P1000 Shackle on OEM front bumper

BackYardSigns

BackYardSigns

Apr 5, 2017
Auburn, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only picture I could find but angle makes them look like they are low. Just a pair of tow hooks from harbor freight and mounted rear holes with factory lower bumper mount, just got one longer with same thread. Then pivoted up till it hit the bend on the bumper and drilled the front hole through the bumper. Has not hung up at all and easy to find when buried in the mud hole.

WP 20170401 23 01 30 Pro

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
doing a cable clamp like this is appealing as well. you can tighten it down so the shackle doesn't move all around

View attachment 56431
Def out of box thinking...idea is cool

BUT something to think about is,
I would be wary that is a clamp not a shackle the steel the bolt is made if is not intended for that type of stress.

Reactions: Dragon21
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Def out of box thinking...idea is cool

BUT something to think about is,
I would be wary that is a clamp not a shackle the steel the bolt is made if is not intended for that type of stress.

I would agree. A u-bolt really offers no load carrying capacity for a side load as the threads will bend and buckle, this particular clamp includes the insert that would resist some of the bending load but it's not intended for this application. Any kind of side pull is likely to break the u-bolt. For a tensile load (straight line pull) it would work ok but there's not rated capacity that I can find. This type of joint is intended for use in shear as the clamp load works well for holding a cable in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon21
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
for those that have shackles mounted on their front bumper, how much pulling have you done on them? I got a few shackles recently and trying to decide on a mount. But before I go through all that, id like to know how well the bumper will hold up.
WHich aftermarket bumper do you have installed?

Formula1

Formula1

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am using these, I should get them back from powder coat tomorrow. I'm mounting them to the stock bumper on each side of the fairlead.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Didn’t want to start a new thread. Here’s what I just installed 3600# D-rings from local store. Aluminum spacer, washers and lock nuts on the inside.

View attachment 318193 View attachment 318194
Looks good! I did that back in 16’ had it a few years till it tore right though the bumper. Those are more for looks or real light pulling.
2BEC29D9 61CB 495C 9CDA 6B7972C8509D
Then I upgraded. To a better bumper, some man shackles and welded the brackets on. Much better!
7E0783FD 4FAB 4A4E B212 A8EBF6C14C80

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My front shackles like that lasted 8 miles. Bought my second Pioneer and needed a front tow point. Added the eBay 3/4 shackle mounts with backer plates. Went out for the break in ride. Snapped a left front axle shaft at 6 miles and fought to get back to the truck with just 3 wheel drive. Ripped those shackles through the bumper. Wouldn't recommend them to any one. 2500 miles later that been the only broken shaft on Pioneer #2. And the stock bumper got pitched within the first year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!