P1000 S&S Skid Plate Install

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I have these skid plates. I like them. But hated the self taping. So I swapped them out for nutserts an real threaded bolts now. A lot better.

Reactions: dotman1 and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have these skid plates. I like them. But hated the self taping. So I swapped them out for nutserts an real threaded bolts now. A lot better.
I know exactly what you mean. Self tappers don't exactly instill the greatest of confidence huh? I can honestly say that all mine are still tight though. Eventually I do plan to do as you did. Just to be sure.

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been looking for a set of skid plates since I purchased the Pioneer 1000-5 but had a hard time swalling the price tag for the current offerings. At this time there are few choices; (1) you can get the honda skid plates (2) you can get the Trail Armor (3) you can now get the S&S fabrication

With option 1, the Honda accessories, they don't provide all that much protection as it is the exact same design as the stock ones (size, location) except they are made of aluminum.

With option 2, the cost is much higher than the Honda option and it has great coverage of the underside. However there are a few reasons I chose to not go this route. This system hangs out into the wheel well in the front and with larger tires, and stock a-arms, trimming is required. Also, This system is the most expensive and is made of plastic. Many people use this and it seems very durable but I am more a fan of metal.

Option 3 is what I purchased and I believe S&S is selling this exact setup for $750 including shipping and the a-arm Guards.

________________ Install Write-up ___________________

First off, this is some thick strong aluminum material, i am not sure on the thickness but believe it is somewhere around 1/4" or slightly thicker? They are manufactured in KY, and he doesn't seem to have a website, just a facebook page.

The first thing I did was lay everything out on the ground to make sure I understood how it all went together and check the installation hardware.

View attachment 11307

The instructions tell you the order to install and also color code the holes with green and red to indicate which holes use the "stock" locations and which ones will require drilling and placement of a self tapping screw. The green is to indicate stock hole locations and red will require drilling.

View attachment 11308

The skid system is made of 4 separate pieces and the order of installation is important. The first piece to install is the largest and is placed directly in the center of the unit (under the front bench area). The "lips" on this peace go toward the front of the unit and rise up into the wheel well very slightly.

View attachment 11309

I will note that the instructions state to use the self tapping screws (1") for all holes but it would be my suggestion (and I called S&S to verify) to use the stock hardware at first, in the green locations, to get everything in place and lined up correctly. Also, I kept the stock hardware in those locations as it seems to hold it great and I could always go back to stock if that was ever desired (yeah right).

The second piece goes directly behind the first and uses the same process as the first one. The bends and whole locations were perfectly aligned and there was no issues

View attachment 11310

The third piece goes behind the first two and goes back under the rear diff.

View attachment 11311

The kit comes with all the hardware in individual bags clearly marked what to use. This system uses the same "kind" of hardware as stock with nice recessed area for the head of the bolt to sit and protect it some. It looks like these were punched out of metal at his shop and not purchased hardware. This isn't bad and in fact it seems to be very thick and durable.

View attachment 11312

View attachment 11313

To place the skids I did not have a lift (I know what my next purchase is going to be for the barn) so I resorted to a dolly to get the skid into position and then crawled under the unit and raised it into place while getting the fist bolt in place. This is another reason using the stock hardware where you can is nice as the threads are there and no drilling or alignment concerns arise.

View attachment 11314

For the holes that are "new" and require the use of the new self tapping screws I pre-drilled the whole first and I will say the metal is either very hard on the frame or my drill bit and arm muscles are weak...

View attachment 11315

When installing the front skid plate you use two large 1" bolts that go into existing threads and I noticed that the skid on the front didn't conform to the Pioneer as well in this location.

View attachment 11316

All it required though was cranking down on those bolts and it sucked the skid right up against the Pioneer easy enough.

View attachment 11317

_________________ A-Arm Skids Install ____________________

For the A-arm skids its very easy to install. I started with the front skids, and there is a bolt that threads in through an existing thread down near the wheel

View attachment 11318

The upper two fasteners are classic u-bolts and are easy although getting hands in there can be challenging at times.

View attachment 11319

Here are the front a-arms installed...I really like how high they go to protect the boots and they have "Honda" engraved into them. He can put whatever you want in them (your name if so desired)...

View attachment 11320

For the rear a-arms two bolts are used and go around a center post and a steal bar acts like a clamp on a u-bolt.

View attachment 11321

Again, everything on these a-arm guards fit great and hardware was very well laid out.

View attachment 11322

Here is a shot of it in place

View attachment 11323
How many new holes did you have to drill in the frame with these? I am wanting to buy these but am concerned if I have to drill a bunch of new holes.

J

JTW

I have been looking for a set of skid plates since I purchased the Pioneer 1000-5 but had a hard time swalling the price tag for the current offerings. At this time there are few choices; (1) you can get the honda skid plates (2) you can get the Trail Armor (3) you can now get the S&S fabrication

With option 1, the Honda accessories, they don't provide all that much protection as it is the exact same design as the stock ones (size, location) except they are made of aluminum.

With option 2, the cost is much higher than the Honda option and it has great coverage of the underside. However there are a few reasons I chose to not go this route. This system hangs out into the wheel well in the front and with larger tires, and stock a-arms, trimming is required. Also, This system is the most expensive and is made of plastic. Many people use this and it seems very durable but I am more a fan of metal.

Option 3 is what I purchased and I believe S&S is selling this exact setup for $750 including shipping and the a-arm Guards.

________________ Install Write-up ___________________

First off, this is some thick strong aluminum material, i am not sure on the thickness but believe it is somewhere around 1/4" or slightly thicker? They are manufactured in KY, and he doesn't seem to have a website, just a facebook page.

The first thing I did was lay everything out on the ground to make sure I understood how it all went together and check the installation hardware.

View attachment 11307

The instructions tell you the order to install and also color code the holes with green and red to indicate which holes use the "stock" locations and which ones will require drilling and placement of a self tapping screw. The green is to indicate stock hole locations and red will require drilling.

View attachment 11308

The skid system is made of 4 separate pieces and the order of installation is important. The first piece to install is the largest and is placed directly in the center of the unit (under the front bench area). The "lips" on this peace go toward the front of the unit and rise up into the wheel well very slightly.

View attachment 11309

I will note that the instructions state to use the self tapping screws (1") for all holes but it would be my suggestion (and I called S&S to verify) to use the stock hardware at first, in the green locations, to get everything in place and lined up correctly. Also, I kept the stock hardware in those locations as it seems to hold it great and I could always go back to stock if that was ever desired (yeah right).

The second piece goes directly behind the first and uses the same process as the first one. The bends and whole locations were perfectly aligned and there was no issues

View attachment 11310

The third piece goes behind the first two and goes back under the rear diff.

View attachment 11311

The kit comes with all the hardware in individual bags clearly marked what to use. This system uses the same "kind" of hardware as stock with nice recessed area for the head of the bolt to sit and protect it some. It looks like these were punched out of metal at his shop and not purchased hardware. This isn't bad and in fact it seems to be very thick and durable.

View attachment 11312

View attachment 11313

To place the skids I did not have a lift (I know what my next purchase is going to be for the barn) so I resorted to a dolly to get the skid into position and then crawled under the unit and raised it into place while getting the fist bolt in place. This is another reason using the stock hardware where you can is nice as the threads are there and no drilling or alignment concerns arise.

View attachment 11314

For the holes that are "new" and require the use of the new self tapping screws I pre-drilled the whole first and I will say the metal is either very hard on the frame or my drill bit and arm muscles are weak...

View attachment 11315

When installing the front skid plate you use two large 1" bolts that go into existing threads and I noticed that the skid on the front didn't conform to the Pioneer as well in this location.

View attachment 11316

All it required though was cranking down on those bolts and it sucked the skid right up against the Pioneer easy enough.

View attachment 11317

_________________ A-Arm Skids Install ____________________

For the A-arm skids its very easy to install. I started with the front skids, and there is a bolt that threads in through an existing thread down near the wheel

View attachment 11318

The upper two fasteners are classic u-bolts and are easy although getting hands in there can be challenging at times.

View attachment 11319

Here are the front a-arms installed...I really like how high they go to protect the boots and they have "Honda" engraved into them. He can put whatever you want in them (your name if so desired)...

View attachment 11320

For the rear a-arms two bolts are used and go around a center post and a steal bar acts like a clamp on a u-bolt.

View attachment 11321

Again, everything on these a-arm guards fit great and hardware was very well laid out.

View attachment 11322

Here is a shot of it in place

View attachment 11323
How are they holding up?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are they holding up?
Haven't seen Marine660 on here in a long time. Last I heard he was considering selling his 1000. I don't remember how many holes it was but not too bad. I got mine not long after him and they are still holding up fine. Very happy with purchase.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!