Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This is funny, I just got a random offer from the used roof seller to take $50 off bringing it to $850. I think I'll pass.😆
Tell him he forgot a zero. :)

Reactions: Plowboy1466
D

DcnWayne

Sep 6, 2021
Willis, MI
Ownership

1. 700-2
I built this double layer FRP roof & polycarbonate windshield on our P700.
It's "stitched" onto the rollbars with 75# cable ties. I'm sure they wouldn't hold in a serious crash, but we don't ride hard.
I don't think it looks too Hillbilly.
If I had to do it over, I would roll the FRP over the front more to get a bit of sun visor.

IMG 20220302 104337633 HDR IMG 20220302 104357969 HDR IMG 20220302 104350290

D

davidbrickey

Dec 1, 2021
Parrish, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yup, that's the one I saw last night that I was complaining about. I thought about lowballing it at $400 and see what he says. 😆 For me it's principles, the same reason I can't pay $600 for some sheetmetal. Over the last year or two I've been watching craigslist and I have to shake my head on what people are asking for stuff. Water totes for example, pretty common here due to the amount of people living off grid. 1-2 years ago you can get a nice clean one for about $30-$40 each. Now they are $120-$150 for the same tote. Ammo was/is ridiculous as well. A year ago people were selling a 20 round count of 5.56 for $50...

I actually lowballed them at $400 last week and they said no deal. I am local to them also, and explained I could just pick it up so they would save a ton on the “free shipping”.

Reactions: Lady01
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually lowballed them at $400 last week and they said no deal. I am local to them also, and explained I could just pick it up so they would save a ton on the “free shipping”.
I don't think $400 is lowballing, I would think $400 for a used roof, especially if your local to it would be somewhat fair. I was thinking of doing that too a couple nights ago, and they would have to ship it to me, the only reason I didn't is what if they said yes. I read through some of the negative feedback and there were complaints of long shipping times, bad customer service, and just crappy parts. If I won I would really hate to go though all of that. I also looked through some of their parts, they don't clean a damn thing...

Reactions: JenElio and Lady01
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built this double layer FRP roof & polycarbonate windshield on our P700.
It's "stitched" onto the rollbars with 75# cable ties. I'm sure they wouldn't hold in a serious crash, but we don't ride hard.
I don't think it looks too Hillbilly.
If I had to do it over, I would roll the FRP over the front more to get a bit of sun visor.

View attachment 322015 View attachment 322016 View attachment 322017
That doesn't look too bad really. Hillbilly would be cutting a 55 gallon drum duct taped on there. 😆 It actually looks good. 👍

I was watching a youtube video last night and the guy was showing his add-ons and when he got to his roof I drooled. It was a ranch armor with a surround on the top. I loved it until I went to ranch armors website and damn near had a heart attack over the price. $1300 for the base model....yup, think I'm leaning towards plywood...

HP700

HP700

Mar 7, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-2
The machine is a 1000-5. The plastic roofs cost more than the sheet metal counterparts after doing some research. When I bought it the sales guy was telling me a honda roof was around $800. I balked and said to hell with that, I'll put a sheet of plywood on it. I didn't think I was that serious at the time, I figured I would just buy an aftermarket roof. Wrong.
In my younger days I would have broke down some pallets and made it out of that, lol.
In my area I don't have a lot of trees and stuff to worry about, it's mostly juniper trees and open land. Kind of a shame really, I really wanted an excuse to get a brushguard bumper like the ones in that bumper thread, I just can't justify it at the moment and my wife and buddy would kill me if I did.
I thought about using a spar urethane to coat it, then maybe put a coat of paint over it so it's not so obvious. The sun really beats the hell out of things here so it's kinda iffy, I don't know.
So the roof is gonna last you made out of wood approximately Three years if left out side 24/7 , Then you will have to seal it up Or even replace it. I guess it just comes down to where you wanna spend your time and is your time and effort and labor worth anything. $800 is a lot but once you have paid for it , well then your done . It is waterproof , you are able to had Attachments to it , or brackets for the rollbar.
Don’t forget about all the holes you’ve got to be making the wood so you can strap it to the rollbar that’s a potential leak point😭😭😭😭.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the roof is gonna last you made out of wood approximately Three years if left out side 24/7 , Then you will have to seal it up Or even replace it. I guess it just comes down to where you wanna spend your time and is your time and effort and labor worth anything. $800 is a lot but once you have paid for it , well then your done . It is waterproof , you are able to had Attachments to it , or brackets for the rollbar.
Don’t forget about all the holes you’ve got to be making the wood so you can strap it to the rollbar that’s a potential leak point😭😭😭😭.
Good valid points. If I get 3 years out of it I'm happy, well, not happy but I'll be ok. 3 years would give me enough time to source some steel and make my own. I go to the Phoenix area a couple times a year (against my will) and I can stop and pick some up. That ranch armor one gave me some ideas I would like to do. I also like the idea of being able to put gear and supplies on the roof and I don't think I can do that with the oem honda roof. If I was able to find that high density plastic like some people suggested (good idea by the way) I would go that route and put braces underneath for a roof rack, but I can't find a source up here.

Reactions: JenElio
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ranch armor one I'm talking about.
View attachment 322066
While cool in looks, unless you only drive on flat land it would kill your center of gravity increasing the chances of roll over, last place you want to add a bunch of weight is the roof.

SATV makes a great roof, while not cheap it is light and see through which is really nice, really like mine.

advertisement
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While cool in looks, unless you only drive on flat land it would kill your center of gravity increasing the chances of roll over, last place you want to add a bunch of weight is the roof.

SATV makes a great roof, while not cheap it is light and see through which is really nice, really like mine.
That is true. I was thinking maybe around 1/4" plywood to keep it light and an aluminum roof rack for light stuff like clothes bags, etc... light stuff. When it came time to build a metal one I would use heavy guage sheetmetal and thin wall tubing to keep the weight down. I really don't plan on doing any crazy hill kinda stuff. I just would like to have some extra storage space for "luggage" if I did something like that AZ peace trail or something, or a day of riding with the family and I need somewhere to put a picnic basket...

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is true. I was thinking maybe around 1/4" plywood to keep it light and an aluminum roof rack for light stuff like clothes bags, etc... light stuff. When it came time to build a metal one I would use heavy guage sheetmetal and thin wall tubing to keep the weight down. I really don't plan on doing any crazy hill kinda stuff. I just would like to have some extra storage space for "luggage" if I did something like that AZ peace trail or something, or a day of riding with the family and I need somewhere to put a picnic basket...
Just remember though if you do any trails you’ll come across sketchy moments.

Under my Satv roof i have a 4dr jeep mesh top which is perfect for stowing hoodies, jackets etc under the roof. No way i’d store anything heavy in that area.

Reactions: JenElio and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Another forum member purchased and installed this low-profile car roof rack on his Honda OEM roof. I may do the same if it will still clear going into my enclosed trailer.

Rage Powersports Elevate Outdoor RB-7206 Slim Low-Profile Car Roof Rack Camping Cargo Basket

Only 2.75"in height and less than 15 pounds (and that may be the shipping weight).

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just remember though if you do any trails you’ll come across sketchy moments.

Under my Satv roof i have a 4dr jeep mesh top which is perfect for stowing hoodies, jackets etc under the roof. No way i’d store anything heavy in that area.
I wouldn't either. I was thinking duffle bags with clothes, etc... As you guys already know you get 4-5 people in that thing and storage goes bye-bye. I thought about the bed extender but I'm on the fence. If I got one it would be for a cooler or something. No way in hell would I stick a cooler on the roof, unless I was on totally flat land going really really slow....and I don't like going really really slow... 😁

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another forum member purchased and installed this low-profile car roof rack on his Honda OEM roof. I may do the same if it will still clear going into my enclosed trailer.

Rage Powersports Elevate Outdoor RB-7206 Slim Low-Profile Car Roof Rack Camping Cargo Basket

Only 2.75"in height and less than 15 pounds (and that may be the shipping weight).

View attachment 322105
Oh that is cool! I'm wondering how he mounted it to a honda roof. Aren't the honda roofs domed?

Reactions: Scoop and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Oh that is cool! I'm wondering how he mounted it to a honda roof. Aren't the honda roofs domed?
You could always ask @Happy trails himself :)

He's got some pics of it in this thread: P1000 - 2017 1000-5 LE, new to me

Looks like he used little more than the hardware that came with it and either some washers or standoffs and some rubber washers to seal the holes, maybe?

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll check out the thread, but yeah, it looks like it does have spacers, especially in the front. That rack is narrower than I thought it would be.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Post in thread 'Todd's 2019 Talon X trail build'
Todd's 2019 Talon X trail build

I built my own out of aluminum and painted it black on my talon. With bends in the right place it is solid and stable. The 1000-5 of bigger, but it could be done to be solid. Unfortunately aluminum prices are higher than gas right now.

Reactions: Kal
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post in thread 'Todd's 2019 Talon X trail build'
Todd's 2019 Talon X trail build

I built my own out of aluminum and painted it black on my talon. With bends in the right place it is solid and stable. The 1000-5 of bigger, but it could be done to be solid. Unfortunately aluminum prices are higher than gas right now.
Thanks man, I'll check it out. Yea, tell me about it. I'm afraid to look to see how much it would be. :oops: There is a scrap yard not far from me, I was planning on checking it out maybe next week to see what I could find. I'm not gonna bet the farm but maybe there is something I can use.

Reactions: toddvdh and JenElio
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!