P1000 S&S Fab skids - anyone using them

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's pretty crazy how low the shifter fork sits in the frame and seems like the most vulnerable piece. I hope these add adequate protection

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's pretty crazy how low the shifter fork sits in the frame and seems like the most vulnerable piece. I hope these add adequate protection
I don't even cringe when going over things and dragging now. I usually say to my wife: See that is why I spent that money on the skip plate! It is kind of a running joke now. We both yell skid plate when something bumps it Lol.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think im going to pull the trigger on a set for my 700-4. What your guys thoughts on spray in bedliner on the top side before I install it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Just curious what the price was for the 700-4. I've got to get some aluminum for work and was going to have them price me some to make my own. But if they aren't too over priced I might save my self a little heart ache and buy some. Thanks

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just curious what the price was for the 700-4. I've got to get some aluminum for work and was going to have them price me some to make my own. But if they aren't too over priced I might save my self a little heart ache and buy some. Thanks

I got mine for a great deal. A buddy of mine and I ordered them at the same time and got a discount. After powder coating, shipping and tax we paid $440 per skid. They fit perfect and the install was super easy. I thought about making my own but I'm glad I didn't.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
It has cut outs.. he said you should never have to remove them once installed..
Just wait until you get that joker in some deep mud. It is like a dang wheel barrow in the mud. I had to drop mine last trip we made to Pickett State Forrest. I tried to spray it out but after over 2hrs, I dropped the skid and cleaned it. Next time I'll save myself some time and go ahead and drop the skid.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

So I did some looking last night.. seems any weight benefits of the UHMW
I got mine for a great deal. A buddy of mine and I ordered them at the same time and got a discount. After powder coating, shipping and tax we paid $440 per skid. They fit perfect and the install was super easy. I thought about making my own but I'm glad I didn't.
Was that with a arm guards?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I did some looking last night.. seems any weight benefits of the UHMW

Was that with a arm guards?
No I already had UHMW arm guards. However they did say they would give me the arm guards for $580 total at the time. I did end up purchasing 3 skid plates from him so he offered me great prices.

J

JTW

On the 700-4 I'm thinking the shipping weight was like 80lbs. They definitely aren't light.
Ok.. so I've done some figuring.

Aluminum = .098 lbs per sq inch
UHMW = .034 lbs per sq inch

Let's say our skids are roughly 62x72

Aluminum skid is 3/16= .1875
UHMW skid is 1/2= .5

Aluminum 62x72x.1875= 837 sq in
837 x .098= 82.0 lbs

UHMW 62x72x.5= 2232 sq in
2232 x .034= 75.8 lbs

So we're talking 6 lbs difference between aluminum vs UHMW.. We all know the property differences. UHMW is self lubricating so it slides better over objects.. but it also flexes more and can crack. Aluminum is much more ridged but can deform and has a tendency to "stick" in certain applications.

Comparing prices.. I was over $1000 to go the UHMW route for skids and a arm guards (I think total was 1100-1200)... aluminum was $750 power coated to my door.

If the need were ever there for a slicker skid.. the aluminum can be skinned with a thin sheet of UHMW like the bottom of an airboat or dump truck bed. I don't foresee the need to, but it's an option. Hope this helps anyone looking to make a future skid purchase. I was indifferent when I started looking.. and actually leaned towards the UHMW. Ultimately a cheaper, more ridged skid was a better fit for me. Regardless of which you prefer or decide on... get something on under there!

J

JTW

No I already had UHMW arm guards. However they did say they would give me the arm guards for $580 total at the time. I did end up purchasing 3 skid plates from him so he offered me great prices.
I tried jewing him down but was unsuccessful.. I'm sure material prices, shipping and other costs had an impact and fluctuates. So I'd suggest everyone giving it a try! Ya never know!

Maybe several folks can get together and see if he'll offer a Hondasxs forum discount?? My dad is looking to buy a set here shortly.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a price on some aluminum and go from there. I don't usually ride in terrain that I need it, but there is 1 place we go they would be nice. I'm hoping the little bit of lift from the Can Am shocks give me a extra room to get through there.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a price on some aluminum and go from there. I don't usually ride in terrain that I need it, but there is 1 place we go they would be nice. I'm hoping the little bit of lift from the Can Am shocks give me a extra room to get through there.
I'd get something under it asap whether bought or built. I ended up with a few dings I could've avoided had I pulled the trigger earlier. Yes it is an expensive purchase but the peace of mind is worth it.
I have fox shocks with 27 inch tires. My clearance is about 14.5" yet I still bang it pretty often in sketchy terrain. Its one of those "I'd rather have it and not need it" type of things...

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil changes are messy with them installed. At least on the 1000. Not that I care if the bottom is messy or not lol.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As info - I did see someone was offering just a UHMW center skid plate for around $300 on EBay that would be alot better than the stock version. Does everyone agree that you need floor board /tank protection?

Reactions: cruddy0815
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
As info - I did see someone was offering just a UHMW center skid plate for around $300 on EBay that would be alot better than the stock version. Does everyone agree that you need floor board /tank protection?
True the factory one is junk to say the least. Anything that could get damaged bouncing off a rock needs to be protected IMO. Complete coverage is the only way to go... You'll definitely save money in the long run unless you don't plan on trail riding. I still can't believe there are people with these things that don't trail ride Lol.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True the factory one is junk to say the least. Anything that could get damaged bouncing off a rock needs to be protected IMO. Complete coverage is the only way to go... You'll definitely save money in the long run unless you don't plan on trail riding. I still can't believe there are people with these things that don't trail ride Lol.
That's been one interesting part of this whole forum is the diversity of everyones riding style. For right now, I am pretty luck with 2.4 million acres of federal land and roads here in Idaho that I can ride. We have old logging roads, desert fire breaks/roads and even roads that are good enough to pull a 5th wheel trailer that we ride all the time. They're trying to change that, so I am in the process of riding all 2.4 million acres before it's gone.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have to agree though, that a good skip plate either made or bought is a must. Even if, like myself there has only been that one time that I needed it.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's been one interesting part of this whole forum is the diversity of everyones riding style. For right now, I am pretty luck with 2.4 million acres of federal land and roads here in Idaho that I can ride. We have old logging roads, desert fire breaks/roads and even roads that are good enough to pull a 5th wheel trailer that we ride all the time. They're trying to change that, so I am in the process of riding all 2.4 million acres before it's gone.
Yep there are people that use them for a multitude of reasons. That's part of the reason why I chose mine. It isn't pigeon holed into doing one thing. I use it to ride around back roads, trail ride, and ride to the dock from my lake place. I love the versatility and the pros certainly outweigh the cons for me.
Sucks to hear your riding area might go away. I have to drive way further than I'd like to get on a trail. It limits my usage but I sure do have a blast when I go...

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.. so I've done some figuring.

Aluminum = .098 lbs per sq inch
UHMW = .034 lbs per sq inch

Let's say our skids are roughly 62x72

Aluminum skid is 3/16= .1875
UHMW skid is 1/2= .5

Aluminum 62x72x.1875= 837 sq in
837 x .098= 82.0 lbs

UHMW 62x72x.5= 2232 sq in
2232 x .034= 75.8 lbs

So we're talking 6 lbs difference between aluminum vs UHMW.. We all know the property differences. UHMW is self lubricating so it slides better over objects.. but it also flexes more and can crack. Aluminum is much more ridged but can deform and has a tendency to "stick" in certain applications.

Comparing prices.. I was over $1000 to go the UHMW route for skids and a arm guards (I think total was 1100-1200)... aluminum was $750 power coated to my door.

If the need were ever there for a slicker skid.. the aluminum can be skinned with a thin sheet of UHMW like the bottom of an airboat or dump truck bed. I don't foresee the need to, but it's an option. Hope this helps anyone looking to make a future skid purchase. I was indifferent when I started looking.. and actually leaned towards the UHMW. Ultimately a cheaper, more ridged skid was a better fit for me. Regardless of which you prefer or decide on... get something on under there!

For reference a 4'x8' sheet of UHMW is about $300 if someone was going the DIY route.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
For reference a 4'x8' sheet of UHMW is about $300 if someone was going the DIY route.
I priced doing my UHMW and even did a CAD drawing. My buddy and I planned to make a day out of it in the shop. By the time I bought the material needed it was still more money than the S&S. Not to mention all the time it would've taken piecing everything together and figuring out where to place the holes etc. It was a no brainer for me...

Reactions: cruddy0815 and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!