ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I priced doing my UHMW and even did a CAD drawing. My buddy and I planned to make a day out of it in the shop. By the time I bought the material needed it was still more money than the S&S. Not to mention all the time it would've taken piecing everything together and figuring out where to place the holes etc. It was a no brainer for me...

It was a no brainier for me for the exact opposite reason. The center belly is easy as the stock skid plate hits all the holes except the front 4 for the plow bracket. I also avoided making pieces across the width of the machine to prevent getting hung up when transitioning from 1 piece to the next

I didn't make my own a-arm guards due to the compound angle and bend radius but I think I'd give it a shot if I had more material.

Flat layout
IMG 20161230 124150678

Center belly fitup for front mount layout
IMG 20161230 160044336

IMG 20161231 124332310

Side panels. The center belly is 1.5" wider per side than the square tube frame which allows the side panels to be tucked above the center belly. The leading edge of the side panels and the center belly are rolled to protect the wimpy stock rock sliders and square tube frame rails
IMG 20161231 124504316

J

JTW

I priced doing my UHMW and even did a CAD drawing. My buddy and I planned to make a day out of it in the shop. By the time I bought the material needed it was still more money than the S&S. Not to mention all the time it would've taken piecing everything together and figuring out where to place the holes etc. It was a no brainer for me...
That's exactly the conclusion I came to.. I should have laid the aluminum skids out and patterned them though. That would have been handy for anyone wanting to build their own out of either material.

Reactions: cruddy0815
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's exactly the conclusion I came to.. I should have laid the aluminum skids out and patterned them though. That would have been handy for anyone wanting to build their own out of either material.

I have all the hole locations and hole sizes drawn and dimensioned on my full-size layout but I never transfered them to a legit scale drawing. I could easily make another plate in UHMW or aluminum. I had taken dimensions of the machine before I started so the center belly plate was cut to 30x96" and the remnant was cut to 16x96" for use as the side plates.

Reactions: cruddy0815 and JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Understandable, but for me $440 total (for the S&S skid) and less than an hour installation was too good to pass on. If I don't save a significant amount I'll buy and save my time and headache. However, I will say you saved a ton vs a UHMW skid purchased somewhere.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Understandable, but for me $440 total (for the S&S skid) and less than an hour installation was too good to pass on. If I don't save a significant amount I'll buy and save my time and headache. However, I will say you saved a ton vs a UHMW skid purchased somewhere.

The nicest part about UHMW, is it doesn't put much wear on your cutting tools, ha. Just need to cut right the first time or it's a pain to get back to a straight/square edge.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The nicest part about UHMW, is it doesn't put much wear on your cutting tools, ha. Just need to cut right the first time or it's a pain to get back to a straight/square edge.
Yeah I heard that when I was researching. Several said it was very similar to working with wood.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Might be worth applying the top of the skid plate with some kind of waterproofing spray. It might help the mud roll out when you give it a spray or drove through a river. I don't know how long it will last though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

JTW

@cruddy0815

Several have opted for S&S a arm guards.. and UHMW belly.
I went with the whole S&S package.. so far I'm pleased by both.

Reactions: cruddy0815
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@cruddy0815

Several have opted for S&S a arm guards.. and UHMW belly.
I went with the whole S&S package.. so far I'm pleased by both.
Thanks for the update JTW! I'll be researching and most likely trading $ for product!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!