Rooftop AC’s

J

JTW

ok.. so any suggestions on what brand of drop in rooftop ac? I don’t need anything too fancy.. just cold and dependable. Thinking 15k btu as the trailer isn’t insulated... at least yet. Trying to figure out a good way to go about that too as the interior is finished. 24x8.5x7’

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
ok.. so any suggestions on what brand of drop in rooftop ac? I don’t need anything too fancy.. just cold and dependable. Thinking 15k btu as the trailer isn’t insulated... at least yet. Trying to figure out a good way to go about that too as the interior is finished. 24x8.5x7’
@Plumber32 ,@Tigermark it's all yours! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang! Pull cabinets remove wall & celling finish and have it foamed, reinstall said components

Reactions: BWAF
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My shop is an authorized Carrier dealer, I was impressed with there equipment as an HVAC tech before I worked for a shop that carried them. I’ve seen and worked on a few of there RV roof mounted units and there of good quality imo. Domestic and Coleman make decent units as well. They all typically use 2 different brand compressors and both are good. For your set up, your looking for a unit that has the controls (thermostat) on the system itself, that would be easier to deal with. The ladder you would have to run stat wire and a thermostat on the wall. All of the RV roof mounted units use 110v so you can plug that directly into a dedicated portable generator to run it.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh and to note about an external thermostat control. Those aren’t your typical thermostats. They wire different so you’ll need to but there’s and that means more money just FYI

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
D

Deleted member 3748

I saw this setup here in MI just last week. Have you considered a patchwork thru 2x4 stud diamond plate horizontal fresh air exhaust HVAC system?

DSCN8612

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I thought CP talked you out of installing an AC unit;)

J

JTW

Dang! Pull cabinets remove wall & celling finish and have it foamed, reinstall said components
I had my shop insulated with foam and it knocked 40 degrees out of the ceiling in the summer.
The problem with pulling the interior is it’s aluminum and taped at the seams.. the chances of me removing everything without f***ing up and creasing a panel isn’t good. I’m afraid that if I use the expanding foam without removing the interior it will blow the panels out. What I need is a type of blown in insulation. Something that’s similar to the beads in a styrofoam block. Something that can be blown in and fill the voids but doesn’t expand and is water proof... Incase there’s a leak or more likely condensation.

J

JTW

My shop is an authorized Carrier dealer, I was impressed with there equipment as an HVAC tech before I worked for a shop that carried them. I’ve seen and worked on a few of there RV roof mounted units and there of good quality imo. Domestic and Coleman make decent units as well. They all typically use 2 different brand compressors and both are good. For your set up, your looking for a unit that has the controls (thermostat) on the system itself, that would be easier to deal with. The ladder you would have to run stat wire and a thermostat on the wall. All of the RV roof mounted units use 110v so you can plug that directly into a dedicated portable generator to run it.
Thanks for the info... any units to stay away from?

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info... any units to stay away from?
Not really. They only use 2 manufactures compressors, that’s the main driving power for the cooling. The controls are the same concept just different parts. In quality and most on the market I’d say carrier, Dometic and Coleman you can’t go wrong.

defiantly buy new. Used ones are basically junk or were at one time. These units are basically window shaker/throw away units when the compressor goes bad or a leak in the evaporator and not worth fixing at that point. Anyone that has f***ed with fixing a leek on one is sure to leek bad later

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
J

JTW

Not really. They only use 2 manufactures compressors, that’s the main driving power for the cooling. The controls are the same concept just different parts. In quality and most on the market I’d say carrier, Dometic and Coleman you can’t go wrong.

defiantly buy new. Used ones are basically junk or were at one time. These units are basically window shaker/throw away units when the compressor goes bad or a leak in the evaporator and not worth fixing at that point. Anyone that has f***ed with fixing a leek on one is sure to leek bad later
Sweet... and how about the heat strips... yay or nay?

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sweet... and how about the heat strips... yay or nay?
Nay if you want to stay warm? They pump out luke warm at best. If it’s in the mid upper 40’s outside and u have good insulation then your good

The element is small so u can still have adequate air flow for ac

J

JTW

Nay if you want to stay warm? They pump out luke warm at best. If it’s in the mid upper 40’s outside and u have good insulation then your good

The element is small so u can still have adequate air flow for ac
Yeah.. we’re in heat pump country here. So kinda use to luke warm air. We had a heat strip on the horse trailer and it was ok at best from what I can remember. Used the little electric heater mostly. Just thinking about those cool evenings where it’s not really cold... but a little heat might be nice.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah.. we’re in heat pump country here. So kinda use to luke warm air. We had a heat strip on the horse trailer and it was ok at best from what I can remember. Used the little electric heater mostly. Just thinking about those cool evenings where it’s not really cold... but a little heat might be nice.
In that case the heat is between the sheets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk