BOX1

Riding in Quartzsite, Arizona

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm going riding in Quartzsite, Arizona next week I've heard that some areas are on the Colorado River Indian reservation. And riding there requires a permit from somewhere in Parker, Az. I can't find any information about this. Has anyone ridden there, or know anything about the area or permits?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going riding in Quartzsite, Arizona next week I've heard that some areas are on the Colorado River Indian reservation. And riding there requires a permit from somewhere in Parker, Az. I can't find any information about this. Has anyone ridden there, or know anything about the area or permits?
@DG Rider @PJon

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Starting 3/20 they are going to start 20 days of water release from Alamo lake, which will cause them to close the Planet Ranch gate. All trails from below the Alamo Lake drainage basin will not be accessible from above the basin, and visa versa, due to high water. You will be able to ride below or above the drainage basin and the only way to get from one side to the other will require 50 miles of highway driving (see AZPT Facebook site for more info on this, Arizona Peace Trail)

I was going to ride the AZPT next week but cancelled due to the trail closures. From my planning I did find out that I needed an License Plate, an Arizona OHV permit and a State Trust Land Permit.

Reactions: Rayger143
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@DG Rider @PJon
Sorry, I’ve never been over there. My best guess Would be to try their tribal police station. A sheriffs office in Parker should be able to give you they’re location.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting 3/20 they are going to start 20 days of water release from Alamo lake, which will cause them to close the Planet Ranch gate. All trails from below the Alamo Lake drainage basin will not be accessible from above the basin, and visa versa, due to high water. You will be able to ride below or above the drainage basin and the only way to get from one side to the other will require 50 miles of highway driving (see AZPT Facebook site for more info on this, Arizona Peace Trail)

I was going to ride the AZPT next week but cancelled due to the trail closures. From my planning I did find out that I needed a License Plate, an Arizona OHV permit and a State Trust Land Permit.
I thought all of those items were discussed in last Octobers AZPT planning thread.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry, I’ve never been over there. My best guess Would be to try their tribal police station. A sheriffs office in Parker should be able to give you they’re location.
One of our group is waiting for a return call for information. I can't even find a good map outlining their property. Sure wish there was an open office closer to the property. Or even an online site to purchase permits.

S

SuzziS

Dec 14, 2019
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There is very little Colorado River Indian Territory (CRIT) land around Quartzsite. A small area on the Good, Bad and Ugly trail. Most trails around there a CRIT permit is not needed. Lots of trails in the area and to the east, around Brenda, AZ. I assume you are out of state, so you will need an out of state permit you get online.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just rode over 1000 miles around Quartzsite last week. The closed Indian land is in the upper left quadrant of the photo (no blue tracks), north and to the east of Morgantown on hwy 10 (light green color). Everything else was open and not posted. Internet is too slow here (Temple Bar Marina, Lake Mead), can’t upload the photo but it’s posted in Shots From the Trail, post #2436. The 3 red uppermost left pins are where the Indian land is posted (To the left/west of those pins).

I don’t know anything about the Alamo Lake drainage basin and those closures.

Download the GAIA GPS app, the basic version is free. There’s a vertical line running north from hwy 10, east of Morgantown - to the west of that line is Indian land and posted. That line doesn’t show in my screenshot because I’m zoomed out too far.

S

SuzziS

Dec 14, 2019
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just rode over 1000 miles around Quartzsite last week. The closed Indian land is in the upper left quadrant of the photo (no blue tracks), north and to the east of Morgantown on hwy 10 (light green color). Everything else was open and not posted. Internet is too slow here (Temple Bar Marina, Lake Mead), can’t upload the photo but it’s posted in Shots From the Trail, post #2436. The 3 red uppermost left pins are where the Indian land is posted (To the left/west of those pins).

Download the GAIA GPS app, the basic version is free. There’s a vertical line running north from hwy 10, east of Morgantown - to the west of that line is Indian land and posted. That line doesn’t show in my screenshot because I’m zoomed out too far.
Yes, on GAIA the pale yellow colored area west of Quartzsite along the Colorado River, is CRIT land. It's also shown on Avenza maps on the Arizona Peace Trail map (map not free).

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is very little Colorado River Indian Territory (CRIT) land around Quartzsite. A small area on the Good, Bad and Ugly trail. Most trails around there a CRIT permit is not needed. Lots of trails in the area and to the east, around Brenda, AZ. I assume you are out of state, so you will need an out of state permit you get online.
I winter in Surprise, AZ and I'm licensed here also. Just can't find a map where a permit is needed.

Reactions: Smitty335
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R

Thanks CID. Did you get a permit for where you rode? And if so, where was it required? Did you need to go to Parker to get a permit?

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I minute after posting here, I got this message from our lead rider:

We have been struggling with how to avoid needing a CRIT permit (riding on indian reserve). The permit is $30 and is purchased in person at 2100 Mutahar St, Parker. They are open 8-11 & 1-4p M-F. They accept $$ or CC. That said, there are a variety of trails that cross into the reservation. Without a permit, we would need to stop and turn around OR: (quote) "You will be on the reservation of the Colorado River Indian Tribe (CRIT) and you WILL NEED a CRIT sticker. They're $30/year, and allow access to all the trails on the CRIT. They're available for purchase in Parker, AZ, at the CRIT office. Riding on the reservation without the sticker can result in the tribe confiscating your machine for keeps. Not worth the risk. This (the Painted Mountain trail) is a 76-mile loop taking you 3000 feet above the valley floor, with detours into several canyons and to play on the sand hill climb." I doubt that confiscation is covered by insurance 😉... So, we can decide if we want to avoid CRIT and ride e/o 95 all the time or purchase a permit.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
…. Just can't find a map where a permit is needed.
Left (west) of the red line and north of hwy 10. There were signs clearly posted but two of them were missing, since I had seen the first one, I knew what the posts were there for.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks CID. Did you get a permit for where you rode? And if so, where was it required? Did you need to go to Parker to get a permit?
Doogle - I did not have a permit but only saws signs (or blank posts) along the red line I drew above. I rode all of the blue tracks and never crossed into CRIT land as far as I know. A lot of my riding was west of hwy 95 as you can see in the GAIA screenshot.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Doogle - I did not have a permit but only saws signs (or blank posts) along the red line I drew above. I rode all of the blue tracks and never crossed into CRIT land as far as I know. A lot of my riding was west of hwy 95 as you can see in the GAIA screenshot.
Thanks again CID

Reactions: Rayger143 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks again CID
To clarify - if you want to ride from Quartzsite to Morgantown, on the north side of hwy 10, you’ll need permits to go west of the ride line. I saw no signs on the south side of hwy 10 anywhere, including west of hwy 95. I also rode what I believe is called the Good, Bad and Ugly section of the AZPT, both directions and saw no signs there either.

If you ride that section going east to west, pay attention - it looks like the trail stays in the creek bed but there’s a bypass going straight across the creek and up the far bank. You’ll know if you see a tree branch lying in the creek bed as you try to turn left, go straight across and up the bank. There are two routes that stay in the creek and they’re both really ugly IMO (Walked and looked before I saw the trail going up the bank). Going up stream (west to east) is more clear and hard to miss the bypass. Some have stayed in the creek and left broken parts to prove it. :oops:

Last edited:
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
To clarify - if you want to ride from Quartzsite to Morgantown, on the north side of hwy 10, you’ll need permits to go west of the ride line. I saw no signs on the south side of hwy 10 anywhere, including west of hwy 95. I also rode what I believe is called the Good, Bad and Ugly section of the AZPT, both directions and saw no signs there either.

If you ride that section going east to west, pay attention - it looks like the trail stays in the creek bed but there’s a bypass going straight across the creek and up the far bank. You’ll know if you see a tree branch lying in the creek bed as you try to turn left, go straight across and up the bank. There are two routes that stay in the creek and they’re both really ugly IMO (Walked and looked before I saw the trail going up the bank). Going up stream (west to east) is more clear and hard to miss the bypass. Some have stayed in the creek and left broken parts to prove it. :oops:
We will be there tomorrow-Thursday. With your 1000 mile week there, maybe you could suggest some better places to ride. Most of us like challenging areas, without broken parts. The wives tend to scream at us sometimes.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!