Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What do you plumbers like for a quality electric water heater? My 40 gallon Whirlpool is about 9 years old. It is still doing fine, but I am thinking about a pre-emptive replacement. I like to do these on MY schedule, not when it HAS to be done. Or I would at least like to have the replacement on hand. I don't want a heat pump or anything complicated. Just a good, long lasting water heater. Thanks!
How many in the home, do u have a garden tub, Jacuzzi tub?
fyi, a 50gal electric in theory has the same capacity as a 40gal nat vent cuz of its recovery rate.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
How many in the home, do u have a garden tub, Jacuzzi tub?
fyi, a 50gal electric in theory has the same capacity as a 40gal nat vent cuz of its recovery rate.
Just us 2 old timers in the house. One bath, laundry mostly done in cold water. We have never run out of hot water with the existing 40 gal tank. No gas on the property.

And we lived in our motorhome for 10 years. Even the 10 gallon WH was enough that we almost never ran out of hot water.

Thanks to all!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just us 2 old timers in the house. One bath, laundry mostly done in cold water. We have never run out of hot water with the existing 40 gal tank. No gas on the property.

And we lived in our motorhome for 10 years. Even the 10 gallon WH was enough that we almost never ran out of hot water.

Thanks to all!
I shower in cold water most of the time.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
So, my EASY choices are:
Rheem at Home Depot- $379
AO Smith at Lowes- $419
Both are 40 gallon, 4500 watts, 6 year warranty.
Both have a number of reviews mentioning leaks around the factory installed temp/pressure relief valve. Lots of dents with the AO Smith. Some leaks around the elements on the Rheem. Seems like typical modern manufacturing sloppiness with both. :confused:

Thanks!

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If you have a smaller home with two showers and know how to stager shower times, 40 gal elect. is fine. Electric water heaters are 100% efficient yet the most costly way to heat water. If you do an addition, like adding a masters bath and bed room with a soaker tub, think real hard about a tankless gas water heater1

We sell Navien. Haven't sold a bunch of them, but so far, never had an issue with one.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And, BTW, we've been told water heaters are fixing to go up a bunch, possibly 100 bucks on the 40 and 50 electric Rheems.
We are all feeling the crunch, the same condenser and evaporator coils I was buying in May have went up 8-12% and show no sign of going back down or having dependable stock.

Last edited:
Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We sell Navien. Haven't sold a bunch of them, but so far, never had an issue with one.
We also sell and install navien, we have had good luck with them. On another note, we have been waiting over two months for a underground pressure tank. There are none in captivity. I did locate one on Amazon,a well-x-trol 202 for 575.00. We pay 350.00 from the wholesaler.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, my EASY choices are:
Rheem at Home Depot- $379
AO Smith at Lowes- $419
Both are 40 gallon, 4500 watts, 6 year warranty.
Both have a number of reviews mentioning leaks around the factory installed temp/pressure relief valve. Lots of dents with the AO Smith. Some leaks around the elements on the Rheem. Seems like typical modern manufacturing sloppiness with both. :confused:

Thanks!
The one from home depot should be just fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!