Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Got some more work done on the still yet to be named P1K5 last night:

Installed the PBR switchplate/cupholder combo, installed dual voltmeter, installed switch filler plates (for now) and began installing Boss stereo head unit

(No, plate not yet permanently secured; yes, dual voltmeter slightly rotated in this pic :) )

Swapped out my temp 10AWG cables (battery/relay, relay/fuse box, relay/positive bus, and fuse box/negative bus) with hearty 4AWG cables. Cut out slots @ bottom of battery box and used thick, stiff 2' Velcro strip to secure aux battery from finding it's way out of the battery box. Tidied up a bunch of the wiring under the hood (gotta love zip ties). Still have a ton of room under the hood for all kinds of goodies.

Gosh, I LOVE this new right-angle drill accessory:

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Enough of buying crap to install in/on the P1K5 ... time for something to put it in ... ;)

Picking it up tomorrow. 2022 Lightning LTF714TA2 7x14 +12" all aluminum w/Strike and Ramp package.

Yes, I know I'll only have about 1.5' to split between the sides and I may have to bust out some limber moves to get in and out, but I *really* don't want anything wider than 7'.

Guess I have to add a few things to my Pioneer-centric to-do list: Floor, e-track, etc.. Sigh.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well, wasn't that fun. Sigh.

Installed the BOSS MPWT60 weatherproof marine stereo receiver as well as the BOSS MPWT60 Roll Cage waketower speaker pods. The stereo receiver does Bluetooth, USB, MP3, AM/FM, and NOAA weather. Sounds pretty good even without an amp, actually. Love that I can stream SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify and others.

Ran all the speaker wire through wire loom and tucked most of it under the seat. Since I was going to be on my back, swearing and complaining and running wire loom towards the back of the machine, I included an extra 16AWG red/black pair that continued past the middle of the machine all the way to the rear, then up the ROPS to the top. This will be for my 12V backup lights once I decide what's going back there. All wire loomed, of course.

Those BOSS cage pod speakers are an absolute bear to install (the clamps could afford to be just a wee bit bigger to make it just a little easier to get all the bolts threaded. Eventually got them, though. I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Mounted the switch for the Badland ZXR5000 winch in the PBR plate, although I'm sure I'll switch it out once I decide which series (and color) of switches I'll be picking up from OTRATTW.NET.

It think the last few things I have to purchase and install are some LED light bars and cubes (likely RC stuff) and the cabin heater (likely an Inferno). Maybe tomorrow I'll find time to install the CEC Enclosures full cabin enclosure and my SATV side mirrors.

Need to finalize what my layout for the e-Track in the new trailer is going to be, then get that stuff ordered up from USCC.

Still work to do, but a bunch of it is behind me. Slowly but surely getting there.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Installed the CEC Enclosures enclosure tonight. Not totally sold on it, but we shall see. Initial impressions, I give it an 8 out of 10. Most everything went OK. One of the two thin straps on the very outside ends of the rear panel doesn't seem like it's where it should be. The panel is completely centered, yet I can't get one of the two outer straps around the clamp on the Honda OEM roof. From what I've seen so far, I can't move the clamp side to side, so ... :/

Also installed the SuperATV side view mirrors. I don't think these are going to work for me, especially with the enclosure, due to their vertical orientation. Time to check out some Seizmik mirrors, I suppose.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Ordered the 12" LED front light bar from the HondaSXS Club Store last night, as well as the AUX battery key-on rocker switch (decided I'm going with green for my switch LEDs).

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If anybody is looking to pick up a new tablet for GPS mapping, Costco just added a bunch of stuff to their Black Friday sales (in store and online).

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" 64GB tablet plus an additional 64GB MicroSD card, for $159.99 plus tax and shipping. That's $100 off their normal price.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Green LED dual voltmeter and USB QC3.0 dual socket chargers w/green LED ordered.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
OK, let's see what's been ordered in the last couple of days:

1. Ice Crusher Heater Kit w/In Cab Heat Control Option and ... instead of the MaxStat option, I ordered what Coupers Products is now going to start offering INSTEAD of the MaxStat: A water pump that circulates the coolant ALL the time, not just when the thermostat is open or the vehicle is fully up to temp. They are also including some extra 2" flexible duct vent so I can try to relocate the two center vents that I won't be able to use due to my PBR Products dash switch plate/cupholder combo that's installed where the "Warning" placard used to be.

2. eTrack components for the new enclosed trailer (four 8' sections, two 5' sections, end caps, bolts/nuts/washers for bolt thru and some self-tapping screws for securing to the aluminum floor cross members (all aluminum trailer)).

3. Six Auxbeam pods (two 4" side shooter spot/flood combos for the front pillars, two 4" floods for the rear and two 4" floods for the sides), mount clamps (thanks, @Remington), plus a replenishment for my wire, connectors, heat shrink, etc..

4. Rear view mirror (side views don't work well with the CEC Enclosure).

5. Honda P1K Oil Change Kit (for my 100 mile service)

I still have to order a couple of the Erikson wheel chocks for eTrack and four Erikson 2" x 12' (maybe 2" x 16', as they are actually less expensive right now) ratchet straps, but not a top priority.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The said part is: I have to uninstall ALL of the work I've done recently for the dual battery setup, fuse box, bus bars, etc., in order to remove the entire front clip off the P1K5 in order to install the Ice Crusher heater. Sigh. But ... it should be worth it in the end.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Some of the major factors involved in determining what accessories I have or are adding are below. In no particular order:

1. For the first time in my recollection, my better half gave me the complete go-ahead to get this bike ready (for our first couple of trips, likely northern lower peninsula here in MI) which will include taking our best friends along with us. "Do whatever it takes to get it ready" were her exact words. Yes! Our best friends (husband & wife team as well) lived across the street from us for ~15 years before we moved to a lake last year, then proceeded to buy the piece of property next door to us and are building a house there now. They plan on getting a Pioneer as well as soon as the whole house thing is wrapped up. These rides will be more leisurely than future rides for a variety of reasons, but the main one being that the ladies aren't looking for full-on crawling or extreme mudding. I'm OK with that, as it will give me a couple of rides under my belt to accommodate myself with the P1K5 and make sure things are working correctly before spring/summer and the TO. Over the many years, it's always been ME doing the trips and such, as the wife wasn't much of a fan of motorcycles. With the SXS, the wife is actually geeked about doing these things with me, so I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

2. Despite this being my first SXS, it's far from my first powersports machine. As such, I've lost count (machines, dollars, accessories, etc.) of all the farkling I've done to my many machines over the decades. As a result, I've learned many (not all, but many) of the things I DO like as well as what I DON'T like. Most of what I've done thus far can be categorized as things I know I/we will NEED, while some are WANTS/LIKES or, quite frankly, things I didn't do to other machines in years past that I later regretted.

3. "Sometimes you gotta say "What the F*ck", make your move. Joel, every now and then, saying "What the F*ck", brings freedom. Freedom brings opportunity, opportunity makes your future." - Miles Dalby (Curtis Armstong) to Joel Goodson (Tom Cruise) in the movie Risky Business, 1983. Not only am I not getting any younger, I'm sorta living on borrowed time. Nearly 10 years ago, I was on a motorcycle trip (on one of those aforementioned well-farkled two-wheeled machines, that one a 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14) and got whacked by a car that was doing 70MPH while I was sitting still. Ripped my leg clean off. I should have died right there, but I saved my own life (made a tourniquet out of my $8 Walmart raincoat I had on over my full leathers). Had the meth head, hit-and-run '92 Buick driver been 6" further to the right, I'd be dead for sure. So the way I look at it: Why not live life to the fullest? You never know when your ticket is going to get punched.

4. Ok, Ok, I can be a little bit obsessive. When I get to doing something, I'm in it 110%. That's just the way I am wired.

I'm planning on leaving plenty of meat on the P1K5 bone until AFTER we put a bunch of miles and trips on. I'm not jumping into lifts, long travel kits, big tires and beadlocks, etc.. I think that is the kind of stuff that is better postponed until after I determine where and how I'm going to ride. But the stuff I've done thus far, from dual batteries to stereos to enclosures, are things I already know I'll be doing sooner or later.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Got a couple week wait for delivery, but I ordered the Trail Armor full skid plate set and the Trail Armor iMpact A-Arm Guards.

Oh, and I ordered a vent kit from @Bayouownbeer -- danke!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well that sucks.

Spent a good 2 days installing this entire heater kit. You have to disassemble and remove the entire front clip.

I was meticulous about everything. Perfect cuts, not too close to other things, etc..

The damn heater is leaking *inside* of the unit. Not a drop at any of my splices and Y connectors.

Had to re-remove the entire front clip in order to remove the heater unit. That was after removing 3/4 of the front cab (floor, seat, plastic surrounding the seat, etc.). A 12 hour marathon day today. :(

I'll be emailing them tomorrow to let them know they need to ship me a new heater unit.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I had to pretty much reassemble it to test it. I didn't want to play games with hooking up a battery with the big jumble of wires and such under the dash.

I was confident all my splicing and clamping. In fact, all of that was perfectly fine, as I ran the bike for quite a bit without issue. Then I realized the flow control valve (essentially a shutoff valve for the heater unit that could be operated from the cab) was closed. A minute or so after I opened it and pushed coolant to the heater unit, it starter dripping under the bike.

I confirmed none of my splices nor the new electric water pump were leaking. I couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from, so I pulled the front floor and seat area apart. No dice. So I had to disassemble the front again. That's when I was able to determine the heater core was leaking inside the unit.

So I had to remove the heater (I knew I would have to do this sooner or later to replace it), reversing yet more work.

So thus far, I have invested:

A few hours on THU disassembling the front clip while waiting for the heater to arrive.

A good 4-5 hours FRI getting all the duct installed and drilling/sawing holes in the dash and cabin area (not an easy job when you have big hands needing to go in small places).

Another 11-12 hours yesterday completing all the coolant related tasks, installing all electrical, reassembling the bike, finding a leak, then disassembling the floor and bench area and (again) the front clip, ultimately locating the leaking heater unit and (finally) removing it.

I've had about 4 hours of sleep after being awake 24 hours ... not happy.

We were going to take the bike north for a weekend in a couple weeks, but this has ended that thought with my bike in 50 pieces around the pole barn and a bad taste in my mouth (and not just from coolant).

I'll email them today and hopefully they will ship out another heater unit ASAP. Maybe I will be able to salvage the planned outing ... we shall see.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Scott @ UTV Heaters is shipping out a replacement heater unit and some ancillary components overnight. Can't say enough about this company and their customer service - truly exceptional.

Despite the issue with the heater core itself, I'm still in a good place with this.

Here are a few more pics from the adventure - the coolant lines and such. Again, this one is NOT a plug-and-play install (nor did I expect it to be).

Oil cooler bypass Y connector install (there is a second Y connector in the lower radiator hose for the return, but I didn't get a pic of that).
2021 11 27 160557

5/8" hose connecting to oil cooler bypass (to electric water pump):
2021 11 27 162400

Electric water pump and mounting plate:
2021 11 27 184740

From electric water pump to in-dash heater unit (input):
2021 11 27 182348

Refreshments to keep me motivated:
2021 11 27 190410

Coolant flow control valve (other end = knob in dash next to blower speed knob)

Finally, this is the heater unit AFTER I determined it had a leak inside of it (can't see from the pic), right before I removed it to prepare for installing the new one.
2021 11 28 043518

Reactions: Lady01 and StewB
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This is my brand new 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with ~60 total miles on it ... :oops: 😆

2021 11 29 194649

2021 11 29 194658

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!