100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ram pumps are a simple way to move water. Using the power of a creek stream or river.
As I understand it, it can even be utilized from a spring if there’s enough flow and downhill pressure. I read somewhere that this technology was used as early as either the Aztecs or the Egyptian’s. But it wasn’t until 1722 when it came into more of a historical value. Obviously, this is a great mechanism because it uses the pressure of the buildup of the water to move water uphill. These pumps do not require any kind of alternative fuel source to run them. I’ve been using a number of YouTube channels including WranglerStar and Land to House. You can order these parts from the guy land to house but I wasn’t getting my emails answered so quick enough so I went ahead and decided to try and build a system myself using parts from locally sourced hardware stores. Ended up having to go to three different places to find everything I need due to limited supply and shortages.

Here is a picture of what I’ve got so far. The 2 inch short thing on the far right is actually going to be a little bit taller as that is the pressure chamber which will help to force the water up the hill. My ram pump could be a little bit bigger considering I’m currently getting a little bit over 300 gallons per minute but, during the later season of summer and into fall, the water definitely diminishes it’s flow due to farms taking water further upstream for irrigating fields and crops and also due to lack of rain. So instead of doing a much larger pump, I am building on a three-quarter inch pump which is also what I could only get as far as the valves were available. It will pump less water but it will also work in both the higher and lower volumes. The overall use for this project is to pump water out of the creek to a small tower up above my garden beds to utilize the creek water to water my crops versus taking it away from the community springfed water system..

156D734F E9F2 4C05 831D B45D0A213403 DABF75D4 C074 4772 8E96 BD6D6A5EA8D4
CA945E70 2D54 49D6 AC3D 14C58A0D5CBC

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok and here it is all assembled but not yet glued or fully screwed together. I’m experimenting on the height of the pressure tank. I saw a guy did one at 15” on a 1/2” ram pump but being that mine is a 3/4” pump I’m looking at upping it to either 17” -20” tall. It is a 2” diameter pipe . At some point I will list all the parts and sizes needed to build your own. It will start with a 2” pipe wrapped in window screen and with a bunch of holes drilled into it. I’ll place this upstream of the pump at about 30’ distant from the inflow of the pump. From there, I’ll adapt a 3/4” PVC drive line directly into the pump. At the tail end and outflow, I’ll reduce it to 1/2” and run it uphill to the tower using 1/2” irrigation line. If done correctly, it should deliver a little over 700 gallons per day.
Pix aren’t uploading. crepes!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ram pumps are a simple way to move water. Using the power of a creek stream or river.
As I understand it, it can even be utilized from a spring if there’s enough flow and downhill pressure. I read somewhere that this technology was used as early as either the Aztecs or the Egyptian’s. But it wasn’t until 1722 when it came into more of a historical value. Obviously, this is a great mechanism because it uses the pressure of the buildup of the water to move water uphill. These pumps do not require any kind of alternative fuel source to run them. I’ve been using a number of YouTube channels including WranglerStar and Land to House. You can order these parts from the guy land to house but I wasn’t getting my emails answered so quick enough so I went ahead and decided to try and build a system myself using parts from locally sourced hardware stores. Ended up having to go to three different places to find everything I need due to limited supply and shortages.

Here is a picture of what I’ve got so far. The 2 inch short thing on the far right is actually going to be a little bit taller as that is the pressure chamber which will help to force the water up the hill. My ram pump could be a little bit bigger considering I’m currently getting a little bit over 300 gallons per minute but, during the later season of summer and into fall, the water definitely diminishes it’s flow due to farms taking water further upstream for irrigating fields and crops and also due to lack of rain. So instead of doing a much larger pump, I am building on a three-quarter inch pump which is also what I could only get as far as the valves were available. It will pump less water but it will also work in both the higher and lower volumes. The overall use for this project is to pump water out of the creek to a small tower up above my garden beds to utilize the creek water to water my crops versus taking it away from the community springfed water system..

View attachment 340756 View attachment 340758
View attachment 340759
Like this?????

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!