Road Legal Michgan, 2019, HB 5639

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grace performance in Wadhams is another dealer to try. I'm thinking I will try them if need service. Lapeer was only dealer that would talk with me online. Was cheaper to buy it there also.

Reactions: Todd627
D

Deleted member 3748

All- I want this to be the Thread that helps Fellow Riders in Michigan to get their VIN number and be Finally street legal.

So Lets get this Started

The New Law that Governor Snyder signed into Law is HB 5639, Print a copy and Hang onto it. I will upload the one that Snyder signed once its online. but for now use this one.

Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy

password >> hondasxs

There is roughly 17 items on the check list to make this happen.

I will be trying to get MY 1000-5 LE through the process. IMOP the Honda is the only SXS that will pass the inspection because of (r) Differential Gear, Don't think there is another SXS that actually have this .

Please feel free to chime in if your in other states and have any tips of tricks
I didn't think they meant a limited slip differential, just not a chain and sprocket with a solid axle... like a quad. Which Pioneers have high and low beam headlights?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hopefully that $800 - $1,500 listed in the article was including all of the mods needed to make it street legal and not the registration fees only o_O
No, not according to my cousin. When I asked him after he sent me the video, he said that’s what it will be to just title it. Harnesses will be fine also. He also said he didn’t feel the need to plate it, cuz at least where he is you can ride on the shoulder/edge of the road all over and as long as people are just using common judgement and not driving like an idiot or going like a bat out of hell, he nor his other deputy’s or the DNR in there area won’t bother you. But again that’s there area and department. The serriff in my co that frequents the trails basically said the same thing to us last year. That said, I do see a reason in some cases to plate it at witch I’m interested. But I’m not happy of the cost the government wants to do that for. If they made it a permanent plate like Old Molehorn (Grandholm’s real MARRIED name) did with the trailers I’d be all over that.

Reactions: utvmi and Todd627
utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, not according to my cousin. When I asked him after he sent me the video, he said that’s what it will be to just title it. Harnesses will be fine also. He also said he didn’t feel the need to plate it, cuz at least where he is you can ride on the shoulder/edge of the road all over and as long as people are just using common judgement and not driving like an idiot or going like a bat out of hell, he nor his other deputy’s or the DNR in there area won’t bother you. But again that’s there area and department. The serriff in my co that frequents the trails basically said the same thing to us last year. That said, I do see a reason in some cases to plate it at witch I’m interested. But I’m not happy of the cost the government wants to do that for. If they made it a permanent plate like Old Molehorn (Grandholm’s real MARRIED name) did with the trailers I’d be all over that.
Yeah- That whole riding on the shoulder down here is a Joke 25 MPH, no M roads, no Towns, Or Villages etc. All our seasonal roads are all NO ORV now, only Road Legal Vehicles, So all the people with Grand Fathered in SXS were able to ride and we all got tickets.
Road Legal all the way for me down here !!

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of the turn signal kits on order and hope to get it next week, I will report back when installed.
I order this kit,
Honda Pioneer 700/1000 Plug & Play™ Turn Signal System with Horn - TSS-HON1000

Upload 2019 1 5 12 0 29

Reactions: Todd627
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I hope they take away the safety glass windshield requirement too. You should just need eye protection like on a motorcycle.
Not gona happen unfortunately. Rocky said it’s a state law to have one in a vehicle that someone is sitting in with a fixed seat not designated as a motorcycle. He has to Check golf carts all the time for park use were a safety glass is required and they Dont pass for that reason. Says that law will not change. He also said to be thankful they don’t make us ware helmets when there plated

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not gona happen unfortunately. Rocky said it’s a state law to have one in a vehicle that someone is sitting in with a fixed seat not designated as a motorcycle. He has to Check golf carts all the time for park use were a safety glass is required and they Dont pass for that reason. Says that law will not change. He also said to be thankful they don’t make us ware helmets when there plated

Now were going to get Fix It Tickets for chipped windshields:D ...

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now were going to get Fix It Tickets for chipped windshields:D ...
Funny u asked that cuz I harassed him about that too lol. My guess is just chipped windshields. I don’t think they’ll bug us for that. He said, it’s too much hassle to pester us for that. :)

Reactions: Todd627 and utvmi
T

Trick

Jan 16, 2019
Waterford, MI
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey guys, new new member and a Rzr rider. Honda at heart but they didn't have a sxs, and much less a rock climber machine like I got 2yrs ago, so polaris it is. But anyways....

This forum is where I 1st got details about the MI street legal.

Had the police over at my house today! :eek: Filled out the TR-54, signed it and gave me the all clear. He was super cool and gave me zero issues.

The issue I am having now is insurance. I called Farm Bureau, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate. All said they do not cover the machine for on road use. How and where do we insure these?!

Granted, the law is 20 days old and not even valid for 70 more days, maybe these insurance companies need that amount of time before they start insuring, idk.

Reactions: Remington and utvmi
utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, new new member and a Rzr rider. Honda at heart but they didn't have a sxs, and much less a rock climber machine like I got 2yrs ago, so polaris it is. But anyways....

This forum is where I 1st got details about the MI street legal.

Had the police over at my house today! :eek: Filled out the TR-54, signed it and gave me the all clear. He was super cool and gave me zero issues.

The issue I am having now is insurance. I called Farm Bureau, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate. All said they do not cover the machine for on road use. How and where do we insure these?!

Granted, the law is 20 days old and not even valid for 70 more days, maybe these insurance companies need that amount of time before they start insuring, idk.
So what TR-54 did you use, b/c the old one say No ORVS on it, ? I was was assuming that the SOS was going to put out a new updated forum, Don't want you to walk in April 1st and they reject it b/c you used an old Forum.

State Farm will Insure the SXS now and once you get the new title that say its Assembled road legal, I have insurance on it now threw State Farm and once its re-titles as road legal assembled title it will have a regular policy like a Dune Buggy for on the road use.

make sense ?

Reactions: Blownzuki
T

Trick

Jan 16, 2019
Waterford, MI
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Yup that is the form I used. Possibly jumped the gun, but wanted to see how this worked and if I was going to get hassled.

You probably have the same insurance I do, which is for off road use.

Now I thought, we needed insurance before we went to SOS?

So what we take the updated and filled out TR-54 to SOS, get a Assembled title, then get insurance and then go back to SOS?

Reactions: utvmi

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!