Seeing if I can make sense of lug nut torque

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Getting ready to mount the new STI HD3 aluminum wheels. I'm seeing torque numbers all over the place. Anywhere from 30 to 98 foot pounds. I'm reading stories of busted and/stripped lugs to wheels falling off (at 98#!!). Others say forget the torque wrench and just "get them tight". It seems, general consensus, that aluminum wheels should be roughly twice the torque of steel wheels. Although, the P500 owners manual says 98 foot pounds for the factory steel wheels. Obviously, not going to 196 pounds for these STI's.
So, what are the "experienced experts" doing and why....both good and bad experiences?

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
I asked STI for their recommendations.
The answer I got back said: "Thanks for the inquiry, all ATV/UTV's are different, you should refer to your Honda Pioneer owners manual for the torque specs."
I guess that means there is no concern of damaging the wheels, regardless of torque applied! I also guess I should not concern myself with, or believe for that matter, the experiences of others, good or bad.

M

michaelbach

Aug 26, 2013
Tighten them, ride around for a little while and then check them all again.I've done this for years with no problems. Every time you put a wheel on ride around then check it

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks michaelbach, I think you're right, too much is made of all this precision. Don't see why this should be any different than what I've been doing on automobile wheels for over 50 years. Only had one wheel come loose when in my teens, and that was when I got distracted (probably a girl walked by!) and drove off with finger tightened lug nuts....less than a mile and I could feel the wheel wobbling!.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Agreed with above. Always a good idea to double check them.

As for me.. I have never use a torque wrench on my lugs and always double checked them. Most of the time anyways. (same distraction as above.. lol)

Now that you are aware of the issue i'm sure you want have a problem going forward. It happens to the best of us sometimes.

Edit...
Sorry, getting you confused with the other member who had a wheel fall off.. lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also.
As this has not been mentioned we should bring up the "star pattern" for other readers to reference.

The "star pattern" means tightening the lugs in a pattern similar to a.... star! (if it had 5 lugs.) It is a multi step process.

Snuggly seat them first, starting with opposite two lugs. Tighten them so the wheel is butted up with the hub. Now do the other two lugs. Once all 4 are seated, repeat, following same direction fully torqueing them to required tightness. Take a drive around the yard a bit and recheck.

You should be all set.

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
I put dry grease motorcycle chain lubricant on the threads too.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Regardless of my experience and beliefs, since I spent the money on a torque wrench, I went ahead and torqued the new six spline lug nuts to the Honda P500 owners manual specified 98 foot pounds and didn't damage anything....that I know of!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It should hold. But.... I would take that wrench with you and recheck once u get a hour or so riding in. If any are loose.. I would bump it up to 100 lbs.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the advise, I'll keep an eye on them, don't want anything falling off.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!