Talon Ride quality 1000R

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Surely the ride is squirrely as all get out at speed on a trail with the rear stab disconnected???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
Does anyone think the slow speed ride quality on the 1000R sucks? I sold my Rhino with I Shock mid travel suspension and shocks in December. It rode like a Cadillac going slow or fast. I would never even foam up your beer. I have not had the Talon out to much the suspension hard yet but the slow speed to me is rough. I have the shocks set on the softest setting and it is choppy. Maybe the shocks just need to be broken in? I was just curious what other people think?
I run the shocks on my R set at 1 on all four corners. Tires 8-9 psi (9 front, 8 rear). It could be a little smoother at low speeds but got better after break in. Feels great with aggressive riding, which is my intentions.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The X has a Tender top spring and not considered a dual rate. It is there to get the ride height correct per honda specs with a too heavy of a rate lower spring. Generally tender springs are coil bound at ride height. If it didn't have the low rate spring up top, to get the same ride height, the lower spring would be bouncing around loose at full droop. The X could use a dual rate setup with all new springs or maybe lower rate lower springs for slower speed stuff. The R crossovers looked liked they need to be ran all the way up against the preload nuts for a better ride in the slow stuff. Minimal preload will help on both also for the slow riding. Jack it all the way up to full droop, back off the top nuts all the way till the spring is loose and tighten them till you compress the spring about a 1/4". Honda tends to spring everything for max payload capacity. Removing the rear swaybar tends to make a pretty big difference in ride quality for slow speed stuff but will probably suck high speed.
This is a really stupid question, but do the X and R have fully floating A arms unlike the Pioneer's P1's stock A arm's? Seems like Honda cheeped out on the shocks on the X and the springs on both the X and R. What ever happened to progressive wound springs? Issue with tender springs is your ride height may be off while setting your spring attitude on your main spring, then you get your main spring set how you like it and adjust your tender spring and it throws your main spring outa whack, I understand how the tender spring is supposed to work to set ride hight, but it's just that much less spring the shock has to work with. Just fodder on my account, I won't be purchasing until the 2021's come out, just took our 16 P1 in last week for the last update, I'm sick of updates. You guy's get it all figured out on the Talon's please! HA!

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
did you get a chance to do pictures of crossover setting? Thanks
I took one last night. Not the best picture but it looks like they are about 1/2 inch from the top with no signs of coil bind.
A9G1468oT6uepz24nwmttg

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
so you are moving the ring up to 1/2" gap between flanges BUT not changing the overall length of both springs. Since this basically adds to preload on tender But softens load on Main Spring, does ride height go down?

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
so you are moving the ring up to 1/2" gap between flanges BUT not changing the overall length of both springs. Since this basically adds to preload on tender But softens load on Main Spring, does ride height go down?
Ride height does not change. The ride height changes with the pre load. The ride is defiantly smoother on slow choppy surfaces. If I was running the sand dunes I would put it back to the original 1 1/2" from the top.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I took one last night. Not the best picture but it looks like they are about 1/2 inch from the top with no signs of coil bind.
View attachment 133609
You should be way past coil bind the front spring is 5.9" and the rear is 6.9". Just measure and add up all the coils, they are at least 1/2 of the length. Both springs compress all the time until the crossover contacts and then just the lower. The only way you can tell when they coil bound is to see wear on the paint. Maybe you have not hit any bumps that have been big enough. One way to tell I would think would be to wrap tape around a coil thick enough to be able to see contact.
Here is a good article on how dual rate springs work.
The Truth about Dual Rate Springs

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does anyone think the slow speed ride quality on the 1000R sucks? I sold my Rhino with I Shock mid travel suspension and shocks in December. It rode like a Cadillac going slow or fast. I would never even foam up your beer. I have not had the Talon out to much the suspension hard yet but the slow speed to me is rough. I have the shocks set on the softest setting and it is choppy. Maybe the shocks just need to be broken in? I was just curious what other people think?

Early adopters always get screwed. If you waited a little longer. Coming to a Talon near you...
19 Honda Talon 1000X 4 FOX Live Valve body off 41 683x1024
Terba

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Early adopters always get screwed. If you waited a little longer. Coming to a Talon near you...

As an earlier adopter I have no regrets.

I'd be interested in the live valve, but on a 2 seater which is probably another year away. I have no interest in a Turbo and besides it is an add on, anyone can add to current machine. Appears to be no plans to come from factory that way. I doubt the live valve will be able to be added but maybe..... Suspension on my X is about the only thing I am not completely satisfied with, I feel like it could and should be smoother at lower speeds.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I'd be interested in the live valve, but on a 2 seater which is probably another year away. I have no interest in a Turbo and besides it is an add on, anyone can add to current machine. Appears to be no plans to come from factory that way. I doubt the live valve will be able to be added but maybe..... Suspension on my X is about the only thing I am not completely satisfied with, I feel like it could and should be smoother at lower speeds.

Pretty sure there will be a live valve 2 seat Edition announced later, but they are still filling 2019 dealer orders, makes sense not to kill that until last minute. I suspect dealer redline in September will announce additional versions of the 2 seat Talons.

Reactions: Ragnar406
C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X

I too have no regerts.. I love my Talon.. when I feel it starts to slow down, I'll opt for the Terbis...I'm thinking the same as you, slower speeds are rough.. but overall its a great machine.

Reactions: JimmyTalon
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Spring changes will be offered by various vendors. Eibach, others will step up. Hopefully the 2020 talons will have same problem. More units in the field, more attention we'll get from aftermarket. Actually in my experience, it's normal to get a utv which is sprung incorrectly from oem. If there is one which is sprung correctly, it must be can am, cause that's the only brand I haven't owned.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!