P1000m5 Rotomold Coolers- calling all Yeti, Orca, Igloo...etc owners

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Backstory: Google marketing got me again on the fourth of July. I went in to Dick's Sporting Goods to pick up some underwear they had on sale (Reebok cool-wick boxer briefs in case you are curious- best I've found and on sale at $2/pair), and couldn't help but to see the 20% off Yeti sign.

Now I've long scoffed at the yuppies with their $400 coolers, but being fresh off a trip to Hatfield McCoy during which I lost a half a bag of Snickers Minis to the heat, and then another half a bag to the melted ice in my cooler, I was willing to consider the possibility that I had been wrong. Yeti products rarely go on sale, and certainly not at 20%. So I picked up my undies and I went home to consult Dr. Google.

Shortly after my research was complete, I was scrolling through Instagram as us Millennials sometimes do to avoid the real responsibilities of the day, and I was presented with an ad for Orca coolers. After a little research about head-to-head comparisons with Yeti and where each product is manufactured I decided that I couldn't hardly afford NOT to pull the trigger on an Orca complete with basket for my Snickers and non-slip top pad for...well free.

I told all that to ask you this: how are you all mounting your rotomolded coolers in the back of your Pioneer 1000-5?

It looks to me like pretty much all brands have an inch or inch and a half slit under the lid with which the cooler can be tied down. Are you guys using tie down points in the very back and laying the tailgate down? Maybe the buckles that are on the side of the bed about a quarter of the way into the bed? Are you just using a ratchet tie down strap pulled apart and fed through the loop in the cooler? I've seen that they make several metal straps that will fit in this slot... I imagine some people are using those? Are we even using factory tie down points, or is there another tie down point that has been mounted at a certain place? Especially if this is the case I would love to see how has been done before I go drill holes in the bed. I've seen some guys with turnbuckle setups... Anybody had any luck with one of those?

I have the 26 quart version that I intend to use in the back of the pioneer, it looks like it's equivalent in size to the Yeti 35 for Yeti folks.

Thanks in advance!

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
13fb99125b468eb7efddf99f3ebe23be98647791a6a0a0c3917a4c542d9b8017

Bent some aluminum straps to fit the slots in the cooler then use a ratchet strap though the d rings I put in the bed to snug it down tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Cyberjunk screws or bolts for the tie down points? It looks like my Honda points are bolted into anchors on the backside, but a lot of the tie down points that I'm seeing for sale on the aftermarket are just self tapping screws. I've been leery about how secure they would be.

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like @Cyberjunk but using turnbuckles.

Do you remember what size your turnbuckles are? Do you have to put nuts on them to keep them from loosening up as you ride, or do they do a pretty good job staying put if they're just snugged down?

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
The d rings are on the screws that hold the bed down , there in the frame under the plastic so they are secure .

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
The d rings are on the screws that hold the bed down , there in the frame under the plastic so they are secure .

The D rings are from harbor freight

Reactions: Biteme
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you remember what size your turnbuckles are? Do you have to put nuts on them to keep them from loosening up as you ride, or do they do a pretty good job staying put if they're just snugged down?
@6” hook to hook not at home right now, I’m using them on a Ozark Trail 26, my orcas wont fit in the bed with my Ridgid stacks.

I haven’t used them on a ride yet the turnbuckles didn’t get installed until after takeover, but they are far more secure and hold the cooler in place better than a ratchet tie down messing around on my trails on the homestead. The nuts are a good idea I’ll steal that thanks.

3BCD83B0 4459 452C BD98 16FA80DFEA7E

If you carry cans run over to http:\\www.Rocksteadycoolers.com and pickup one of their widgets to keep them from busting in your cooler.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I watc
Backstory: Google marketing got me again on the fourth of July. I went in to Dick's Sporting Goods to pick up some underwear they had on sale (Reebok cool-wick boxer briefs in case you are curious- best I've found and on sale at $2/pair), and couldn't help but to see the 20% off Yeti sign.

Now I've long scoffed at the yuppies with their $400 coolers, but being fresh off a trip to Hatfield McCoy during which I lost a half a bag of Snickers Minis to the heat, and then another half a bag to the melted ice in my cooler, I was willing to consider the possibility that I had been wrong. Yeti products rarely go on sale, and certainly not at 20%. So I picked up my undies and I went home to consult Dr. Google.

Shortly after my research was complete, I was scrolling through Instagram as us Millennials sometimes do to avoid the real responsibilities of the day, and I was presented with an ad for Orca coolers. After a little research about head-to-head comparisons with Yeti and where each product is manufactured I decided that I couldn't hardly afford NOT to pull the trigger on an Orca complete with basket for my Snickers and non-slip top pad for...well free.

I told all that to ask you this: how are you all mounting your rotomolded coolers in the back of your Pioneer 1000-5?

It looks to me like pretty much all brands have an inch or inch and a half slit under the lid with which the cooler can be tied down. Are you guys using tie down points in the very back and laying the tailgate down? Maybe the buckles that are on the side of the bed about a quarter of the way into the bed? Are you just using a ratchet tie down strap pulled apart and fed through the loop in the cooler? I've seen that they make several metal straps that will fit in this slot... I imagine some people are using those? Are we even using factory tie down points, or is there another tie down point that has been mounted at a certain place? Especially if this is the case I would love to see how has been done before I go drill holes in the bed. I've seen some guys with turnbuckle setups... Anybody had any luck with one of those?

I have the 26 quart version that I intend to use in the back of the pioneer, it looks like it's equivalent in size to the Yeti 35 for Yeti folks.

Thanks in advance!
I watched the video of the test, talk about dip weeds, coolers on the ends got quite a bit more heat exposure than the ones one the middle, they should have rotated the order or had the test in an acre field, spread way apart. But they all beat the old coolers! Think white is the best for ice retention in any cooler. Get black if you want to keep things hot! HA! Our coolers have rubber feet and I don't tie them down and they don't slide around?

advertisement
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spent $15 on Amazon and bought a generic cooler tie down kit for our RTIC 45. I screwed the brackets into the back of the right side rear seat so my wife has to stretch around to get into the cooler.

It hasn't moved during any of our shenanigans.

20190501 224011

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spent $15 on Amazon and bought a generic cooler tie down kit for our RTIC 45. I screwed the brackets into the back of the right side rear seat so my wife has to stretch around to get into the cooler.

View attachment 144204

You don't have a link handy do ya??

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 144204
I've never done any thing like that! Don't listen to any of the A holes with pictures, the were photo chopped and pasted! HA! My cooler fell out though, never lost any beers!

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s my Orca last weekend at the Mesabi Iron Range. “It was hot both days and no melted Reese’s or m&ms. Lol. When we get home from trips and for extra amusement, I let it sit in my hot garage and ice lasts upto 5 days. Plus we keep a 75 qt Orca back in the van for the main food supply.

10371E1A 2B5D 4A67 8FEE 8C3483B4A086 B4926D84 061A 4994 AD43 279E7A3EF4FE

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a Igloo 30 rotomold and a RTIC 24 soft cooler on my trip through magruders corridor. I always use frozen water bottles for ice so I can drink them as needed. After 4 days in the Igloo the bottles were still 80% frozen and about 25% in the Rtic. Happy with both of the results.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a Igloo 30 rotomold and a RTIC 24 soft cooler on my trip through magruders corridor. I always use frozen water bottles for ice so I can drink them as needed. After 4 days in the Igloo the bottles were still 80% frozen and about 25% in the Rtic. Happy with both of the results.

Frozen water bottles is a good idea. :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!