P1000 Sedona Rip Saw R/T Load Rating enough

Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 on order, to be here someday. I'd like to swap out tires right away, mainly to have all 4 the same size, but also for a better trail tread pattern. I'm not sure if the Rip Saw would be the best, but I love the pattern and tread depth. The problem I see is that the 28x10R14 version has a load rating of 535 lbs. Total weight rating for the 4 would be 2,140 lbs, and take out the 1,700 lb machine weight and you are left with a 440lb load capacity. Just the weight of the 5 people in my family that would ride in it is well more than that. Add that to uneven balance point, and hills etc, and it seems that it is just too light of a tire for the 1000-5.

What doesn't make sense is that it is an 8 ply tire with many people saying how heavy duty of a tire it is. That it is made for UTVs. That it has a tough hide, great for rocks. But it has a low load rating. It is also rated at 8psi. Is that why it's load rating is lower? My experience is all Automotive and mostly HD Trucks, where load rating is very important and can cause big problems. Also increasing the pressure increases the load capacity greatly. So could I get the sedonas and run 15psi in them?

Otherwise I'm looking at getting the Carlisle Versa Trail which shows 675 lbs per tire, or 140 lbs more than the sedona each. Plenty strong enough. Good tread pattern, but only 3/4 inch deep. Which would probably work very well for us. We do mostly trail riding, in a couple areas. A couple main trails are mostly rocky, gravely, hilly, with some light sand and dirt. But we do go on other trails that are just hunting trails with fewer hills, smoother rocks, and dirt. If it is wet, then it is muddy, but not usually deep mud. Shallow mud with water. There are places that have deep mud, but that has never been all that appealing to me, so we avoid those areas. I think just about any tire will do well in the fields around our house, but we would like to take the roads (paved and gravel) to get to some close trails, which we have never done before with the ATVs, and I don't want the tires to wear faster than the factory ones for sure. Sometime in the last few years they opened the National forest behind us to ATVs. The national forest literally begins less than a mile behind our property, but we'd need to take roads a few miles around to get there.

I doubt we'd need the extra traction of the Sedonas, and not sure it would be worth it if they wear much faster. But they look like a really nice tire for the money and tough enough to withstand the sharper rocks. We have two ATVs that we used to ride until our family grew with a third kid, so we haven't been out in the last two years, hence the SxS order. We have had some tire damage on the factory tires. Plus I'm not happy with the amount of wear. One has 1100 miles and the other has 600 miles. I also don't want to have to put it in 4wd every time we climb a rocky hill because it is shooting rocks out the back at the next person.

Long story short, I would love to have the extra traction of the Sedona Rip Saws with the deeper more aggressive tread, but am worried about the weight and if they would wear fast. Does anyone have them and can let me know how they do with the 1000? How are they wearing?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

UTV/ATV tires ware like hell! no matter the brand! All depends on the terrain and driver! Just buy what makes u feel warm and fuzzy about. Might like them or not. Eventually youll find what works for YOU!!

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also interested in this topic. I've been looking at tires for the spring and came across the rock a billys and trail saws but also found the extremely low load rating. Seems like the low load ratings is across the entire Sedona lineup. To me this wouldn't be a huge deal if just trail riding empty, but it does concern me given the utility nature of the pioneer.

That said, from the comments above and elsewhere people are happy with the Sedona tires on UTVs, so who knows.

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never really paid much attention to the load ratings. Even when I had a 4 seater and often had 4 in it, I just bumped the air up a bit and they seemed to handle it fine. OG big horns, rip saws, and others that didn't have the load rating that someone over at SxS Nation would have a fit about.
I've come across a few statements on the internet (so you know it's true) that ATV tires had to be rated at lower pressure for some reason, and if you'll notice, the ones that are higher do tend to be at higher pressure ratings, which kinda supports that a bit. YMMV!

Reactions: Lady01
Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the Pioneer. I got the Remington wheels. I got the Rip Saws. Noted that they were rated at 8 psi and the machine calls for 20 psi in each tire. Not worried about the load rating any more. They are clearly a heavier duty tire than the factory tires. I also came to terms about the wear. My life is so chaotic, that I don't think I'll get thousands of miles racked up in a few years to wear them out either. Don't even have 2k on our atv that we've had for 8 years. I've only taken the machine on one shorter ride so far, all went well, still stock except for the windshield. Never took it out of turf mode. Rocky trail with a lot of puddles and a couple semi muddy spots. One long muddy area where beavers built a dam on the other side of the trail, flooding it. Traction was never an issue.

I mounted the new tires on the new rims today, and put it up on the hoist. From my measurements (wheels off, no suspension compression) the rears are exactly one inch narrower than the front. Front A-arms are longer than rear so they may stick out further with weight on. I got 1.25" spacers for the rear to compensate for the set of four identical wheels/tires. Stock tires are being put on our ATV. Fender flares, roof, winch, aux battery, lights, and new tires/wheels are ready and waiting to be put on. But it has been started.

Reactions: ChadD
Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tore two sidewalls on rocks at 15psi. When I went down to 8 psi no more rips.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been running the 28-10-14 rip saws on HD-9 bead locks with a 5+2 offset and a 1” spacer on the rear to even the track at 10 PSI for 2 years now with 0 issues. These have been to RRB several times in the past 2 years, again, 0 issues. I did get a cut in 1sidewall the first trip out, but has not been a problem. I’ve climbed up rocks sloped through mud and they have not let me down. It’s a great tire if your in those conditions, you will be happy. And because we have a rule here that states… Pics or it didn’t happen…
D672DD79 B9FA 4EEA 9A9F 04B824BD9611D6B42795 9896 44CB 9BDD ADDEFAD90DD8
You might want to look into Mud Busters also…
BB35847E C931 49F6 BBAB 66774CBED7E9

they throw mud great.
Good luck and remember Pics or it didn’t happen

Reactions: 1border4manu
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had 28" tires with the 600lb load rating. I now I have 30" tires with a 1200lb rating and the stiffer sidewall definitely handles better, drives better on road and allows lower tire pressure without bead locks.

The 28s were a great tire and definitely wore less. Quadboss QBT846. The QBTs drive great on road and don't wear at all. They slip on everything but sling a little mud.

The 30s are EFX Motovators and they are a tough tire. The EFX tires shine on rocks and hard pack and wear on pavement. They pack with mud and they barely climb ruts. You don't get stuck deep so at least winching out is easy

Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the mud busters already. One is partially on. Shouldn't have to worry about slashing tires. Rocks here are all smooth, well almost all. Not at all rock crawling.

I have a tire changer and mounted the new tires on the new wheels myself. Dismounted the factory tires and mounted them on wheels for my ATV. The rip saws are significantly stiffer than the factory tires. They are a little heavier, but the new wheels are a little lighter.

20220816 184819 20220816 184732

Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally finished installing the fender flares, winch, and second battery. Threw the rear spacers on and the tires. Put it on the ground to check it out, not going to work. Tires rub at full turn. 28x10-14 Sedona Rip Saws on 5+2 Remington wheels did not fit without rubbing at full turn. Close but not going to work on my '22 1000-5. Thought I would be fine by what I read on the forum, but now I'll have to find some way around it, because the tires look like they'll work great. They certainly look more than 1" bigger than the factory tires. I can only assume that they run slightly larger than normal, vs many others that run true to size or slightly smaller.

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally finished installing the fender flares, winch, and second battery. Threw the rear spacers on and the tires. Put it on the ground to check it out, not going to work. Tires rub at full turn. 28x10-14 Sedona Rip Saws on 5x2 Remington wheels did not fit without rubbing at full turn. Close but not going to work on my '22 1000-5. Thought I would be fine by what I read on the forum, but now I'll have to find some way around it, because the tires look like they'll work great. They certainly look more than 1" bigger than the factory tires. I can only assume that they run slightly larger than normal, vs many others that run true to size or slightly smaller.
Pictures of the spot they rub? You can likely massage it with a heat gun. Do you know the offset of your 5+2 wheels, zero offset wheels like mine are a struggle to keep the tires off springs and tie rods. +30 offset tends to tag fenders

Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They rub on a bump out on the inner fender well. Both sides.

20220901 201842 20220901 201834 20220901 201818

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They rub on a bump out on the inner fender well. Both sides.

View attachment 351772 View attachment 351773 View attachment 351774
A few options given the slight contact;

Drive it and see if you actually notice, there's a good chance you use full lock less than you expect because the Pioneer turns so well

Add steering stops, the kit is $24 from SuperATV, I have one I can send you otherwise.

Heat the area where the tire rubs with a heat gun or torch til it looks wet, place a 1x4 board 12-24" tall in the area that rubs and turn the tire into the board. Hold the board until the plastic cools. Repeat til you have clearance

Reactions: CID and ChadD
Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stand corrected, they are not 5+2 wheels. They are 4.4+2.6, 10mm offset. They don't contact the a-arm or tie rod. Just the inner fender. I don't think it would make much of a difference if they were 0mm (4+3) or 25mm (5+2) offset. Tires are contacting close to the center of the tread.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What tire pressure are you running? They seems to have a more curved tread profile than other tires. Do they still rub at 12-13psi?

Reactions: ChadD and TripleB
Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I put them at 15psi to start. I'll try dropping the pressure. But I may try warming the plastic and moving it out of the way a little.

Z

Zigblazer

Dec 28, 2021
NE MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I've learned. ATV tires are load rated, but not necessarily at their max capacity, some are, while some are rated for expected use giving a lower rating at a lower pressure. This fact I did not know before, which is why I started this thread in the first place. I have an auto/truck background, where tires are always rated at their max capacity at max psi and usually ran at a lower psi to match the lower weight actually on the tire. Factory tires on these are lighter duty than the sedonas but rated at a higher load using more pressure (20psi on mine). Being these are heavier I guessed a lower pressure of 15psi. While I know they are not rated for this much weight at 8psi, I can assume the correct pressure lies in between 8-20psi. I would guess they would live a while at 8 psi and not have problems, but would be flexing more than designed that would eventually lead to a premature failure. Not to mention the uneven wear that could come from what would essentially be underinflation.

I am willing to try dropping the pressure to 12psi, but not 8psi. I am into everything I do for long term. I don't buy anything, especially something that costs so much, to only have it a few years. Unless something major happens, I will still have this sxs 10 years from now, if not 20. I'm not willing to sacrifice longevity to make something work right now.

Reactions: Backwoods
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
fwiw: I'm running 10 lbs. in tires load rated at 1985 @ 50 lbs. inflation (Talon, not Pioneer). Underinflation is a bigger problem at max load ratings and sustained speeds. BFG K02 for the curious. We can't plate here so I'm almost never on pavement.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!