P1000 Seat heat and frame failure solved!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hmmmm... Interesting. My rig was set up by my dealer, including the rear panel. I had to correct a couple other screw-ups that they made on the accessories for the machine. I felt and looked around between the interior of the panel and the cage to see if there was anything creating a space between them that was pushing the panel out. I didn't see anything and that part of the panel is really rigid. No room for flexing. I didn't get the instruction sheet to see if it was done correctly. Do you (or anyone else) know where I can get a copy of installation instructions for this panel? It may not be Honda's oversight but rather a dealership oversight. And thank you for an helpful response!!!

I think it can be found on the Honda website. Also, it's provided to lifetime members on this forum.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 47141
I took this off a few months back to relieve the heat issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad that this worked for you but it had the opposite effect on mine. It made the heat pour into the cockpit worse than ever before and from places that it never had before. It is obvious that the type of accessories that are installed on your machine will effect what works best for your specific machine. I found so far that leaving the top half of the Honda 2 piece tilting windshield installed and removing the bottom half during hot weather gives me the best results. It works well even during slow speed riding ( Between 10- 15 mph) and by leaving the top portion installed you still have some protection to your head and face from bugs, limbs and debris being thrown up from riders in front of you.
I have the Honda Hard roof, Trail armor skids, Honda hard rear panel. On my machine removing the plastic shroud that you show in your post also caused the front of the dump bed on my machine to get so hot that you could not leave your hand on it for long. I am positive that riding around with the shroud off for long would have warped the bed plastics.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would like to mention that the amount of air coming into the cockpit with the bottom portion of the windshield removed is huge. This air (on my machine anyways) slams into the rear hard panel and in return causes a positive pressure in the cockpit. This positive pressure is what you will need to accomplish in order to rid the cockpit of the engine heat. (Dust also)
I used to build and fly large and small scale model aircraft for a hobby and I can tell you that having the proper entrance and exit holes cut into the cowling of your airplane would mean the difference between a predictable throttle response and terrible unpredictable throttle response. Not to mention the possibility of over heating the planes engine and it locking up. There is some science behind getting the air to flow correctly through these machines to achieve what you are trying to achieve. Just be patient and try different things without hacking the machine up. You might find that you have to reverse your last mod and try something different. If you have taken the drill and saw to the parts you need to put back then you will be blowing a lot of money.

C

Chet

Jun 23, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks so much for taking the time to check into that and reply! That actually eases my mind a bit. I was worried that it was suppoed to be a 1/2" gap or something! As you can imagine, when it was new, I had no reason to pay attention to the gap. Mine wouldn't hit at all when new but it must have been very very close. Now I think my frame is ok. It just needed to stretch and settle. But why...OH WHYYY.. would Honda design it that way???!!! I'm convinced--- There was absolutely zero real world testing done during developement of this model.
Here's my fix. I'm gonna put the front of the bed back on and trace along the metal frame under the top lip that catches the window with a silver sharpie and then remove it and cut it. That'll open up an inch or so gap. I'll make a note of the gap when done to keep track of my frame health. Thanks again sir!!
When I purchased my P1000 the dealer told me that if I bought the hard panel for the back that I would need to trim the front panel of the bed. My answer was to purchase the vinyl back panel instead. Trimming a new bed seemed odd to me!

Reactions: 0860silverado
pgiannetto65

pgiannetto65

Dec 19, 2015
Glad that this worked for you but it had the opposite effect on mine. It made the heat pour into the cockpit worse than ever before and from places that it never had before. It is obvious that the type of accessories that are installed on your machine will effect what works best for your specific machine. I found so far that leaving the top half of the Honda 2 piece tilting windshield installed and removing the bottom half during hot weather gives me the best results. It works well even during slow speed riding ( Between 10- 15 mph) and by leaving the top portion installed you still have some protection to your head and face from bugs, limbs and debris being thrown up from riders in front of you.
I have the Honda Hard roof, Trail armor skids, Honda hard rear panel. On my machine removing the plastic shroud that you show in your post also caused the front of the dump bed on my machine to get so hot that you could not leave your hand on it for long. I am positive that riding around with the shroud off for long would have warped the bed plastics.

I have roof, split windshield, and hard rear panel. I have no problem with heat as I use to. I also in the beginning checked my bed all the time and no heat. Today it was 100 and I rode around my ranch for 2 hours and it was just fine. Sorry it's not working for you. Maybe the skids are holding heat in???

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have roof, split windshield, and hard rear panel. I have no problem with heat as I use to. I also in the beginning checked my bed all the time and no heat. Today it was 100 and I rode around my ranch for 2 hours and it was just fine. Sorry it's not working for you. Maybe the skids are holding heat in???

You are most likely correct about the skids holding the heat in. I have the 1/2 inch thick Trail Armor skids and have noticed that where the exhaust pipe is nearest to the skids on the passenger side in front of the rear tire they are warping because of the heat. I will try to get a picture of this and post it. The bottom line is we will all have to experiment and see what works best for our machines with the way that we have them set up. Posting this info will be helpful to everyone.

Reactions: pgiannetto65

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!