Talon Rugged Radio Mounting

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grounding the antenna did not help. Will be sending the radio in to Rugged for warranty service. This has become involved to the point I was afraid of and it's irritating. I will be stronger for it in the end...begrudgingly. Now I have a Baofeng Clone (Hesenate) and learned how to program it. I have three college degrees - I am tired of learning.

Kinda of LOL, sorry to hear that.
FWIW, you could spend years learning this crap, it’s hobby all in its own.

But look at it this way, you’ll now be an expert to help others at the events. If I was you I’d buy a bunch of them and sell/install them at the Takeover! Your unit will most likely now be one of the top performers

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Grounding the antenna did not help. Will be sending the radio in to Rugged for warranty service. This has become involved to the point I was afraid of and it's irritating. I will be stronger for it in the end...begrudgingly. Now I have a Baofeng Clone (Hesenate) and learned how to program it. I have three college degrees - I am tired of learning.
Man, that really sucks! I feel your pain! Did you get the 1/2 wave antenna? My RZR buddy and I both fought the stupid 1/4 wave antenna for weeks before finding the 1/2 wave took care of the issues. His issue was the radio was effecting his aftermarket fuel management system sending it to full lean air fuel ratio! Not a good situation. Since installing the 1/2 wave the air/fuel ratio gage still tweaks, but it’s now a false indication because the ratio no longer changes. He can live with that since the gage is only effected while pressing the PTT button.
I think RR is playing dumb to these issues in order to protect sales! When I and my friend spoke to them several times independent of each other, they act like they’ve never heard of these issues, even though they do warn about after market engine control systems in some of their literature.
Persevere and you will prevail!!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Wow reading this makes me like my handheld........

we all use BCA radios in the winter and summer. Water / snow proof and reliable so far.

Reactions: CID
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Wow reading this makes me like my handheld........

we all use BCA radios in the winter and summer. Water / snow proof and reliable so far.

I'm seriously questioning my decision to go full out rather than just handheld and adapter jack for headset. Music quality sucks even in the H24 ultimate headphones and no way I'm paying for Alpha Base stuff which I've read is only marginally better. I already have a NOAM sound system, too. Oh well, I'm in it now. I do like the intercom feature, but man...its a tough pill to swallow. The handheld is actually the bright spot in all this because I just might go ahead and program it to communicate to a local repeater and use it like a scanner from time to time. I am actually glad to have some tiny bit of shortwave radio knowledge.

Reactions: monaco
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Man, that really sucks! I feel your pain! Did you get the 1/2 wave antenna? My RZR buddy and I both fought the stupid 1/4 wave antenna for weeks before finding the 1/2 wave took care of the issues. His issue was the radio was effecting his aftermarket fuel management system sending it to full lean air fuel ratio! Not a good situation. Since installing the 1/2 wave the air/fuel ratio gage still tweaks, but it’s now a false indication because the ratio no longer changes. He can live with that since the gage is only effected while pressing the PTT button.
I think RR is playing dumb to these issues in order to protect sales! When I and my friend spoke to them several times independent of each other, they act like they’ve never heard of these issues, even though they do warn about after market engine control systems in some of their literature.
Persevere and you will prevail!!

No, they flat out don't suggest the half wave as a solution even though I have suggested it. I still might get one anyways, even if the quarter wave works, just because the half wave should work better. I don't see the point in handicapping a $1700.00 system on a $50.00 part.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
No, they flat out don't suggest the half wave as a solution even though I have suggested it. I still might get one anyways, even if the quarter wave works, just because the half wave should work better. I don't see the point in handicapping a $1700.00 system on a $50.00 part.

$1700!!!!!!

That’s insane.

I would be curious how much more range it has over a handheld?

At $180.00
(we usually are fine for 2 miles with ours)

BC Link™ Two-Way Radio 2.0

Reactions: CID
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
$1700!!!!!!

That’s insane.

At $180.00

They say the 60 watt radio has a 30 mile range... probably under ideal conditions I can’t really validate that, but I know it worked well from my house to my buddies house probably 12 miles away with some hills and a river in between. It’s not likely that I’ll ever need that kind of range, but it could be a life saver... literally... if I ever had to call for help in the middle of nowhere.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I can’t hardly believe that because when I got my 1/2 wave and it solved my issues, I called ER and told them the situation. She ( don’t remember her name) said “oh yeah, the 1/2 wave works much better for your application). Tell them your sending the 1/4 wave back and want the 1/2 wave as an even exchange. I can’t believe the inconsistent technical advice coming out of their shop!

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
$1700!!!!!!

That’s insane.

At $180.00

The radio is marked up about $150 more than the generic radio that you can also buy. but it comes with a jack to connect to the intercom which you'd have to solder and it is pre programmed with offroad channels. It is all the other stuff that is really expensive. The intercom is the biggest ticket item and then there is just a bunch of ancillary cabling, mounts, antenna, headsets etc. The system was $1150, but then I added two headsets, radio cover, baja boot, antenna mount (didn't need) and probably some other things I can't recall.

You can get a Hesenate or Baofeng radio same as Rugged's handheld for about 50 bucks with a programming cable and then you figure out and program it yourself. My group uses rugged radios. I wanted something that would be automatically compatible and if I have a problem they can help me out too. If I went alternative, I'd have less help. Rugged has pretty good support. I have no doubt this will get resolved.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t hardly believe that because when I got my 1/2 wave and it solved my issues, I called ER and told them the situation. She ( don’t remember her name) said “oh yeah, the 1/2 wave works much better for your application). Tell them your sending the 1/4 wave back and want the 1/2 wave as an even exchange. I can’t believe the inconsistent technical advice coming out of their shop!

The 1/4 wave can NEVER be as good as a 1/2 wave unless the 1/2 is installed wrong!

With that said it’s almost always an issue with the installation. Regardless of antenna, re-route the electrical and the coax (by the way the cheap coax they send really is not very good, it leaks signal which is what messes with the vehicle electronics) the thicker the coax the better). But that’s a whole new lesson/education. Route the coax and power cable opposite side of any electronics, stay as far away from the ECM as possible, make sure everything is grounded (radio, antenna, coax, etc.)

These things are great when everything is right, it doesn’t take much for them to be wrong.

And as for range yes they should get a mile per watt in ideal conditions, with trees, hills, etc. assume 1/2 that at best. The best handheld is 8-10 watts, the ones most of you guys are using are anywhere from a 1/2 to 5 watts at most (nothing wrong with hand helds just talking about performance). Rugged mobile dash mount is as high as 60 depending on your model or 25 with the cheapest model. A handheld on top of a hill will out talk a dash mount trying to transmit through obstacles. In theory the more power, the better the antenna the better the performance.

Clear as mud eh

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Jamesh, did you get your radio issue resolved?

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Jamesh, did you get your radio issue resolved?
I need to send it in for warranty service. I may not do that till week after next. Getting ready for a vacation next week and going on a cruise. Shortwave radios will have to wait.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to send it in for warranty service. I may not do that till week after next. Getting ready for a vacation next week and going on a cruise. Shortwave radios will have to wait.

FYI, I think I read on the Rugged site you only have 15 days to do that.
You might want to check or call them and get an RMA.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Better not be a 15 day warranty

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4

HondaRed16, I just sent the stuff today. They do have a 15 day period (which I was not aware of), but that has to do with returns and exchanges, not warranty.

Reactions: HondaRed16
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HondaRed16, I just sent the stuff today. They do have a 15 day period (which I was not aware of), but that has to do with returns and exchanges, not warranty.

That's great.
I thought you were exchanging it :)
What is their warranty period BTW?

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
That's great.
I thought you were exchanging it :)
What is their warranty period BTW?
Warranty is 3 years. There is a chance they may not honor it. During initial testing when PTT was killing the engine, I did key up the mic a few times without the antenna connected, not knowing you are not supposed to do that. They told me it should withstand a few instances of that if brief. I probably keyed it up about 6 times for less than 2 or 3 seconds like that. We'll see...So far they've been pretty good to talk to. I'll challenge them on the no antenna PTT issue if they try to deny warranty on that. None of their literature, that I could find, says not to do that. If they are selling turnkey kits and prepping them for novices, they should post that in big letters somewhere. It's not something that is obvious to the clientele they are targeting.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Warranty is 3 years. There is a chance they may not honor it. During initial testing when PTT was killing the engine, I did key up the mic a few times without the antenna connected, not knowing you are not supposed to do that. They told me it should withstand a few instances of that if brief. I probably keyed it up about 6 times for less than 2 or 3 seconds like that. We'll see...So far they've been pretty good to talk to. I'll challenge them on the no antenna PTT issue if they try to deny warranty on that. None of their literature, that I could find, says not to do that. If they are selling turnkey kits and prepping them for novices, they should post that in big letters somewhere. It's not something that is obvious to the clientele they are targeting.

Man you're honest as heck; you told them you keyed the mic without antenna?
I totally agree with the no label warning.
They really should have lots of language about how to install correctly, grounding, coax, etc.
These little buggers really should be installed by professionals, but us gear-heads won't accept that eh ;)
Good luck man, if they try to deny you tell em you'll be all over the forums.

Reactions: jamesh
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Update on the radio saga.

So I sent in the radio and the intercom as directed by Rugged. They did some testing and found the intercom was bad. I was doubtful since the problem existed even when I used the hand mic direct to the radio and told them so. They said they'd double check. It arrived a couple days ago with a new intercom....seem to b working fine. It's mysterious to me how the intercom would have affected the radio even using the hand mic. I'm sure it is not mysterious to someone smarter. I never disconnected the intercom for self testing as I assumed the hand mic bypassed the intercom. From a tid bit I read on Facebook, it seems the older intercoms maybe connected to the radio using the hand mic port. So, I suppose the plug that Rugged installs into the back of the radio might well still be routed through the hand mic circuitry. I just did a quick test, even inside the garage and it worked. I'll update again once I finish the complete re-install and take it for a ride with my group. For the money and time spent on this, I'm just gonna talk and talk and talk to everybody to get my money's worth, lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!