P500 Securing my P500 on the trailer for transport

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
My trailer is 5'6" x 10" with 2x6 flooring. Big enough. I hauled "Scooter" to my deer lease and had no real issues.

But I was only able to put a ratchet strap across the "winch area" up front. Where should I strap it down in back? Once I get a hitch, I suppose that would be a good thing to tie down to, but I read it's only good for 100# of tounge weight.

I put the manual brake on, but the P500 seemed to rock front to back a little more than I'd like. I had the manual parking brake on:
- Supposed to you leave it in "drive" or put it in "neutral"?
- Do you put wheel chocks on all 4-tires?

Thougts appreciated.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wheel nets are the way to go. Your suspension can, and will, flex freely. Since the wheels are secure to the trailer, it ain’t going anywhere.
Tying down any other way, when your suspension flexes the straps go loose, then bang tight again. Or they can go loose and a hook slip off, then you have a real problem.
Tie it down like your life depends on it, because it just might.
I put mine in neutral with Hillbilly Brake engaged. I don’t want the weight of the machine banging against the parking pawl over and over again.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have an enclosed trailer now but I had the same size open trailer that you have. Best way I've found is using the strap chocks for the front. Allows suspension to move but doesn't affect the machine being secured. They're quick and easy, load and unload time reduced a lot and the machine is always in the same place on the trailer. I use retractable's on the rear just to ensure it doesn't bounce around and end up against a sidewall.

Trailer with P5Cargo Buckles

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply.

Hillbilly Brake = Manual parking brake????

Do you put a wheel net on 1 wheel, 2, or all 4?
Hillbilly Brake is a gizmo that locks your brake pedal down. If you have a manual parking brake, you don’t need the HB. P1000 don’t come with a parking brake 🤔
I use 4 wheel nets. If you wreck, you want the machine to stay on the trailer no matter what. You DO NOT want it in the front seat with you. Or in somebody else’s front seat.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My trailer is 5'6" x 10" with 2x6 flooring. Big enough. I hauled "Scooter" to my deer lease and had no real issues.

But I was only able to put a ratchet strap across the "winch area" up front. Where should I strap it down in back? Once I get a hitch, I suppose that would be a good thing to tie down to, but I read it's only good for 100# of tounge weight.

I put the manual brake on, but the P500 seemed to rock front to back a little more than I'd like. I had the manual parking brake on:
- Supposed to you leave it in "drive" or put it in "neutral"?
- Do you put wheel chocks on all 4-tires?

Thougts appreciated.
This is all u need
Erickson 09160 Wheel Chock Tie-Down Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CJICIK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
My recommendation, if you plan on occasionally hauling other stuff and want to be able to strap stuff down all over the trailer, is get some E-track, screw it in with a bunch of deck screws (since you already have the wood flooring).
Like others said, leave machine in Neutral, pull the parking break. I strap down each tire, and zip-tie off the extra.
The wheel-chock version is easier and probably a bit faster to strap the machine down, but I've hauled a buncha stuff and have no problems strapping down odd-sized things.

PXL 20220401 163644944MP
PXL 20220605 185114512MP2

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My recommendation, if you plan on occasionally hauling other stuff and want to be able to strap stuff down all over the trailer, is get some E-track, screw it in with a bunch of deck screws (since you already have the wood flooring).
Like others said, leave machine in Neutral, pull the parking break. I strap down each tire, and zip-tie off the extra.
The wheel-chock version is easier and probably a bit faster to strap the machine down, but I've hauled a buncha stuff and have no problems strapping down odd-sized things.

View attachment 342186View attachment 342187
Instead of zip ties try this. I do mine a little shorter than he did though

D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
There's different ways to do it but you always want FOUR tie downs with front wheel chocks anchored to the floor. If you tie down the frame instead of the wheels, do NOT cross the straps.

You're tying it down for the worst case scenario, not just 'good enough' to get it there!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You putting in some flower beds?

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
You putting in some flower beds?
Setting up an offroading park at the neighbors house... Just don't tell him! 🤣 🤣

The city is re-paving the roads in our area, and decided it was a good time to redo our watermain lines as well. Started in mid-May, they told us it should be done this week or next.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I strap down all 4 wheels and use quality straps. amazes me how many people strap down a $10-$20K machine with the cheapest harbor freight or wal mart straps they can find. They will not survive a wreck, and sometimes a big pot hole. Got a flat tire from a broken strap off of SXS going to the local offroad park last month.

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Appreicate all the suggestions. Looked and read about the various options you've educated me on, and now have a question. What about the e-track systems? Do the rather narrow UTV tires ever tend to "slip off" the tracks? Is it easy to get all 4 tires on the tracks when loading?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Appreicate all the suggestions. Looked and read about the various options you've educated me on, and now have a question. What about the e-track systems? Do the rather narrow UTV tires ever tend to "slip off" the tracks? Is it easy to get all 4 tires on the tracks when loading?

That e-track only sticks up about a 1/2" so you won't slip off. You'd be the one installing them as well so, if you do proper spacing, getting all four on it when loading isn't a problem.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Part of that depends on the spacing of the boards with the layout of your trailer. On mine, it worked out so where my tires line up is right between 2 of the boards, so I had enough space to move it around a little and get everything centered.

After a couple times loading, you'll be able to get it on and lined up pretty easy.
I strap mine tight enough so the tires (at 6-8psi) start to compress. Took it nearly 1000miles last month to the Pioneer TakeOver event, and it never budged.

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500

measured my tires. Center to center on the front tires is 41 1/2". The back is 40 1/2". So a single long rail on each side could not centered on both front and back tires. Might that be problematic? And those long rails are pricey!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!