Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Scott @ UTV Heaters is shipping out a replacement heater unit and some ancillary components overnight. Can't say enough about this company and their customer service - truly exceptional.

Less than 21 hours after I talked to Scott to discuss the situation, the replacement unit was delivered to my door from nearly 700 miles away. I can't say enough about Couper's Products customer service!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Just got an update on my backordered (front) Fox QS3 shocks from Ron Ayers.

The update is: There is no update.

Still on backorder, still NO date from Honda when they will ship.

@#$%

• Sad
Reactions: Lady01 and Prntckt
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see this thing back together and in one piece ...

20211204 221044

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Just finished up last night. Suffice it to say, the install (sans leak) was no walk in the park. I expected it to be a lot of work, and it didn't disappoint.

I couldn't install the two vents that would normally be located in the warning plate area, as I have a PBR Products dash plate with cut outs for switches, voltmeter and radio. My choices were to cap it off and not use it or try to run elsewhere. The challenge with relocating the vents is that there is very little room left to run duct work, no place to cut the hole(s) on the dash and limited space in front of the heater to be able to do it. I ended up cutting a 2" hole in the area wherr the factory 12v receptacle was (the heater installs right behind there, so you have to remove it and put a rubber cap in it, which is provided with the heater kit). I had about 2" to work in to connect the duct, zip tie it and run it thru the hole I cut out. Not easy. The rest of the duct work installed as it should, but BOY is it a tight fit routing some of it! The instructions don't detail exactly HOW to route it, so that was a challenge.

Coolant line splicing for the Y connectors was OK, other than very little room to clamp, cut and install them, most significantly the one at the oil cooler bypass location. I bought the optional clamps (to pinch coolant lines so you don't have to drain the system), but I ended up using some needle nose Vice-Grips at that tight location.

Coupers Products actually sold me a new option they are going to replace the Max Stat option with: an electric water pump (it's from a Toyota Prius). It circulates coolant (especially at idle) through the heater even when the engine thermostat is closed. It installs under the drivers seat (mounting plate mounts to the two aluminum coolant lines that go to the front of the vehicle). I had to drop the front OEM skid plate (soon to be replaced with Trail Armor) in order to tighten the nuts & bolts and for that. Otherwise, it was OK.

Fitting the heater up under the dash was a challenge. Remove (optionally relocate) the 12v outlet. The heater slides up in that otherwise unused space, but it's a tight fit. For newer model year Pioneers, you have to drill the "alternate mounting holes", as the hard plastic engine air intake doesn't allow the standard mount holes to be drilled. This results in the unit not being square, but canted about 5 degrees. It all worked out, you just have to decide which mount holes to use before you drill then (I did).

The fan switch and (optional) flow control valve were difficult to install, as you had to get your hands in yet another tight location behind the dash. The flow control valve is an old school cable driven valve, which kinds limits where you install it (the covered cable isn't terribly flexible). Again, as expected, but a bit difficult nonetheless.

Having to remove the front clip to do the install wasn't too bad. As many times as I R&R'd it due to the leaking heater core, I can do it in my sleep. What made it more of a challenge was that I already installed a second battery, relay, isolator, fuse block and winch. Each time I removed or replaced the clip, I had to contend with all that. Advice: Install any in-dash heater BEFORE doing the dual battery setup.

I made the install even more challenging: The dash vents assume the standard dash. I previously added the Honda OEM under dash storage. I had to cut out holes in THAT storage panel for three 2" vents and the 1"x4" plate that the fan switch knob and flow control valve knob are mounted to.

Others have said THIS heater was about a 12 beer install. Without the flow control valve, without having to reroute one of the three ducts, without having to contend with a leaking heater core that required me to disassemble and reassemble the front end twice (and remove and replace all the plastic in the cab floor and seat front looking for a leak that wasn't there), and without having to undo and redo my aforementioned dual battery/relay/isolator/fuse block/winch wiring, I'd say that it was an easy 12-15 hour job.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Trail Armor full skids and A-Arm guards arrived today.

Reactions: Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Just got an update on my backordered (front) Fox QS3 shocks from Ron Ayers.

The update is: There is no update.

Still on backorder, still NO date from Honda when they will ship.
More bad news from Ron Ayers: Honda did NOT receive any of the front shocks (for the Pioneer 1000) with their last shipment from Fox on 09 DEC 2021. The next shipment from Fox to Honda is scheduled for 02 JAN 2022, but even then, nobody has any idea WHAT products Fox will ship and absolutely no guarantee that any will be the front shocks for my P1K5 ... :(

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Received my shifter covers (and an extra set of the rubber backings) from RAD Customs today. Look great! Will be installing later today (hopefully).

Also trying a different rear view mirror in hopes that this one fits without the clamp interfering with the operation of the SuperATV flip-up windshield (thanks @RobSparre).

Finally, picked up a small 12v dimmer and some green LED light strips. Going to install those under the front dash to create some ambient lighting in the floor area.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Initial feedback on RAD Customs shifter covers is 8/10. Time will tell as I use it to see how well it holds up.

Rear view mirror fits great. Glad it only took two different models to find one that fit and that I like.

Reactions: Prntckt and Lady01
advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I ordered a second set of rubber strips with mine. Going to use them as templates to make more from various material to see how it goes, likely with larger cuts where the shifter will live most of the time (park and high, as well as turf mode). We shall see.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
More bad news from Ron Ayers: Honda did NOT receive any of the front shocks (for the Pioneer 1000) with their last shipment from Fox on 09 DEC 2021. The next shipment from Fox to Honda is scheduled for 02 JAN 2022, but even then, nobody has any idea WHAT products Fox will ship and absolutely no guarantee that any will be the front shocks for my P1K5 ... :(

Another update ... and more bad news. Ron Ayers emailed me two days ago:

As of today (1/5/22), Honda (American Honda Motor Company, not the dealership) has NOT received a shipment from FOX for the backorder shock sets. The Honda rep is trying to get a date form FOX but did not have any word as of 12:00PM on Jan 5th.

In a subsequent email that same day, he said:

As of this morning they did not see any (of the front shocks for the 1000-5 Deluxe) in the shipping queue that Honda is set to receive for this week so Fox has missed it's Dec and Jan due dates to Honda for this part

So .. the wait continues. Arrgh.

Oh, and guess what? If you order today, not only will the fronts be on B/O with no expected arrival date, but the REAR shocks will also be on B/O.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If I have to get fronts from somewhere else, the price increase will likely be enough to push me to consider Elkas or different.

And if I take the rears, I can't cancel the remainder of the original order (fronts) without having to pay a restocking fee, which only adds to the overall cost of buying elsewhere - again, providing even more incentive to go with a better shock.

I maintain regular email communication with the same guy @ Ron Ayers. He assures me my rears are there on the shelf with my name on them.

I've already paid for all of the shocks, so I have faith that they will not sell them out from under me.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Posted these in another thread, but want to keep this up to date.

Wired up my key-on/AUX 10 pin switch so I can run my accessories without the ignition on.

2022 08 21 154836

Also finished adding the Genius2D direct mount battery charger and AC port.

2022 08 21 171438
2022 08 21 171454
2022 08 21 171508

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Also in the process of ordering some Carling V-Series switches to replace the mishmash of what's there now (some came with the accessory I installed, others are just placeholders).

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The Lightning enclosed trailer was going to be replaced regardless. It was too narrow (should have done better due diligence before I bought it). I need some room to get in/out of the bike once inside the trailer OR a trailer with an side escape door. Or I might forego the enclosed and just get a nice, lightweight aluminum open trailer. Don't quite know yet. Honestly, I got what I paid for it back out of it, so no loss.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well, if there was any question whether or not I'm keeping the P1K5, this should clear that up.

Last fall, I ordered a set of the Fox QS3's from RonAyers.com. Like others, I waited. And waited. And waited. Month after month. I finally gave up and cancelled right before TO, as I wasn't going to be able to get them in time. Then other things happened, and we weren't able to make the TO.

Regardless, I reached out to our friend Allen @ RonAyers today. He has three (now two) available sets of the QS3's for the rear of the 1000-5 in stock @ the store. While 10+ months later they have still NOT received any front QS3's for the 1000-5 from Fox, he does have 10+ sets of the fronts for the 1000-3 available from Honda right now. My understanding is that only the springs are different.

After exchanging numerous DMs with fellow forum member @WagginTail, I went ahead and ordered the 1000-5 rears, the 1000-3 fronts, and Viper linear springs (250 front/300 rear) to swap out as soon as I get them.

While there is the added expense of the springs (~$311 delivered), there are a couple of silver linings. One, the linear springs should be a big improvement over the OEM progressive springs that come on these Fox shocks (or so I read). Second, the price for the shocks from RonAyers was the exact same amount I was going to pay last fall. So, for a few hundred bucks more than their stellar price of $1,383.92 OTD to MI, I'll be in a better place overall.

@WagginTail, thanks again for the 411 on everything. First beer's on me. Maybe two. :)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Replaced the cheap HF 6 pin winch switch with the OTRATTW version (thanks, @Hondasxs). Just waiting on the others from OTRATTW with the custom lettering.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Viper springs delivering today. Fox QS3 shocks delivering TUE. Spring compressor tool in hand. Should be fun.

Update:
20220827 153254

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Must be electrical day.

Replaced the rest of the Chinese switches with Carling Contura V-Series, and some blanks instead of the unconnected Nilights used as fillers. Upper and lower LEDs working as designed.

20220827 185912

Also, the dimmer to the right of the PBR plate controls six 8" LED strips installed underneath the storage tray (footwell area).

20220827 185945

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!