P1000 Sedona Ripsaw & Kanati Mongrel Experience?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing so much experience on here to help new folks. I've done a ton of research on here as well as other SXS forums on these two tires, but since I'll be picking up a P 1000-3, thought I'd ask here:

Who has run these tires, in what conditions and terrain and what was your experience?

In addition, specifically I'm looking for your experience of getting flats or not?

Thanks,

Steve

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run 28” Ripsaws, 8 ply with quad boss tire sealant. Excellent in deep snow. Very tough sidewalls. I’m running about 4.5 lbs. with beadlock rims. I use them on very rocky trails all summer then on the same type of trails in winter with snow. The rocks are very sharp so I abuse these tires pretty bad. I personally wouldn’t run any other tire. I’ve posted more info here: P1000 - Tire buying guide - Rough trails, high altitude and snow

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the rip saws on my outlander and never had an issue. They were a good tire and never had a flat. My buddy had the mongrel and didn't like them. He said any time it was wet or slick the tread was too stiff and they didn't bite well. I like the look of the mongrel but from my experience the sedona is a better choice.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Rears
Ripsaws on factory rims.

Marc1991

Marc1991

Nov 30, 2020
New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
one of the guys in there group I ride with has the rip saws, he does a mix of asphalt (getting to and from the trails) , hard pack, mud. specifically the HMT in southern WV. He's told me he has about 2000 miles on his ATM and he probably has another 300-500 miles left on them. No patches or plugs. Running them on a 2008 Polaris ranger 800.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve only ran a few types of tires for long term, Ripsaws and Bighorns (or big horn knock offs) but have rode with many in various condition with multiple.
We trail ride a lot, very little pavement, some dirt road and a lot of bushwhacking going over anything and everything to make a path. A few times a year we run in deep snow both dry and wet.
My opinion on the Ripsaw is it’s a very very tough carcass and very long lasting tire. We bought our set in 2015 for our p700 at the time, they are still going after putting them on 3 different p1000 and finally on our Polaris quad, so a total of 5 machines. Still some life but they are getting hard and chunking off now. 1000’s of miles, they go forever, but again not much pavement usage. Never a flat! They are tough. Good in rock and sticks, decent on pavement and hard packed dirt but they do vibrate at high speed. Absolute crap in snow, they don’t release the packed snow and tend to spin however they don’t chatter the drivetrain as much as others because of the limited traction. Had a couple machines up when different tires were about the same tread life and they continued to be stuck with others driving around me, same in mud. Mud isn’t exactly it’s favorite either they tend to pack up and get slick in heavy clay mud. Do ok in light mud. But again no flats so I’ll give them much credit there. They are so stiff that ride is compromised but they will run in very low pressures.
I definitely prefer the Bighorn tread pattern, it’s so much better in slick conditions so that’s what I run even with the sidewall issues, I’ve noticed the aftermarket versions of those to be better. Also BH does really well on our Wolverine but it’s much lighter especially loaded up and has less power so it’s not asking as much. The 1000 is very hard on tires imho.
I have not owned Mongrels so I can’t personally say much.

Last edited:
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I run 28” Ripsaws, 8 ply with quad boss tire sealant. Excellent in deep snow. Very tough sidewalls. I’m running about 4.5 lbs. with beadlock rims. I use them on very rocky trails all summer then on the same type of trails in winter with snow. The rocks are very sharp so I abuse these tires pretty bad. I personally wouldn’t run any other tire. I’ve posted more info here: P1000 - Tire buying guide - Rough trails, high altitude and snow
Thanks. Your post was actually what put the Ripshaws on the map for me as I'd be using it for getting to access points for hunting, in addition to around the property.

I've heard conflicting experiences with the Ripshaws in snow, with some saying work well and others saying they simply dig you into a hole.

Is it a depth of snow level possibly that's causing the different experiences?

Reactions: Lady01
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya idk personally, I’ve heard people say both ways. My only real complaint is the snow and mud. Multiple times we had to follow other machines in deep snow, especially the wetter stuff. I assure you I’d run them if they were better in the slick stuff because we never had ANY other issues with them.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks. Your post was actually what put the Ripshaws on the map for me as I'd be using it for getting to access points for hunting, in addition to around the property.

I've heard conflicting experiences with the Ripshaws in snow, with some saying work well and others saying they simply dig you into a hole.

Is it a depth of snow level possibly that's causing the different experiences?
I run in snow up to 2’ and I’ve never dug a hole with them in 4 years. And I’m sure I’ve got more miles in the snow then anyone. I’d say they were probably running way too much pressure if they were digging holes. Running at high speed 30-40, I’ll get some drift in the wide sweeping turns but that’s true with most tires in the snow.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My only experience with either one of these tires was a buddy showed up with brand new Ripsaws on his P5. They looked BA and I was experiencing tire envy. Had a good ride and ended up at a scramble area, lots of hills and sugar sand. Watched him try this hill 3 times and not make it. Would get a good run at it and about 2/3 the way up would dig holes. Watched a Ranger try and fail too. Made it up the first run on a set of BH's.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How has your experience with the Ripshaws or Mongrels been on pavement at the higher speeds?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I run the Ripsaws also on my LE. 2300 miles on everything from Colorado to Tennessee. No flats and no sidewall failures. The are heavy and tough!!!!

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran the Mongrels on my Foreman before I got my Pioneer and loved them. Although I’m not a mud hole guy, we have that thick, red clay type mid in MS that really gums up in the treads and the Mongrels never left stranded in the mud. We also have a lot of gravel roads and I could open her up and track turns with the utmost confidence. That’s where they really shine IMO. They also don’t throw a lot of mud or rocks either. I ran them at about 4 lbs/ pressure (probably could have run them flat and never known the difference). I had them for three years by the time I sold the bike and you would have thought they were brand new by looking at the treads unless I told you otherwise. If I were to go AT’s again, I wouldn’t consider any other tire personally.
Ff56d9e2cd4dd03df7bcffab468ed583
9e78d7b76e30e92d1226f38e6f37d681
C8d2c82fedc9aa92d7c8691750aa4394

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks guys. Realize that the Ripsaw is not DOT legal so need to find out if that's a no-go in Montana where can drive on street. Thanks.

Did you ever find anything out about if there are issues in MT street-wise with the Ripsaws? I would doubt they would bust your balls too much over it, but then again with my luck they'd take me to the clink.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I didn't find anywhere that specifically said you need DOT tires. There are other states that seem to indicate that in the websites that gathered all the state by state regulations on street legal utv's.

I might call someone to be 100% sure, but think it'd be fine.

However, looks like I'll get a Talon x4 instead of a Pioneer, which can handle 32" tires. Want to run the Ripsaws but only go up to 30", so we will see.

Did you ever find anything out about if there are issues in MT street-wise with the Ripsaws? I would doubt they would bust your balls too much over it, but then again with my luck they'd take me to the clink

Teammontana

Teammontana

Apr 3, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The street legal in Montana requires DOT certified tires. It depends on who would check your machine as far as the DOT is concerned. If they are anti motorized, they will likely look at the tires. If you check the DOT on many of the UTV tires out there, you won’t see a DOT certification number on them, just DOT. Basically means they tested them on the dyno run but they didn’t apply for an approval spec number. Technically not DOT approved without the corresponding number but most don’t look past the DOT on the side. These are usually marked “off road use only” so that really voids any DOT markings. Sedona tires are designed to exceed DOT highway use but since the machines they are designed for are not street legal, there are legal ramifications by saying they are street legal. Off road groups have managed to get approval to go into Yellowstone National Park with SxS but I will guarantee the entrance stations will be checking for DOT with certification numbers, so you will need car or light truck tires. Personally, I am running 28x14 Ripsaws on my P1000/5 and currently have over 4000 miles and have about another year on them. Plowing, trails, and roads have been no problem other than plowing 12” of heavy snow uphill with ice underneath. Heavy asphalt use with deep lug tires like the Ripsaw will likely cause visible cracking at the lug base due to heat and stress, but I haven’t seen any lugs come off the casing.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had ripsaws on my rubicon for years here in PA. IMHO, they are a great tire. I understand the idea that they dig holes. If you find anything that may be soft, you gotta go into it committed. That being said, if these tires won't get you there, you shouldn't be there in the first place. These will be one of the first mods to my P1K5 if it ever shows up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!