JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I did see this for $60 this morning on Amazon.

I am not sure how well it would work.
The cheapest roof I think I saw was a tusk aluminum on ebay for $580 shipped.
Sooooo..........even after all the horrible reviews, I went ahead as a guinea pig and ordered this a few days ago :rolleyes: 😂😂😂

Although most of the complaints were (not water proof, and straps tearing) I just wanted to try it for the shade aspect and hopefully eliminate some of the noise "echoing" from the machine especially after the chopped top..... (not a replacement for my OEM what so ever) so we'll see if I wasted $50 or not 🤷‍♂️

Fitment is .......... Mehh, could be a bit better. Most of the velcro straps could be placed a tad closer to where the ROPS actually is.....straps should also be sewn into a reinforced patch not just the thin material.
20220303 1905472
20220303 190705
20220303 190750

This is probably the worst part in my opinion. There isn't enough over hang up front. Might be a big issue at higher speeds, we'll see when I take it out soon. If I pull it up to cover the front bar then all of the velcro straps are way off from reaching the rest of the middle and rear top ROPS. 🤷‍♂️
20220303 190634

Ok.......this was a long phucking post and I apologize 😂😂 thought some one might get some useful insight on the Kemimoto soft/canvas roof. 👍

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Sooooo..........even after all the horrible reviews, I went ahead as a guinea pig and ordered this a few days ago :rolleyes: 😂😂😂

Although most of the complaints were (not water proof, and straps tearing) I just wanted to try it for the shade aspect and hopefully eliminate some of the noise "echoing" from the machine especially after the chopped top..... (not a replacement for my OEM what so ever) so we'll see if I wasted $50 or not 🤷‍♂️

Fitment is .......... Mehh, could be a bit better. Most of the velcro straps could be placed a tad closer to where the ROPS actually is.....straps should also be sewn into a reinforced patch not just the thin material.
View attachment 322349View attachment 322350View attachment 322351
This is probably the worst part in my opinion. There isn't enough over hang up front. Might be a big issue at higher speeds, we'll see when I take it out soon. If I pull it up to cover the front bar then all of the velcro straps are way off from reaching the rest of the middle and rear top ROPS. 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 322352

Ok.......this was a long phucking post and I apologize 😂😂 thought some one might get some useful insight on the Kemimoto soft/canvas roof. 👍
I wonder how much it flaps going down a road at decent speed?

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 322352

For $50 though it looks like it’ll get the job done.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For $50 though it looks like it’ll get the job done.
Yeah that's what I figured, it was actually $47 sooo not bad at all. I'll try and come up with a way to be able to tow with it on though. It's not exactly a 2 minute install to be putting on and off.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 322352

That is Awesome! I like the initiative!! I hope it works out in the long run. If it's junk Amazon will take most things back within 30 days courtesy of prime :p I do love me some good Amazon. It is my #1 online retailer.

Reactions: Kal and JenElio
Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have a 2021 5 I looked at it a different way I thought $800 fore a plastic roof was crazy and looed around at metal tops
I found Ranch Armor in Texas it was higher but well worth it with a full rack on top built very well

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have a 2021 5 I looked at it a different way I thought $800 fore a plastic roof was crazy and looed around at metal tops
I found Ranch Armor in Texas it was higher but well worth it with a full rack on top built very well
I saw them and they look good. I read through the feedback and some were saying it was hard to put on.

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw them and they look good. I read through the feedback and some were saying it was hard to put on.
I've found it wise to consider the mechanical and/or technical aspects of a given product when reading reviews on line. If there's a way to screw things up, the less mech/tech adept will sometimes blame the product rather than the installer.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've found it wise to consider the mechanical and/or technical aspects of a given product when reading reviews on line. If there's a way to screw things up, the less mech/tech adept will sometimes blame the product rather than the installer.
That is quite the possibility. One of the youtube videos I've watched on it the guy said it was difficult but not impossible.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
A

another gunslinger

Sep 23, 2021
MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tusk aluminum. $500ish from Rocky Mountain, shipped. not much more than you'll spend on HDPE and hardware.

Reactions: Kal
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tusk aluminum. $500ish from Rocky Mountain, shipped. not much more than you'll spend on HDPE and hardware.
I priced what it would cost in HDPE from some shops in the valley, it would be cheaper to buy that tusk roof. :oops: I said hell with it and built a plywood roof. Not the best by far, but it should last a few years and keep the rain, sun, and bird crap off my head until I can build a steel roof. I'm not the best craftsman but I'm sure I can make something like those ranch armor tops.

And no, the tops not on yet. I'm waiting for most of the honda clamps to come in which are on @$&*ING backorder...:mad:

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got a metal roof for my 700-4, I figured I plan on keeping this UTV for a long time that the $600 is worth it to not have to redo it. I do wish I had seen/thought of the idea of HDPE as that is a great idea/option.

As for plywood, it may not look great but it will last longer than three years. I have a wagon for my utv to haul wood and its floor/side are made of untreated 1/2 plywood and its been about 10 years since I made it, still together and hauling wood so still strong just not looking so hot. It is also left outside in the weather year round and not painted.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I found you can get a 4x8 sheet of HDPE online from this company, not as cheap as the place the person suggesting to use this got it from.

Says shipping would be via motor freight so may not be worth it to be honest but can get it. If you have a 2 seater and a 4ft long piece would work that can be more reasonable to be shipped.

Phil

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got a metal roof for my 700-4, I figured I plan on keeping this UTV for a long time that the $600 is worth it to not have to redo it. I do wish I had seen/thought of the idea of HDPE as that is a great idea/option.

As for plywood, it may not look great but it will last longer than three years. I have a wagon for my utv to haul wood and its floor/side are made of untreated 1/2 plywood and its been about 10 years since I made it, still together and hauling wood so still strong just not looking so hot. It is also left outside in the weather year round and not painted.
I think HDPE is a great idea, I just can't get it affordable here. I've looked into sellers on the web too including US plastics, and like you said in your other post, shipping doesn't make it viable being freight and all, and most are requiring a business to ship it to because of the whole dock/forklift thing. It was that way too when I was going to buy that kolpin roof, shipping was high and it could only be shipped to a business. As if two small thin pieces of sheetmetal require a forklift... :rolleyes:

Things here don't last as long as they should. Everything from tires to batteries don't last. I don't know if it's the altitude, moisture content, or just the AZ sun. I really do want a metal roof though so if the plywood lasts long enough to make the metal one I'm happy. I'm planning on keeping the p1k5 for a very long time so for me it'll be worth it.

I did take away one lesson with doing this plywood. I used 15/32 plywood to try and cut down on the weight. The downside is that it's a little flimsy and I had to put some extra wood on it to help keep it's rigidity so there went the weight savings... I think that 1/4" HDPE you were looking at would have the same problem so if it was me I would go with 1/2", but then the cost would exceed $800, at least for me if I bought it down in Phoenix. As it stands right now between the plywood, stain, and honda clamps I have about $350 invested in the plywood roof.

Reactions: mpilihp
M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think HDPE is a great idea, I just can't get it affordable here. I've looked into sellers on the web too including US plastics, and like you said in your other post, shipping doesn't make it viable being freight and all, and most are requiring a business to ship it to because of the whole dock/forklift thing. It was that way too when I was going to buy that kolpin roof, shipping was high and it could only be shipped to a business. As if two small thin pieces of sheetmetal require a forklift... :rolleyes:

Things here don't last as long as they should. Everything from tires to batteries don't last. I don't know if it's the altitude, moisture content, or just the AZ sun. I really do want a metal roof though so if the plywood lasts long enough to make the metal one I'm happy. I'm planning on keeping the p1k5 for a very long time so for me it'll be worth it.

I did take away one lesson with doing this plywood. I used 15/32 plywood to try and cut down on the weight. The downside is that it's a little flimsy and I had to put some extra wood on it to help keep it's rigidity so there went the weight savings... I think that 1/4" HDPE you were looking at would have the same problem so if it was me I would go with 1/2", but then the cost would exceed $800, at least for me if I bought it down in Phoenix. As it stands right now between the plywood, stain, and honda clamps I have about $350 invested in the plywood roof.
Be sure to post pics of it when your done.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!