P1000 Roof Alternatives

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did see this for $60 this morning on Amazon.

https://amazon.com/dp/B08L7LC86J?tag=sxsweb24-20

I am not sure how well it would work.
The cheapest roof I think I saw was a tusk aluminum on ebay for $580 shipped.

Reactions: JenElio
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I dunno…the oem roof is pretty darn indestructible other than water pooling. It’s also easy to take on and off.

It doesn’t rattle like metal can, and won’t kink or split like wood or metal will.

At the end of the day, the OEM is way cheaper than changing your cheapo roof a second time.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dunno…the oem roof is pretty darn indestructible other than water pooling. It’s also easy to take on and off.

It doesn’t rattle like metal can, and won’t kink or split like wood or metal will.

At the end of the day, the OEM is way cheaper than changing your cheapo roof a second time.
I don't know about that. Yes, you have some valid points, but the last time I checked on the oem roof at the dealership it was $800 and they couldn't lock down the price because it was steadily rising. I could make a plywood roof for let's say $200, have it last 2 years, and do it again 3 more times and it would be the cost of the oem roof and I would be 8 years in. By then or more likely way sooner I could make a steel roof or buy a more reasonably priced roof if we ever come out of this inflation.

Reactions: JenElio
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You can't beat the OEM roof for durability, ease of installation, coverage, compatibility with other accessories and weight savings. Perhaps you spend as little as possible for now (e.g., the Kemimoto soft top that @Robobrainiac linked to above) and just start saving nickels and dimes for a future purchase of the Honda roof.

Not sure when you bought your machine, but my dealer extended a 15% discount on any Honda accessories purchased through them. I was able to grab the OEM roof just a few months back for $466.00 plus sales tax (that was the discounted price, and that was also right before a price increase from Honda).

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can't beat the OEM roof for durability, ease of installation, coverage, compatibility with other accessories and weight savings. Perhaps you spend as little as possible for now (e.g., the Kemimoto soft top that @Robobrainiac linked to above) and just start saving nickels and dimes for a future purchase of the Honda roof.

Not sure when you bought your machine, but my dealer extended a 15% discount on any Honda accessories purchased through them. I was able to grab the OEM roof just a few months back for $466.00 plus sales tax (that was the discounted price, and that was also right before a price increase from Honda).
My dealer didn't offer me anything as far as discounted accessories pricing. Hell, they didn't even negotiate on the price of the pioneer. They weren't even sure they could get a roof in as they were so backordered. If I could have bought an oem roof at the price you did I would have done it at the time. As for when I bought it, it must have been 2 weeks ago.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My dealer didn't offer me anything as far as discounted accessories pricing. Hell, they didn't even negotiate on the price of the pioneer. They weren't even sure they could get a roof in as they were so backordered. If I could have bought an oem roof at the price you did I would have done it at the time. As for when I bought it, it must have been 2 weeks ago.
Yikes. Sounds like a dealership I would refrain from doing business with again. I paid MSRP for the bike ($19,099 for the Phantom Camo Deluxe) but didn't pay a dime extra for freight/delivery, dealer prep/assembly or doc fees.

I got my '21 P1K5 back at the end of October. They had a roof in stock. Got that and the underdash storage tray (that comes with the LE/SE) and both were 15% off.

Fast forward to ~2 weeks ago. Same dealer had a red '21 show up that was not spoken for. My best friend jumped on it. He had them order the same roof and underdash storage tray. Got the same 15% discount, but there was a price increase since I got mine.

Anyway, it only took our dealer ~5 days to get the OEM roof from Honda, so I can't imagine why your dealer would tell you they are having a difficult time (a regional thing?).

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yikes. Sounds like a dealership I would refrain from doing business with again. I paid MSRP for the bike ($19,099 for the Phantom Camo Deluxe) but didn't pay a dime extra for freight/delivery, dealer prep/assembly or doc fees.

I got my '21 P1K5 back at the end of October. They had a roof in stock. Got that and the underdash storage tray (that comes with the LE/SE) and both were 15% off.

Fast forward to ~2 weeks ago. Same dealer had a red '21 show up that was not spoken for. My best friend jumped on it. He had them order the same roof and underdash storage tray. Got the same 15% discount, but there was a price increase since I got mine.

Anyway, it only took our dealer ~5 days to get the OEM roof from Honda, so I can't imagine why your dealer would tell you they are having a difficult time (a regional thing?).
It might be a regional thing. My buddy used to work in the parts department, now he's the "toy tech" for the dealership. He was telling me, actually the day I bought it, they couldn't find the roofs or windshields anywhere within their network, 1000 pioneers either for that matter. When I was looking at pioneers I was looking for a 3 seater for working on the property, dealership didn't have one. After I left my buddy unbeknownst to me started making inquiries on 1000 pioneer availability and it turned out they were the only dealership around that had a couple of 1000's, both were 1000-5 deluxes hence why they wouldn't negotiate on the price, and if I remember correctly about $21k a piece. Even before buying the 1000-5 I rarely went into the dealership for anything, and now I really don't want to go in there because the cheap bastards didn't even give me a discount...

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My buddy ... was telling me, actually the day I bought it, they couldn't find the roofs or windshields anywhere within their network
One would think if another Honda dealership could order one and get it in ~5 days, any of them could. But ... I'm not part of the Honda supply chain, so ...

1000 pioneers either for that matter.

Those have been that was for well over a year, I'd say. The few that I was able to find that didn't already have a deposit on them were for units that had literally arrived within the last ~24-48 business hours. I spent an hour a day (each morning) calling dealerships across the nation. Likely spoke to someone at at least 50-60 or more of them. I have no idea how I lucked into the exact machine I wanted (Deluxe Camo) that was only ~1 hour away.

Even before buying the 1000-5 I rarely went into the dealership for anything, and now I really don't want to go in there because the cheap bastards didn't even give me a discount...
I would never expect a discount on a Pioneer in the current climate. These dealerships can barely get their hands on the ones people has had deposits on for upwards of a year. It's truly a supply and demand issue. The dealerships that I *WOULD* take issue with would be those that hiked the prices up by thousands of dollars and/or those that added a bunch of overpriced accessories just to get you to pay $28K for a $20K machine with $3K of accessories.

If you were closer to me, I'd ask my dealer if he could sell me a roof @ discount for you ... but the trip from MI to AZ would likely be a deal breaker.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One would think if another Honda dealership could order one and get it in ~5 days, any of them could. But ... I'm not part of the Honda supply chain, so ...

Those have been that was for well over a year, I'd say. The few that I was able to find that didn't already have a deposit on them were for units that had literally arrived within the last ~24-48 business hours. I spent an hour a day (each morning) calling dealerships across the nation. Likely spoke to someone at at least 50-60 or more of them. I have no idea how I lucked into the exact machine I wanted (Deluxe Camo) that was only ~1 hour away.

I would never expect a discount on a Pioneer in the current climate. These dealerships can barely get their hands on the ones people has had deposits on for upwards of a year. It's truly a supply and demand issue. The dealerships that I *WOULD* take issue with would be those that hiked the prices up by thousands of dollars and/or those that added a bunch of overpriced accessories just to get you to pay $28K for a $20K machine with $3K of accessories.

If you were closer to me, I'd ask my dealer if he could sell me a roof @ discount for you ... but the trip from MI to AZ would likely be a deal breaker.
Lol, I appreciate the offer, but yea, a little far to go. I'm not a part of the honda supply chain either, and I've found it much better to go find things on my own than to go through the dealership. It seems their parts sources are rather limited compared to what I can find on the web.
To me, not offering a discount after spending that kind of money, is taking advantage of the current situation, and from what my buddy tells me it's not uncommon for this dealership to do something like that. I think he's on the verge of quitting, and it would take a lot for him to quit. The real downside is that they are the only game in town. I live in a really small town, the closest big city is about 2 hours away, the next is about 3 hours so they have a monopoly in the area...

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just as an example for evidence at how ridiculous people are and the market has become.

USED 1000-5 roof for $900.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just as an example for evidence at how ridiculous people are and the market has become.

And they didn't even bother to clean it before taking pictures!

My '21 SE has only a bit over 300 miles, no issues . . . thinking about parting it out . . . I'll be RICH!!!

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yup, that's the one I saw last night that I was complaining about. I thought about lowballing it at $400 and see what he says. 😆 For me it's principles, the same reason I can't pay $600 for some sheetmetal. Over the last year or two I've been watching craigslist and I have to shake my head on what people are asking for stuff. Water totes for example, pretty common here due to the amount of people living off grid. 1-2 years ago you can get a nice clean one for about $30-$40 each. Now they are $120-$150 for the same tote. Ammo was/is ridiculous as well. A year ago people were selling a 20 round count of 5.56 for $50...

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And they didn't even bother to clean it before taking pictures!

My '21 SE has only a bit over 300 miles, no issues . . . thinking about parting it out . . . I'll be RICH!!!
Rofl!😆 You probably could. That same seller is parting out the rest of the 1000 and it seems he has some pretty high prices...

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My buddy just paid $621.34 (plus sales tax) last week for a brand new OEM roof from our dealership. That included a 15% discount because he just bought a P1K5 Deluxe.

When I got mine for ~$466, the standard OEM price was ~$549. Right after I got mine, Honda raised the OEM price to ~$730.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!