevin just posted up a factory harness option to power reverse lights as well...I would have probably gone that route instead of tapping into my sub trans harness.
I would like to see that. Would you mind posting a link to it?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I'm at the point of now installing my back up lights. The wiring harness is huge, hate to tie wrap that mass along the ROPS, will be giving that some greater thought today. May go the route described to minimize some wiring. Is the tail lights wiring heavy enough to carry the load of two additional lights? That would be my greatest concern.

Did some research, the draw for the two lights is only 1.45 amps. Feeling better about the option. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Last edited by a moderator:
rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

does anyone have the part number to this factory harness? If I can tap into it, i'd rather go that route. Thanks!

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We often ride at night so back up lights and cab lights are important. I just used some white LED strip lights on the roll bars and blue ones inside the roof. I wired the reverse lights separately so they can double as turn signals.