P1000 Roof Alternatives

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having a hard time spending $600 plus shipping for a premade roof of sheetmetal or plastic so I've been thinking about making a roof out of plywood. I thought about making my own sheet metal roof but metal isn't readily available in my area so there's a good chance it's gonna have to be wood. One of the benefits to a wood roof is it's cheaper than a ready-made roof, it's heavier duty, and I can possibly mount a roof rack to it without extra bracing. Does anyone have thoughts to this, already did it, pros/cons... I've got a net sunshade on it now but I want something that's better for monsoon season coming up and blocks the sun a touch more.

Reactions: Dsprigg and Lady01
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm having a hard time spending $600 plus shipping for a premade roof of sheetmetal or plastic so I've been thinking about making a roof out of plywood. I thought about making my own sheet metal roof but metal isn't readily available in my area so there's a good chance it's gonna have to be wood. One of the benefits to a wood roof is it's cheaper than a ready-made roof, it's heavier duty, and I can possibly mount a roof rack to it without extra bracing. Does anyone have thoughts to this, already did it, pros/cons... I've got a net sunshade on it now but I want something that's better for monsoon season coming up and blocks the sun a touch more.
What machine?

I'm sure you can do it......over time you'll have to re-do it cause it's plywood (delimitation) even if you seal it. As far as heavier duty? Meh.......the OEM plastic roofs take a beating and a half, they work great. All depends on your needs and riding areas.

But to more specifically answer the question, YES it'll work just as well probably. When I was young(er), dumb(er), broke(er) 😂 I made a bed cover for my truck out of marine grade 3/4" ply (free to me) sealed it and it lasted a good year or so out in the elements 100% of the time....

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What machine?

I'm sure you can do it......over time you'll have to re-do it cause it's plywood (delimitation) even if you seal it. As far as heavier duty? Meh.......the OEM plastic roofs take a beating and a half, they work great. All depends on your needs and riding areas.

But to more specifically answer the question, YES it'll work just as well probably. When I was young(er), dumb(er), broke(er) 😂 I made a bed cover for my truck out of marine grade 3/4" ply (free to me) sealed it and it lasted a good year or so out in the elements 100% of the time....
The machine is a 1000-5. The plastic roofs cost more than the sheet metal counterparts after doing some research. When I bought it the sales guy was telling me a honda roof was around $800. I balked and said to hell with that, I'll put a sheet of plywood on it. I didn't think I was that serious at the time, I figured I would just buy an aftermarket roof. Wrong.
In my younger days I would have broke down some pallets and made it out of that, lol.
In my area I don't have a lot of trees and stuff to worry about, it's mostly juniper trees and open land. Kind of a shame really, I really wanted an excuse to get a brushguard bumper like the ones in that bumper thread, I just can't justify it at the moment and my wife and buddy would kill me if I did.
I thought about using a spar urethane to coat it, then maybe put a coat of paint over it so it's not so obvious. The sun really beats the hell out of things here so it's kinda iffy, I don't know.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Post #8 was our first roof before we bought the Honda OE roof. It worked well and is removable and required no fabrication skills.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have a Menards but I get your meaning. I never thought about plastic sheet panels before, thanks! I do like that idea better than the plywood, I'm going to have to check and see if my local depot or lowes has it. Kinda sucks I'm going to have to buy two sheets of it though, if I can find it that is.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Post #8 was our first roof before we bought the Honda OE roof. It worked well and is removable and required no fabrication skills.
I've got a mesh net on it now, it does alright so far, but we are still getting snow and monsoon season starts in about June. I do love the temporary tarp though. 👍

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The closest thing I've been able for find is black acrylic sheeting which is about an 1/8" thick for $154 a sheet and depot has to order it.

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The closest thing I've been able for find is black acrylic sheeting which is about an 1/8" thick for $154 a sheet and depot has to order it.
I don't think acrylic sheet would be suitable. Cracks easily, not impact resistant (think Plexiglas) and can make sharp shards when it breaks. As suggested, HDPE would be a much better choice.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think acrylic sheet would be suitable. Cracks easily, not impact resistant (think Plexiglas) and can make sharp shards when it breaks. As suggested, HDPE would be a much better choice.
I agree with you whole heartily, it's just finding it...

Reactions: JenElio
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about FRP wall panel board? The description says it's supposed to be tough, though it is a little thin. And it's $38 for a 4x8 sheet. 😁 I can't find anyone near me that has HDPE sheets.

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What about FRP wall panel board? The description says it's supposed to be tough, though it is a little thin. And it's $38 for a 4x8 sheet. 😁 I can't find anyone near me that has HDPE sheets.
I wouldn't just do the FRP alone, maybe lay it on some 1/2" ply at least. FRP by itself might be really flappy

Reactions: Kal
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Roof Alternatives" being the original question posed in this thread:

94 bucks'll get you 68 inches of convertible comfort and convenience.

14005 600 221 68 THE 68 GOLF UMBRELLA 02

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't just do the FRP alone, maybe lay it on some 1/2" ply at least. FRP by itself might be really flappy
Good point. That's a good idea, lay down plywood, seal it, then that stuff on top of it like a barrier.

I did look into on-line vendors for the HDPE sheets and I found some, problem was the shipping was so high I might as well buy a real roof. :mad: I did find a used Honda roof on ebay but they want $900 for it.....for a used roof....:oops:

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Good point. That's a good idea, lay down plywood, seal it, then that stuff on top of it like a barrier.

I did look into on-line vendors for the HDPE sheets and I found some, problem was the shipping was so high I might as well buy a real roof. :mad: I did find a used Honda roof on ebay but they want $900 for it.....for a used roof....:oops:
If you're thinking of the FRP route, I'd stop by a commercial job site maybe and ask if they have any FRP glue left over and trowel it on. No need to seal the ply then 🤷‍♂️

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!