Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did check their website, it doesn't look like they offer a kit for your specific vehicle. They might be able to throw one together over the phone though.
They are fastener experts, might be worth a phone call to see what they recommend, if they even recommend using their hardware on your application.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Need ones like this.
47207823e9a9ea4a186c05da1f0c17aa

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Let us know what you decided to do. I have read that owners had their original manifolds machined back flat, about .040 and used with no more problems. The problem with new manifolds is the cast iron is “green” and once heated can warp.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
We remove broken manifold and exhaust bolts on a regular basis.

No idea what the mechanic shops use for replacement bolts. Don’t know if it was mentioned. Grade 8 bolts are generally stronger than Stainless bolts. Some Jap crap you never know what it is.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let us know what you decided to do. I have read that owners had their original manifolds machined back flat, about .040 and used with no more problems. The problem with new manifolds is the cast iron is “green” and once heated can warp.
I have decided on this path.
I plan to try and flatten the current one as it is only a few years old.

As a precaution, more so for time saving, I ordered a Daveco (usa) header from RockAuto in case I find it too warped or cracked.

I also ordered upgraded stainless bolts from Rockauto and a gasket.

Should be here this week. Not sure when I'll get them installed tho.

Truck sounds terrible and will stay parked. Lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We remove broken manifold and exhaust bolts on a regular basis.

No idea what the mechanic shops use for replacement bolts. Don’t know if it was mentioned. Grade 8 bolts are generally stronger than Stainless bolts. Some Jap crap you never know what it is.
I can't find any better bolts with the second level bolt for the heat shield attachment. Hopefully these stainless will do.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@Hondasxs What year is your Dodge Ram pickup? An exhaust leak ahead of the catalytic converter output is an emissions issue.

I haven't paid much attention to emissions warranties because I haven't experienced a related problem but I think all manufacturers now provide a 5 year warranty on emission control equipment. Your issue could possibly be under warranty.

Replacing a factory exhaust manifold with a header violates federal emissions rules on vehicles with a catalytic convertor UNLESS the header manufacturer or distributor has obtained an executive order certifying the header. There's a reason for this. Headers typically flow better than exhaust manifolds which alters combustion, fuel burn, and emissions.

Califonia is, of course, the wackiest and most restrictive of all, but their requirement is generally the rule in the democrat-controlled states where emission-testing is a requirement for registration renewal. If your state doesn't test it's not an issue.

Reactions: ChadD and Plumber32
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had not heard of the exhaust manifold and gasket failures on the Chrysler 5.7L hemi engine until I read this thread. Are the trucks experiencing this problem used for towing heavy trailers or other work?

My wife owns a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the hemi V8. Her Jeep only has about 30k miles on the odometer and has probably never been operated at full throttle so it's unlikely to develop the problem but it's a concern now that I know.

Reactions: Plumber32
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I had not heard of the exhaust manifold and gasket failures on the Chrysler 5.7L hemi engine until I read this thread. Are the trucks experiencing this problem used for towing heavy trailers or other work?

My wife owns a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the hemi V8. Her Jeep only has about 30k miles on the odometer and has probably never been operated at full throttle so it's unlikely to develop the problem but it's a concern now that I know.
Seems to be a common issue with hemi motors.
But it's the only real issue I've had. So I'm not complaining.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I guess time will tell. Her Jeep has ben perfect so far and her 2016 Jeep GC with the V6 was perfect at 60k miles except for a radiator seam failure which we heard was common.

If the Jeep develops the same exhaust manifold problem I'll just pay a dealer to replace it with an oem manifold.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would stay away from stainless bolts.There not as strong as a grade 5 and real hard to get out if broken.If the manifold is warped less then.020 have it milled and put it back on unless cracked.Maybe look at the sheild and see if you can bend it some to grab some cool air running down the road.Your truck is probley lean on a hard pull when loaded heavy.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with @john790 , stainless can really gall easily and is hard af to drill out if needed. It would not be my preference.

What ever you do, I recommend chasing the threads on the head with a good quality bottoming tap by hand to clean out any crap in the threads before reinstalling the manifold.

Or…you could always just lay the weld to it lol 😂

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Its ok as long as the tick goes away. When it doesnt there may be bigger problems to address. I had my exhaust manifold on one side done, then I thought it was the others side but tick didnt go away when it warmed up. I ran too long before getting to shop and ended up seizing a bearing on the cam and they couldn't get it to come out of engine. Ended up paying for a new engine at 115k miles. Truck now has over 200k miles. Havent had any other major issues.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I’d roll with the Dormans and sleep well at night. If you wanted too, you could hit the bolts and manifolds with high temp exhaust paint to give them a bit more protection.

But really if it’s corrosion related failure, protecting the manifold from road spray is the best ticket.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honestly I’d roll with the Dormans and sleep well at night. If you wanted too, you could hit the bolts and manifolds with high temp exhaust paint to give them a bit more protection.

But really if it’s corrosion related failure, protecting the manifold from road spray is the best ticket.
It’s not corrosion. It’s a common problem with manifolds warping or cracking.

Reactions: Vikes79 and HBarlow

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!