jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Whatever works for you but I can only assume that these guys know more about it than we do?

View attachment 138313

It's six in one, half a dozen the other. Honda manual says use tie down points on frame. How will all those motocross guys keep from losing their bikes tying to the handle bars? They have WAY more travel and softer suspension than a P500.

Tractor guys argue straps vs chains. It never ends. Anybody with a product to sell can talk about why theirs is the best and the others are not right. I use my trailer for other stuff, so I'm not bolting wheel chocks down. for that matter, wheel chocks are a wast of money based on the truck photo. Wonder if truckers argue over bonnets vs single strap? It's mostly perception than real difference here, IMO. Which is exactly why you'll get millions of opinions on such a minutia subject.

Reactions: rtn001 and trigger
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It's six in one, half a dozen the other. Honda manual says use tie down points on frame. How will all those motocross guys keep from losing their bikes tying to the handle bars? They have WAY more travel and softer suspension than a P500.

Tractor guys argue straps vs chains. It never ends. Anybody with a product to sell can talk about why theirs is the best and the others are not right. I use my trailer for other stuff, so I'm not bolting wheel chocks down. for that matter, wheel chocks are a wast of money based on the truck photo. Wonder if truckers argue over bonnets vs single strap? It's mostly perception than real difference here, IMO. Which is exactly why you'll get millions of opinions on such a minutia subject.

Answer to you bike question:
Redirect Notice

Reactions: rtn001
H

hemifoot

I've tied my P500 down a number of ways, but have not been happy with them. I've finally settled down on using the heavier 1500lb working load ratcheting strap from Menards as the ratchet is so much better than the smaller ones. I use one strap across the front bumper. This is what I'm doing now in the rear. I welded a head on one end of a 13/16" diameter steel bar and slide it through the frame holes. I put a pin on the other end so I could remove it. A single strap works well. This gets the ratchet away from the tires and makes it much easier to secure.View attachment 137644 View attachment 137645
why not just strapping over the hitch receiver?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My set-up. After years of tying down bikes, cars, anything with shocks and wheels, I have found that tying below the springs, unsprung weight is the best way.

Tiedown

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I tow my P500 around 5,000miles a year and have secured the machine both sprung and unsprung. Can't say it makes any difference. Most important thing is that the machine is actually secured at both ends. I've seen some pretty dismal tie down jobs.

Reactions: rtn001 and lee
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
When I was trailering my ATV, tie down wasn't a problem. It couldn't go anywhere and l only had to stop forward and rearward movement. 30 inch solid sides on a 5' by 8' bed. When I bought the P500 it would not fit. A new trailer (5' by 10') cured the problem leaving me with the question "how do I secure this sucker to the trailer". Because I wanted it against the front trailer rail I strapped it so there wasn't any rearward movement, compressed suspension. This didn't work out very well as I had straps loosen and 2 times come off. I then straped from a-arm around the center rail support back to the opposite side a-arm. That cured my problem, no forward or aft movement. Nope! Now the front bumper is bouncing up and down on the rail where before it only rubbed.
I next talked with a friend that drove a car carrier and another friend that owned a tow company. Both said they were required law/rules to secure to the axle or a-arms or frame and could not compress the suspension. Tire straps could be used as long as fore and aft movement was stopped.
I next searched the forums and read the back and forth on how "I secure mine" and the reasons why I do it my way and why I don't use other ways. You've all read it, so no reason to repeat it.
I did see the Erickson securing system and liked what I saw. Bought a set for front and rear at Tractor Supply, on clearance. I strap one or both rear tires for short trips and all four for long trips. I have had only 3 problems with this system. Two of which were operator error, read that as "I screw up". The third time I only strapped the front tires and found the rear could and did bounce, on a ruff road, to the side against the rail causing some problems when unloading. Again I should have known this could happen as the front tires no only go around they also turn left and right.
This is my story as to why I do it my way and do not suppress superstition. I would suggest you do it the way you feel is best and safest with and the heck with the rest of us. Just remember you have 1025 pounds plus behind you and in a sudden stop situation it is going to try to keep moving in the direction of travel. And yes I do know you are a very safe driver and it was the other guy who pulled out in front of you. Ask that 1025 plus pounds it cares. Please secure it for your and others safety. My rant is now over and I am off my soapbox. Lol. Safe travels and have fun.

Reactions: trigger
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been hauling ATV's on trailers for a long time. The Erickson set up is the only thing that keeps them in place. It takes all the suspension movement out of the tie down that puts slack in no matter how well you ratchet down. It really works well.
I have nothing bad to say about Erickson, BUT that statement simply is NOT true. Although I have never owned them I KNOW there is at LEAST one other method that keeps them just as secure ..... lol.

I just came back from doing my food plots in MO. I pulled the load 550 miles up there and 550 miles back. My Pioneer did not move .1 of an inch in that 1100 miles. It was not necessary to re-tighten the straps even once. I attach the hook on the bottom side of the frame on all 4 points. The suspension is NOT compressed and the ride is rock solid. I have made the trip numerous times and KNOW this configuration to work perfectly. If you magnify the pic the strap configuration is partially viewable.

520db8cdd83ebaeb9e3d02eb1b66f5fd jpg

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
This is pretty entertaining to read:D, asking best way to secure something is like asking which brand makes the best truck(Ford, btw Lol) lots of differing opinions. I’ve never tried or seen the Erickson tie-downs, pretty slick looking. According to the Honda manual they recommend tying the P500 down on 4 points, 1 on each side of the front bumper, and 1 on each side of the rear frame upright. So that’s what I’ve been doing in the short time I’ve owned and hauled mine, with no problems or straps coming loose. Interesting to see all the different ideas though!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is pretty entertaining to read:D, asking best way to secure something is like asking which brand makes the best truck(Ford, btw Lol) lots of differing opinions. I’ve never tried or seen the Erickson tie-downs, pretty slick looking. According to the Honda manual they recommend tying the P500 down on 4 points, 1 on each side of the front bumper, and 1 on each side of the rear frame upright. So that’s what I’ve been doing in the short time I’ve owned and hauled mine, with no problems or straps coming loose. Interesting to see all the different ideas though!
I agree on the entertaining part! HA!

Reactions: rtn001 and Zaleski
Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Harbor Freight has these bonnets, they work well. I would never compress the suspension on a vehicle to tie it down again.

pFive - I'm currently using the same straps you are on the rear tires, but would like to start using them on the front, too, like you have in this picture. Question I have is - where did you anchor to with the strap that runs over the front rail of the trailer and goes down? I can't tell from the pic. Thanks for the help in advance.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Use a combo, on my old Ford truck loaded backwards. Front wheels on custom tailgate are tied down, so body of machine can move on its own suspension. Have ratchet straps, with built in rubber dampeners on each side of cab ties to e-track system so it limits body movement on machine. Seems to be best of both worlds for now. Will take better pix next time it’s loaded. Winter pix with skinny wanker truck tires on 🤣😂😝
5EE3FE40 8E0D 4620 942B 6AECE354E914

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When I picked up my Talon (first SxS) I just grabbed what the dealer had to get me home. Two of the straps worked perfect and I still use them, at that time, one front one rear. I returned the others, unused. Later I saw Home Depot had 2" x 26' straps for $9, hard to pass up, although probably made in china. :oops: Since all the straps had metal hooks and I didn't want to scratch the trailer any more than necessary, I bought some 3' axle straps to use as 'soft straps' protecting the paint.

Having seen how the suspension will compress, no matter how hard you pull down, I make no attempt to compress the suspension - the low angle allows it to work without trying to suppress travel.

Motorcycle shop - $48 for two.
I VKT8cPQ L

HD, $19 a pair (only using one here).
I B4HdSdz L

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!