Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welp... Here I am AGAIN with a HEMI exhaust tick from a broken exhaust manifold bolt.
It had been a light leak for a month or so that usually closed up once hot, but now must have blown the gasket.
2016 with 80k miles, the second time replacing it.
Its the only real problem I've had, so I'm not complaining. I'll take it. lol.

So.. What are my upgrade options?
I want to replace it with something better. Something that will last.

What is this SHORTY kit I read about?

I only need the passage side, so I don't need both sides.
Factory Dorman passenger side is < $100. I can replace it a few more times vs the $500 both sides kit.

Its the bolts that are breaking... So why not get upgraded bolts and stick with the factory headers?

Advice, please.
Thanks.

Aftermarket options I found:

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stick with the factory Dodge manifold. Contact ARP for a better/stronger hardware kit. You can put headers on if you want, but headers you will be chasing leaks for a few dozen heat cycles.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Stick with the factory Dodge manifold. Contact ARP for a better/stronger hardware kit. You can put headers on if you want, but headers you will be chasing leaks for a few dozen heat cycles.
Ditto on ARP studs are the way to go for heads and manifolds their reputation for durability is legendary.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto on ARP studs are the way to go for heads and manifolds their reputation for durability is legendary.
I agree, bolts or studs, they will recommend depending on application.
Stay away from the chinese knock off kits. who knows what you are buying with them.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That was common with the old big block V8 engines used in light trucks for towing in the '70s - '90s. The GM 454, Ford 460, and Dodge 440 broke the exhaust manifold bolts and warped the manifolds.

I think replacing the exhaust manifolds with aftermarket products probably violates federal and state emissions laws. Your state may not care but left coast wackos do. If you're going to modify the exhaust anyway, replace the entire system from manifolds to tailpipes with free-flowing pipes w/o smog crap.

I would try NEOHIO's suggestion in post #9 above. It's a cheaper fix, does not violate emissions laws, and may be a permanent cure. Pull the exhaust manifold and check the sealing surface for warping. If it's warped, mill it, replace the gasket, and install ARP bolts as suggested.

If it warps again with the ARP bolts then it would be time for a more drastic fix.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If it's warped, mill it, replace the gasket, and install ARP bolts as suggested.
I'm considering this over the aftermarket headers. But I will most likely just sand it down if it's not too far off.
I read that correcting the warp is better than replacing it with a new one that will just wrap.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm considering this over the aftermarket headers. But I will most likely just sand it down if it's not too far off.
I read that correcting the warp is better than replacing it with a new one that will just wrap.
If you have a good steel straight edge to lay on the manifold's mating surface, a hardened steel file, and a short length of 2" by 6" to use as a sanding block you may be able to true it up by hand.

I agree with your thinking - if the original manifold warped it's likely a replacement will also.

Reactions: ChadD and NewHere2
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As long as you’re not messing with the cats, O2 sensors etc you aren’t changing anything emissions wise. Perfectly legal to run headers etc all you want anywhere.

I’ve have a few V8 fords, mostly the 97 to 05s had the issue off the passenger side rear or front studs rusting out due to water spray from the wheel wells.

Getting the stud out can be a real bugger especially if it’s broke off flush or below the block deck.

Aftermarket shorty headers do flow more than stock but it’s meaningless without a tuner and maybe an intake…and as said before you’re going to chase leaks likely.

The best luck I’ve had is to replace the exhaust manifold with a new oem one ( likely the old has some burning near the old broken bolt) new, gaskets, hardware and using a extreme heat copper type of sealant on both sides of the gasket.

Not a fan of sanding a warped header….impossible to get it on a flat enough surface with any consistency unless you have a section of known milled flat tool steel laying around.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A 36" flat sanding belt is what I was looking at using if it's not too severe of a warp.

Regarding the ARP bolts. They don't offer the second-level bolt or whatever you call it. (Bolt on top of a bolt)

What about these stainless bolts?
If you have any local machine shop that does auto work like planing heads & brake rotors they typically have a huge belt sander / plane that could do the trick in just a few minutes for probably a decent price. I cannot recommend highly enough of going with genuine ARP bolts studs and your breaking bolt issue will be a memory of the past. These things exceed grade 12 and Temps over 1200 degrees.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!