BOX1

P500 Rough idle

C

CowboyMatt

May 10, 2018
Sonoma County, California
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. New to the forum. I have checked the other chats and don't see a lot of information, so I am starting a new thread in hopes of a discovery. My 2016 500 has developed a rough idle. While in neutral, it lopes. While in gear -if it's at an idle- it's a real rodeo. When I apply throttle, it runs perfectly. It was running when it happened. I was standing right next to it. A buddy was sitting in it, and it just started loping. I drained and changed the gas; twice. I've run fuel additives through it. No change. I changed the oil. No change. I just ordered a shop/service repair manual, but I don't know where to start on a fuel injected engine. I'm assuming it has to do with the idle air control valve, but I don't know for sure. If anybody has seen this, and knows what to do, or at least where to start, I would really appreciate some help!

Reactions: FuzzyGrub
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm interested to see what ideas people give you on this.

My initial guess would be a dirty airflow sensor (if our P500's have them), but I make no claims of being a mechanic either.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Do you run in deep water and mudd ?

I would start with the simple stuff first , spark plug , clean air filter , check air box drain......etc. also clean the spark arrester per manual!

C

CowboyMatt

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Fouled plug maybe? I've had snowmobiles do that before, run fine when you're on the throttle but start and idle hard.
Thank you. I did check the plug. It was a little fouled, but not bad. I cleaned and replaced. That actually made the lope worse. No idea why.

Reactions: trigger
C

CowboyMatt

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Do you run in deep water and mudd ?

I would start with the simple stuff first , spark plug , clean air filter , check air box drain......etc. also clean the spark arrester per manual!
Thank you. I checked everything but the air box drain. (Didn't know there was one?? I assume it's going to be obvious, and below the air filter?) Cleaned the spark arrest port too. No change. This machine is acting like it's starving for fuel. But as far as I can tell, the only fuel filter is inside the tank, and is not supposed to be serviced. I would like to see if there is anything I'm missing before I go through the serious hassle of removing the fuel tank, then the fuel pump, etc.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fuel pump is actually fairly accessable on the 500 once you pull the seat plastic on the passenger side. You don't have to remove the tank.

Have you tried cracking the gas cap while running to see if it clears up (venting issue)?
Check for vacuum leaks in the intake.
Idle air control valve (IACV) is a possibility. Wiring to various sensors should set a code, but check anyway. And while you're at it, check the battery cables for tightness along with grounds, etc. Might even disconnect them for a few to see if it fixes it.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Thank you. I checked everything but the air box drain. (Didn't know there was one?? I assume it's going to be obvious, and below the air filter?) Cleaned the spark arrest port too. No change. This machine is acting like it's starving for fuel. But as far as I can tell, the only fuel filter is inside the tank, and is not supposed to be serviced. I would like to see if there is anything I'm missing before I go through the serious hassle of removing the fuel tank, then the fuel pump, etc.
Air box drain really wouldn't affect how it runs , just thought I would mention it ! I would check for any bare wire in the harness , ground wires anything you can think of , it could also be a faulty coil !

It could be a number of things , but I would do as you are doing , just check everything that is suggested , before letting the dealer get there paws on it !

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Dirty idle air valve on the throttle body or bad connection where the wires plug into it? No idea really lol. Good luck! Let us know what you find out!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
If you just want to sit in it idling try your recliner , then when you want to ride it ....G O another dilemma solved . Your welcome

Reactions: DG Rider
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you. I did check the plug. It was a little fouled, but not bad. I cleaned and replaced. That actually made the lope worse. No idea why.
On my Suzuki DR200 dual sport bike, I had rough idle problems, also cleaned & replaced plug, it didn't help. Then I installed a brand new spark plug and it has run perfect ever since. Try a new spark plug if other things aren't working.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you just want to sit in it idling try your recliner , then when you want to ride it ....G O another dilemma solved . Your welcome
Arizona state of mind...

Reactions: HUCK
C

CowboyMatt

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
C

CowboyMatt

May 10, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. New to the forum. I have checked the other chats and don't see a lot of information, so I am starting a new thread in hopes of a discovery. My 2016 500 has developed a rough idle. While in neutral, it lopes. While in gear -if it's at an idle- it's a real rodeo. When I apply throttle, it runs perfectly. It was running when it happened. I was standing right next to it. A buddy was sitting in it, and it just started loping. I drained and changed the gas; twice. I've run fuel additives through it. No change. I changed the oil. No change. I just ordered a shop/service repair manual, but I don't know where to start on a fuel injected engine. I'm assuming it has to do with the idle air control valve, but I don't know for sure. If anybody has seen this, and knows what to do, or at least where to start, I would really appreciate some help!
Replying to myself here. It turned out to be a dirty IACV. I pulled it, cleaned it, and put it back in. Problem solved.

B

BigHornRider7691

Jun 26, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you. That was, in fact, the problem! I removed it and found it to be very, very dirty. Don't know why. Air filter itself was a little dirty, but not bad by any means. Anyway, I pulled it, cleaned it with carb cleaner, and reinstalled it. Presto! Problem solved. Thank you for your help.
Where is this valve located?

Reactions: HUCK and Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!